DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

So I bought a 1999 Ford Explorer over the past week and the head unit stopped displaying. Looked the issue up in your fine forum and it turns out this is a common occurrence. I always wanted a nicer sound system, (nothing top of the line just robust in general), and I want to do it the right way. I know I have a lot of electronics in the car so I would need to know the basics as well. I honestly don't know much about the components of aftermarket car audio systems.

Could you fine forum members suggest a nice stereo/speaker setup as well as pointing me in the right direction for basic car audio knowledge? Much thanks gents :scholar:

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As for a budget, I'm looking to put anywhere from $100 - $300. And I would like to set up a system nice enough to bring to a park one day and pump some tunes out of the car with nice quality.

Thanks for the basic info link btw!!!

Once I read more up on the subject I could probably answer the question of "What are you looking for?" more in depth. For right now I just want a basic upgrade with an aftermarket sound system.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
For that amount of money, you can get a new source unit along with the appropriate dash kit & wiring harness - and that's about it.

For an actual "system upgrade" which would include one or more amplifiers, new speakers, power wire and probably a subwoofer enclosure you would need to spend 3 or 4 times as much for it to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For that amount of money, you can get a new source unit along with the appropriate dash kit & wiring harness - and that's about it.

For an actual "system upgrade" which would include one or more amplifiers, new speakers, power wire and probably a subwoofer enclosure you would need to spend 3 or 4 times as much for it to be worthwhile.
Ahh gotya. I feel like I'd be doing a disservice to your community if I only got the aftermarket head unit, but then again that's all I really need. Would the sound quality be any better if I had bought and installed a mediocre head unit and a new set of speakers?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why not do this in stages? $100-$300 will get you a stereo. Next paycheck or next time you have some more money, get a component set. After that, add an amp and sub. That will be an upgrade you're probably looking for.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Do you want to replace all of your stock speakers or just the ones up front?

What types of music do you listen to & at what volume do you prefer?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not do this in stages? $100-$300 will get you a stereo. Next paycheck or next time you have some more money, get a component set. After that, add an amp and sub. That will be an upgrade you're probably looking for.
That definitely sounds like what I'm looking to do. I will definitely head down this direction! So I'll start with the Head Unit. I'm looking through Crutchfield right now and the low end JVC looks nice [JVC KW-XR610].Have any suggestions?

Do you want to replace all of your stock speakers or just the ones up front?

What types of music do you listen to & at what volume do you prefer?
In time I'd like to replace the whole system like Angrywhopper suggested. Do you have any tips for buying speakers? And on a usual drive to work I'll listen to everything except country lol [R&B, Classic Rock, Rock, Rap, EuroRock, Techno] Variety is the spice of life

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to close this thread and summarize my work done:

I bought the Sony CDX-GT700HD Receiver with the correct wiring harnesses, also I hooked up the factory subwoofer as well as installing 4 Polk Audio DXi570 5"x7" Coaxial Speakers. The setup was for my 1999 Ford Explorer 4door Eddie Bauer Edition with the Mach sound system already in it. The stereo probably only took an hour and a half because we were in the dark and it was our first time doing a stereo setup and the speakers were a breeze because I've done them before [10 mins each door]. The quality is excellent and I'm super pumped to have them installed. Thank for your help everyone!

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts