DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New beater car install yesterday. GOT TO LISTEN TODAY!

Anyway...

I recently received new drivers for my 1996 VW Golf GTI VR6. They were installed in the stock locations to replace the Diamond HEX passives I had in Q-form panels. It took me all day to just deaden one door, take out the Q-forms, run new speaker wire to the amp, and figure out how to shoehorn the mids in the doors. But the cool thing now is that it looks completely stock. It is now 10:00pm and I will have to wait to tune it tomorrow. I didn't even turn on the head unit to see if everything worked or not. The anticapation is killing me! :D

The new system is thus:
Alpine CDA-7998 actively running...
USAmps 5600X (w/ the very hard to find 3rd RCA input)
Dayton RS tweets
Seas Lotus Reference mids
1 10" Adire Koda sub in hatch

This will be my first time tuning an active system. I am glad I am starting with a two way for the first time. That way I can use this experience on my up coming three way system in my VW R32.

Hopefully my new camera phone will be working tomorrow so I can post some pics.

Cheers!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I figured out the 2-way/3-way procedure on my CDA-7998 and started to tune!

Of course all of the following is only my opinion, your milage may vary, to each his own, one man's junk is another man's treasure, caveat emptor, ect....

Wow! :D Let me say just straight out of the box before any tweaking I was already impressed. Going from Q-form kickpanels to the stock locations magically created a soundstage. My Dayton RS tweets are on top of the dash with my Seas Lotus in the doors. Elevation! I finally have elevation! Now my ears can enjoy the music better than my knees. ;) The sound stage does not extend outside the car. But it is a vast improvment from before. I was so used to a strong center image that I forgot how separation sounded. I am still getting used to it. I haven't figured out how to have a wide and centered image yet. The L/R levels match and I have messed with the TA some. But it still needs work. I guess I have to figure out the right amount of TA for the soundstage to stretch across the whole dash and not just the corners.

As far as tonality is concerned, I feel like a bride at the alter. THE VEIL HAS BEEN LIFTED!

The Dayton RS tweets simply blow out my silk Diamond Hexes. Everything from voices, piano, and strings sound great. A metal dome sounds too harsh for me. I like the sound of the cymbals and the "air" of a metal dome but do not like the harshness that it usually brings. This tweet seems to have the best of both worlds. It has a nice shimmer without becoming too sibilated. I'm guessing that the angle of the tweets pointing straight up at the windshield has something to do with it. I have 75W powering these things and that is plenty.

It is really not fair to compare my old Hex 5.25" mids to the Seas Lotus Ref's. But I am going to do it anyway. ;) [nods head] So that's what midbass sounds like! It is soooo nice to have the majority of the bass information up front instead of the rear hatch area. Everything sounds quick and precise. The lower octave sounds nimble and separated. I know that after break-in that these will really sing.
I just have two issues. (Which may/may not be specific driver related.) First is that these seem to need more power than I have. I am feeding them 75W and it doesn't seem enough. I had to lower the levels of the tweets to match the Lotus Ref's. When I was setting the gains on the Lotus's, the midrange frequencies (not midbass) would definately distort before I reached my target volume level. Which leads me to the second. I have a hole in my system. When listening to The Eagles - Seven Bridges Road I am used to hearing every voice the same level. No one was more pronounced. However, I do not even hear the lowest voice with the Seas. It is like he is not even there. I boosted the EQ around 125-250Hz where the voice is placed which seemed to help. I do not think it is enough.

Well, if you guys/girls have any suggestions please do not hesitate to chime in. I know I will still be tweaking in the weeks to come. But overall I am very happy with this new setup. Maybe I'll have pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hi Michael, glad you're happy with your new setup... :)

Couple things you can try... check the phase on your mids... and proper level match the mids and tweeters...
the Dayton RS dont need much power at all... i dont think mine has seen anywhere over 5w and that's enough to get very loud...

What's the crossover freq cuts you're using?
btw, the link isnt working...

Regards
Leo

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
aaaattts a pretty cool car! I dig it! Beater my ass!

I'll getcha a pic of my beater... It's fast as all get out (supercharged pickup truck) but don't look so good after 140K miles of HARD labor.

Chad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.