DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda bored...wanna try out some cheap 5.25's and see if i can't get some more output down low than my silver flutes are giving me...midbasses and mids just aren't meshing properly....and it's bugging me...

so....found 2 drivers:

a decent vifa..... http://www.madisound.com/pdf/vifa/a13wg09-04.pdf

and a nice little audax.... http://www.madisound.com/pdf/audax/VP130Z0.pdf

for awhile they will be running up to 4k or so....until i get the dayton ref tweets....and then....they'll be dropping to 2k or lower :)

any opinions?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually i could do those instead...i might have the depth too....or i can take the cup off :)

running the peerless xls 8's right now...for midbass...

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Dayton RS are great speakers. Easily worth 2 to 3 times their asking price. I am using the 6" & am too using the XLS 8 as midbass. The shielding comes off easily.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you have the room to keep the shielding on I'd leave it on. One guy I know just ordered a set, and ruined both speakers debucking :0

·
Registered
242 Posts
my advice on debucking them is to build spacers, (similar to the ones you build on doors ) for the daytons to lay inverted on. Then wrap the shield with a towel and use a rubber malet to loosen the shield. Hammer straight down on all around the edge of the shield then pry gently with a flathead screwdriver. This worked pretty well for me.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It's easy to shift a magnet this way. I was browsing PE last night thinking of the bucking magnet removal. The bucking magnet is attached to the backplate which in turn is attached to the pole peice. The pole peice is suspended EXACTLY in the magnetic gap so not only is it held in by glue but is also floating there. Any substantial shock can cause the glue bond to fail and slam the pole peice to one side of the gap, pinning the VC in place.

I have never seen a failure originating from the front plate, either the back plate comes loose or the magnet itself cracks in the middle and shifts the assembly, most of the cracked magnets I have seen are from RCF drivers used in Mackie portable speaker cabs.

I am pretty much dead set on these drivers in the new car. I think during the magnet removal I will secure the back plate in a vise and knock the bucking magnet off, this will aleviate the stress to the glue bond from the back plate to the drive magnet. Hopefully there will be enough edge depth to the back plate to grab ahold of in the vise.

Now I just have to decide if I have the room for the 7" of if I'm stuck with the smaller driver :)

Chad

·
Registered
989 Posts
Too bad Dayton never made that non shielded, 4 ohm version. I'd be happy with a non-shielded 8 ohm version, sheesh, how hard is that?

·
Registered
120 Posts
cam2Xrunner said:
Too bad Dayton never made that non shielded, 4 ohm version. I'd be happy with a non-shielded 8 ohm version, sheesh, how hard is that?
there was talk of them doing this awhile back. nothing ever happened though :(

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah, i had a hell of time debucking them too. I ended up being left with 2 7" woofers that dont work anymore, and the magnets are still attached... :( pissed me off too, 60 bucks down the drain, AND I NEVER EVEN GOT TO HEAR THEM!!! :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts