DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '88 Mercury Grand Marquis. I got it for 2k with only 30k on the odometer. I need a stereo in a bad way. My tax return is going to be in the 1500-2000 dollar range and I'm gonna start another DIY setup for this car. I am gonna go active for sure this car, but I can't decide whether to go 2way or 3way, and what equipment to buy. Last setup was lpg 26na's, excel w12's, and dayton rs180's in my mustang. I don't want to use any of that stuff, but I might end up using the daytons.

I am pretty sure I am gonna run a 15" xxx or avalanche and whatever amp I can get my hands on to power it. Thats the easy part. The hard part is deciding on a front stage, and head unit. Thats where I can use some help. The mercury has no speakers in the doors, only some 3 or 4" in the dash. Thats the bad part. The good part is that the dash is flat as a ruler, and the kicks have a ton of space. Would it be worth my time to try a 3 way in that car even though there isn't room in the doors for a midbass? Or should I run excel w18's to a tweeter to be named and be happy with that?

A beautiful midrange is most important to me, and I can run tweeters in the dash or on the a-pillars. Ribbon tweeters and a behringer 2496 would be fun to play with so I kinda would like to try them out. Nothings concrete and the budget can extend up to about 2500-3k. Please let me know what you would do.

Thanks a bunch,
Gordon

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Seems like you had a very good setup already.

If you're looking for a change, what about using some of the Tec planars up high in the pillars with a pair of Aura whispers in an MTM arrangement? Then a pair of 7" mid/bass in kicks to round out the frontstage. Behringer 2496 is a great idea as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking, after doing more research, that a diyma compact tweeter paired with some 7" (w18, lotus, etc) would be pretty nice. I have a few more questions though. I really want to use the behringer since I have a laptop now, but I need more information on it. Would the balanced 6pin wires from a denonford 8250 be able to be converted into the xlr? Also, is there an improved way to power the 2496, or am i gonna have to either buy a power inverter, or get the navone device? Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts