DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about two and a half speakers working in this car, order these Kickers dsc650 off of amazon. Much louder than the almost completely blown front speaker. I quickly realized that that metal stamped steel bracket is not going to be very good for any sort of speaker, so I read through this forum on fixes but didn't quite find what I was looking for. For the rear I came up with this idea to use black expanding foam to seal up all sides of the steel and two reinforce it, I saw expanding foam used for two subwoofers to seal up tight spots against a vehicle before when the entire trunk was used as a box so I said what the hell, let's do it.

I wish I would have had more time to think this over, I don't mind this styrofoam sealing up the forward part bottom and back part, but the top part I wish I would have sealed up those holes at the top to give the speaker a little more air volume. I an feel the steel vibrate, should have just cut some mdf to size and fitted it over the panel.

I don't think this speaker has enough Air volume but it does sound very good, what do you guys think?

The front is getting the Tupperware mod

· Registered
2016 F-150 XLT Screw
544 Posts
Foam isn't going to reinforce anything, should help with some sealing.

You could lay cld tiles on the inside and out, or glue/rivnut some lead sheet to the steel to damp the resonance down.

· Premium Member
368 Posts
From where you are now: I would get a fairly dense foam fast ring to couple the speaker to the rear side panel when you reinstall it and call it a day. The volume of air behind the speaker is large enough in those MKIV VW chassis (I've owned and modified 3 of them) that your efforts won't be rewarded with just a set of Kicker DS series coaxial.

If you were extremely cautious: you could do brace from roughly the center of the large plate to the exterior panel behind it. In this scenario you'd want a fairly large base to body epoxy and then a joint connection to the metal plate with a removable fastener for future serviceability. This would brace your weakest point and remove most of the vibration you feel in the plate when it's playing. Be advised that interfacing with the interior surface of an exterior panel carries risk of accidentally causing a visible dent on the outside if you goof something up, so proceed with caution.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies.

one of the new ds650 just started crackling, but I already threw out the box, so I am opening the other box and going to try the other set, then use those in the front.

If I enlarge the rear opening, what would go nicer, 8" subs seem like they will fit nicely, or go for low profile 10"s?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.