DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok people....It seem no one on this forum ever documented a full custom install for a Infiniti Q50 with the Bose Audio system. So here is a run down of what the system will consist of.
i plan to stay with the factory Bose Radio then run signals to a JL Fix 82 which will provide a balanced stereo signal to a Helix Dsp.3 processor . The processor will feed signals to two Zapco Z150.4ii amps.
.The first Zapco Z150.4ii amplifier will Power the Audio Frog GB10 and GB25 mids which will be installed in a custom A Pillar.
The second Zapco Z 150.4ii first 2 channels will power two audiodevelopement w800neos 8” Midbass drivers in the front doors and the other 2 channels will be bridged to power a single GB10D4 subwoofer....
I might do a custom fiberglass enclosure or just go infinite Baffle....That’s still up in the air with my installer.
i will post pictures of the entire install :)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 1 of the install officially started today...

The defrost vent on the A pillar might have to be bypassed to accommodate the mids and tweets.

panels already removed in the trunk area...Thinking about upgrading to a shallow mount 12” sub instead of the GB 10” sub.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 2..

Gb25 rings Taped and cemented together.

Trying to figure out amp placement

This brace may need to be modified to house the Audiofrog 12” in the corner trunk side.

speaker templates needed to figure out mid and tweet positioning.

2 layers of Kilmat ( poormans dynamat 🙂) for both front doors...and only 1 layer for the rear doors.

Trunk link layered with sound deadener

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looks great so far. I really wanted to pick up one of these when I was looking at cars a few months back. Ended up with an Accord coupe v6.
Fitting an 8inch in the stock location would be awesome.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 3.
Hit a little snag in the install. The midrange had to be installed in the dash instead of the A-pillar because of the location of the airbag safety strap. So only the tweeter will be fabricated to fit in the A-Pillar

A-Pillar will now only house the GB10s

First layer of Fiberglass for the Sub enclosure.

Only one layer of Deadener for the rear doors because I decided not to go with any rear speakers.

3rd layer of fiberglass added....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day 4...

The Neo 800s side by side with the factory 10” Mid bass driver.

AUDIOFROG GB 25 had to be installed on the dash on acrylic plate.

tweeter cut out before fiber glass is added .

Trunk area cleaned out before Deadener is applied.

Amp Rack Cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
DAY 5.

The project just hit a huge snag....The original idea of placing the amp rack in the abandoned spare tire well had to be scrapped because we would increase the floor height to 3.5”...I travel a lot and luggage space is important and I am not just ready to give that much space...So plan B is to move the amps behind the seat and build the Processor rack in the spare tire well...

Speaker Rings fabricated to house the 8” mid bass drivers.

Speaker Plates completed.

So the problem with the old amp placement will cause me lose way too much trunk space because the cover for the amp rack would take too much height....😩

So new Amp placement will be right behind the back seat. Then the second lower level would be for the processor rack and distribution blocks. 🤞

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAY 6.
Not much done today...The speaker rings for the Neos were sealed with fiber glass and painted. The new Dsp rack was finally built. Decided just to have the Helix and Fix displayed. The distribution and ground block will be hidden.

Neos speaker rings ready to be mounted.

Updated Amp and Dsp Rack setuo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAY 7

New Northstar battery installed. Power and ground wires ran and also all new speaker wires ran..

Factory 10”sub removed and rear deck Will be dampened with 2 layers of Kilmat.

More Kilmat applied to fender well.

Power wire already routed from the battery to the rear.

New Northstar Battery installed to power the system...The old stock battery was nit gonna cut it.

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
Do you know for sure you need the Fix? I've worked on Bose system Nissans all the way up to 2013 Infinity and they all had a good signal coming from the Bose HU. All the factory processing was done at the amp.

The install is looking good so far.

·
Registered
858 Posts
seems crazy to me that you wouldn't utilize the factory 10" opening in the rear deck to house either a better aftermarket IB 10 or build a mount below for a larger sub.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
seems crazy to me that you wouldn't utilize the factory 10" opening in the rear deck to house either a better aftermarket IB 10 or build a mount below for a larger sub.
A 10” IB was definitely an option....that rear deck was quite thin and the cost associated with building a panel to give it support was not really worth it...Plus I heard some IB woofers Before and I did not like the sound.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
DAY 8
Today was a lazy day since it’s a Sunday...All that was done today was the Neos were mounted and wired up to the baffles. Sound deadener was added to the headliner.

The top cover for the amp rack was fabricated. It came out real nice and is a tight fit to the corners of the trunk.

Gb25’s Wired up and ready to be installed.

A stinger Circuit breaker was added because there was no space for a Fuse Holder.

Headliner removed...Went ahead and disconnected the 2 microphones that calibrate the dreaded Active Noise Cancellation that comes with the factory Bose system.

2 Layers of Kilmat added to roof.

Neos installed and wired up the baffle.

Back of Neo...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DAY 9.
My installer was working on getting the fiberglass enclosure fabricated to fit the GB12.

Front Baffle for sub.

Front Baffle.

Enclosure about 60% complete.

Angled view of Sub enclosure.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts