DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New 6.5" 10mm+ Xmax RAW Driver: Purifi Audio PTT6.5W04-01A Midwoofer (SPECS & REVIEW)

Purifi Audio 6.5" PTT6.5W04-01A Midwoofer

A brand new Long Stroke 6.5" Midwoofer manufactured in Denmark with some Very Interesting and Unique Technology (including a wild-looking surround and a 4-layer voice coil) that is designed to not compromise the midrange detail and coherency.

The impedance curve, FR, and HD plots alone give you a good picture of its potential performance. :)

All of this information AND WAY MORE is taken directly from the HiFi Compass website review.

To start, just read the list of people involved in forming the company and their credentials. ;)

...But there is A LOT more in-depth information on the web Link below:

https://hificompass.com/en/reviews/purifi-audio-ptt65w04-01a-midwoofer

As a side note: Pricing would be quite attractive if we were to put together a Group Buy! See below. :surprised:

Lars Risbo on the unconventional 39mm Diameter, 24mm Tall, 4-LAYER Voice Coil:

"The 24mm Ø39mm 4 layer coil is responsible for the higher moving mass. It adds about 10g compared to a shorter 2-layer coil of a typical medium stroke 6.5” midwoofer.

The paper cone is actually lighter than typical polypropylene or aluminum cones. The larger coil gives the benefit of high Bl and power handling which enables operation in small sealed boxes with use of lots of bass extension EQ.

Since we also achieve very low coil inductance Le then the midrange response is uncompromised, i.e., the driver is still very ‘fast’ despite its higher moving mass.

It’s like sportscars: the top speed is set by its power and friction/drag not by its mass (a Bugatti Chiron is about 2 tons of mass yet extremely fast). However, a bigger motor is more heavy – the same applies for speakers."

So, here are the key highlights from the HiFi Compass Review of the PURIFI PTT6.5W04-01A midwoofer:

• Modest Sensitivity - 88.2 dB/2.83 Volt*1m
  • Huge Linear Voice Coil Excursion - real 10mm each direction.
  • Real working PURIFI Neutral Surround technology.
  • Hard cellulose based fiber-filled cone having no significant breakups.
  • Very Even Sound Pressure Frequency Response (On-/Off-Axis).
  • VERY Low Harmonic Distortion.
  • Very Low Motor Air Noise at low frequencies (unlike Scanspeak 18wu).
  • Excellent Intermodulation Distortion.
  • Very Good Craftsmanship/Build Quality.
  • Excellent Impedance Frequency Response.
  • Can be used in a 2-way loudspeaker up to the 3kHz crossover point.
  • Except for the high mass of the moving system (26.8 grams), there is nothing more to complain about (but see Lars Risbo's comment regarding that).
You can get more information about the measurement results here...

https://hificompass.com/en/speakers/measurements/purifi/purifi-ptt65w04-01a

PRICING: (as of November, 2019)

Lars Risbo: We are working hard on getting the web shop operating - hopefully within a few weeks. This is mostly for DIY'ers. Currenty, the planned prices are:

DIY pricing:

$390 @ 1-2
$334 @ 3-4
$279 @ 5-6
$230 @ 7-9
+VAT (depending on country)

OEM prices are on quotation.

The FULL REVIEW is EXCELLENT and incredibly detailed. It includes much more information, including more independent test measurements, and comparisons to other top-tier drivers.

It's amazing to me how far traditional loudspeaker transducer design can still be pushed, and the incredible performance that can be attained.

The manufacturer-supplied Data Sheets and some Photos of the driver:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: New 6.5" 10mm+ Xmax RAW Driver: Purifi Audio PTT6.5W04-01A Midwoofer (SPECS & REV

Is that price for a single driver or for a pair?

·
New CAJ Member!
432 Posts
Re: New 6.5" 10mm+ Xmax RAW Driver: Purifi Audio PTT6.5W04-01A Midwoofer (SPECS & REV

Freaky looking surround but very cool.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Freaky looking surround but very cool.
I agree. It doesn't really look like it would keep the cone linear at all, but it obviously must! Crazy chit, but I'm liking what I see.

Typically when you have high Xmax drivers, you will naturally gain more output in the low frequencies, but that output usually will not be as clean or "fast" sounding because that extra cone travel also increases stored energy, i.e. more time before the woofer cone comes to rest after receiving the input signal.

So I'm really interested to hear these in terms of their low-end definition at moderate to high levels, in addition to their overall FR and clarity.

It's a great time for speaker evolution and revolution. I'm also liking the concept with the innovation Pioneer has developed with their two side-driven motors connected to a folding-hinge "surround" and square or rectangular diaphragm. Other than the slim car audio subwoofer seen in the video below, I don't know if this technology has been put into actual production. See the video below regarding Pioneer's "Horizontal-Vertical Transforming" technology (HVT) at around 1:54

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

Isn't like 30-50% of surround supposed to add to cone area. With a surround like that. I'd think you'd have different response at seat by simply turning the driver 90 degrees on the same baffle plane.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

The design of the surround is to essentially make it disappear, so that it will not add any
breakup resonances at the cone/surround junction. And it's more like a 7" driver than a 6.5",
so that probably makes up for any losses from the "invisible" or "missing" surround.

It would be interesting to test the driver rotated 90° in the baffle, though both the
manufacturer's and independent frequency response measurements in the review don't
show any detrimental off-axis response IMO. And sensitivity remains relatively high, so
I don't think the loss of the surround's usual cone area contributions are significant.

The height of surround at any point around the perimeter is less than the wavelength
any of the higher frequencies that the midwoofer will typically be crossed over at, so
frequencies within its recommended passband will not be obstructed by it or interfered
with in any significant manner.

Frequency - Wavelength - Period Chart

Read the notes below the chart for some interesting facts, such as, "The Boesendorfer
Model 290 Piano has 9 extra sub-bass notes down to the low C (C0) at 16.4 Hz". And
"The 'middle C' on a piano has a fundamental of 261.6Hz, but also various combinations of
both even-numbered and odd-numbered harmonics, typically all the way up to 16,744 Hz.
That's the 64th harmonic!"

·
Registered
137 Posts

My god the measurements are beautiful. I've heard people claim they don't need a sub, but with these, it may be getting pretty close (and they wouldn't embarrass themselves in a two-way system either). Very impressive!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My god the measurements are beautiful. I've heard people claim theydon't need a sub,
but with these, it may be getting pretty close (and they wouldn't embarrass themselves in a two-way system either). Very impressive!
Agreed. Unless I'm missing something, the measurements point to almost unobtainium levels
of performance. :)

·
Vendor
2,377 Posts

Very cool design. I dig the surround. :)

Long'ish coil but layered accordingly. The entire coil isn't 4 layers. LMS, hence the slightly lower sensitivity. Neat to see it being used though.

Speaker connections will cause this forum's head to explode though. ;)

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts

Very cool design. I dig the surround. :)

Long'ish coil but layered accordingly. The entire coil isn't 4 layers. LMS, hence the slightly lower sensitivity. Neat to see it being used though.

What's wrong with the terminals? Do the cool kids not use speakers with spade connections anymore?:laugh:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Haha. I'm one that much prefers simple spade terminals. I think any other type of terminal is unnecessary, except for maybe just having pre-installed pigtails on tweeters, or also on traditional, largish subwoofers. Most other terminals are unnecessarily bulky and just get in the way when mounting, especially spring-push terminals on drivers under 10".

I've never experienced a problem if the proper high-quality spade connectors are used. But I typically solder pigtails directly to the speaker and use the XT60 or the small Anderson Power Pole connectors to enable quick-disconnect if and when needed.

I can see where the general public equate shiny/bulky/fancy terminals to mean that the speakers themselves must be "high end", but I look past that and look at the actual design and measured performance of the driver. ;)

Enough of my derail...back to the topic. :p

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts

Haha. I'm one that much prefers simple spade terminals. I think any other type of terminal is unnecessary, except for maybe just having pre-installed pigtails on tweeters, or also on traditional, largish subwoofers. Most other terminals are unnecessarily bulky and just get in the way when mounting, especially spring-push terminals on drivers under 10".

I've never experienced a problem if the proper high-quality spade connectors are used. But I typically solder pigtails directly to the speaker and use the XT60 or the small Anderson Power Pole connectors to enable quick-disconnect if and when needed.

I can see where the general public equate shiny/bulky/fancy terminals to mean that the speakers themselves must be "high end", but I look past that and look at the actual design and measured performance of the driver. ;)

Enough of my derail...back to the topic. :p
Let's not forget about push terminals on tweeters:laugh:Give me a pre-installed pigtail any day of the week on those.

·
Vendor
2,377 Posts

What's wrong with the terminals? Do the cool kids not use speakers with spade connections anymore?:laugh:
You were around during the TM65 mkI days weren't you? Those had spade terminals and people went berserk on here.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts

It's somewhat surprising the tinsel leads aren't 180 degrees from each other. Electrodynamic can probably offer some insight as to what impact this would have on its performance. Just curious.

Add me to the group buy list. Assuming specs are even remotely close to the actual performance of the driver, then I can't justify not testing them.

·
Registered
365 Posts

My god the measurements are beautiful. I've heard people claim they don't need a sub, but with these, it may be getting pretty close (and they wouldn't embarrass themselves in a two-way system either). Very impressive!
I doubt I would be happy without a sub based on modeling IB in WinIsd

Modeling it in a QB5 box it is a beast for midbass though

1 - 20 of 40 Posts