DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having some trouble getting my amplifier to power on, despite sufficiently thick gauge wire for both power and ground, both tightly crimped with a hydraulic crimping tool.

So when messing with the wiring connection terminals of the amplifier i accidently touched the remote start wire coming from the head unit to the battery power terminal screw and noticed the light come on. I tested it again for a slightly longer time and noticed that the green power LED light activated along with the logo lighting (Boss).

Is any able to decipher what this may mean in relation to my amp not powering on?

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the amp comes on when you touch that wire to battery, there's nothing wrong with your amp. The head-unit should be putting out 12V on that wire when it's turned on to signal to the amp to turn on...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the amp comes on when you touch that wire to battery, there's nothing wrong with your amp. The head-unit should be putting out 12V on that wire when it's turned on to signal to the amp to turn on...
The part that I can't figure out is why it won't do the same when connected to the remote start terminal. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
There is a remote in/ignition generally red and a remote out/amp turn on which is generally blue or blue with white stripe

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Use a test light or multimeter to test the amp turn on or remote out of your headunit… if you don’t get 12-14 volts when the headunit is turned on then the headunits remote out is likely damaged

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check to ensure that when the HU powers on, voltage is being sent to that wire. I run my HU remote to trigger a relay, which provides switched 12v from the dist block. As long as the voltage is low enough to trigger the relay, amps come on.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
what happens when you take a short piece of wire and jump from the +12v on the amp to the Remote turn on terminal?

·
Registered
2019 Camry XLE Hybrid
256 Posts
what happens when you take a short piece of wire and jump from the +12v on the amp to the Remote turn on terminal?
Should do the same thing as touching the positive on battery.

Like stated above, DMM the voltage coming to the remote at the head unit off whichever wire the Remote is connected to. Head unit output may be bad. No worry, can tap into a fuse for accessory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use a test light or multimeter to test the amp turn on or remote out of your headunit… if you don’t get 12-14 volts when the headunit is turned on then the headunits remote out is likely damaged
I just got my multimeter in the mail today so I'll be testing that tonight or tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should do the same thing as touching the positive on battery.

Like stated above, DMM the voltage coming to the remote at the head unit off whichever wire the Remote is connected to. Head unit output may be bad. No worry, can tap into a fuse for accessory.
When the remote turn on wire is plugged in, touching a different small wire from +remote to the +12 on the amp powers it on properly. When using the wire to connect the +remote and +12 parts of the amp but without the wire connecting it to the head unit it does nothing.

So jumping it only works with the remote wire connected to the head unit, yet that head unit connection alone doesn't work to power it up strangely.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XLE Hybrid
256 Posts
When the remote turn on wire is plugged in, touching a different small wire from +remote to the +12 on the amp powers it on properly. When using the wire to connect the +remote and +12 parts of the amp but without the wire connecting it to the head unit it does nothing.

So jumping it only works with the remote wire connected to the head unit, yet that head unit connection alone doesn't work to power it up strangely.
What head unit is it? To make sure, put positive probe on remote and ground on ground with the radio on. You should be seeing 12v+. If not, the remote out on your head unit is out. Also, what amp is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts