DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Day 10
A-pillars almost complete. Amp rack painted and fans installed.

Pillars almost complete.

Amp rack painted and cooling fans installed.

2 layers of Kilmat added to entire trunk floor board.

3 layers of Kilmat added behind sub enclosure area.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
DAY 11.
Lazy day 🙂....The schematics I got for the Bose Amp was not accurate...My installer had to test each wire then check on a RTA to make sure the Fix was getting a full range signal. 😩

Neo midbass finally installed in Both front doors.

All Power and Speaker wires ran and secured.

Enclosure coming together. Gonna have about .8 cubic ft for the GB12.

Trunk Dampening about 90% complete...Wiring from the Bose done finally....

Since there is no 8” acoustic foam ring on the market...Had to improvise and use Aircon Foam...🙂

Killmat added to dash trim where the GB25‘s going to be installed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
DAY 12.
Sub temporarily installed to figure out location for top piece for Dsp cover. Doors and panels installed back and never ending search for a charcoal carpet to match the stock interior.

Hmmm not close enough..The search continues.

Heated shrink added and battery install complete.

Sub enclosure almost done...My installer is doing his best make sure it blends in with the factory panels by adding fillers.

Car is slowing coming back to one piece.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Really nice build, man, this thing is going to sound great!

One question though, why were the threaded insert nuts screwed in from the outside of the sub enclosure's baffle??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Really nice build, man, this thing is going to sound great!

One question though, why were the threaded insert nuts screwed in from the outside of the sub enclosure's baffle??
Hmmm not sure....I know my installer was going to add a pressed grill to protect the subwoofer....I will ask for sure.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Hmmm not sure....I know my installer was going to add a pressed grill to protect the subwoofer....I will ask for sure.
I would definitely ask him to put them in from the inside like they're supposed to be... It's great that he is using them vs. just drywall screws, but screwing them in from the outside is a mistake I wouldn't live with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DAY 11.
Lazy day 🙂....The schematics I got for the Bose Amp was not accurate...My installer had to test each wire then check on a RTA to make sure the Fix was getting a full range signal. 😩

View attachment 268406
Neo midbass finally installed in Both front doors.

View attachment 268407
All Power and Speaker wires ran and secured.

View attachment 268408
Enclosure coming together. Gonna have about .8 cubic ft for the GB12.

View attachment 268411
Trunk Dampening about 90% complete...Wiring from the Bose done finally....

View attachment 268412

Since there is no 8” acoustic foam ring on the market...Had to improvise and use Aircon Foam...🙂

View attachment 268413
Killmat added to dash trim where the GB25‘s going to be installed.

Do you which wires he used to connect the fix i"m installing mine today in a 2018 RS

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Day 12
Amp rack wired up and mounted to rear floor board.

Amp and distribution blocks wired up. And also the LEDs for both the amp and Dsp racks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Day: I lost count :)

My installer decided not to send me any more pics:(. Since his shop is on the other side of town, I just had to wait until the big reveal. The install is about 95% complete....He is just finishing up the pressed grill and cover for the dsp rack. His first impressions without any tuning the subs and Neos sounded very good....The Mids and highs definitely needed tuning....He told me not to worry . I will be picking up the car today and will post final pics of the install and my overall opinion of the system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Final Day

A-pillars came out nice with the GB10s...

Passenger side Pillars.

top view of the amp and dsp rack.

DSP Cover

GB SUB ENCLOSURE

Decided to Add LEDS for both Amp and Dsp racks.

Amp Rack with pressed Grills...Came out real nice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok...First off all I need to give a huge shout out to Mr Tam Nguyen from SLA Acoustic in Houston for installing my system....The dude knocked it out of the park.....So the all important question is how it sounds. Compared to The stock Bose System , there is no comparison...
The GB Mids and highs are truly spectacular....I auditioned the Focal EX and thought the highs were a little too forward..The GB10s are very warm and not fatiguing at all....The GB 25 is breathtaking...I just can’t believe I am getting so much sound from such a small speaker....The Neos definitely put out some serious Midbass....The GB12 sub is just the right amount output for me...I am no bass head 🙂
The Helix Dsp is real nice...I was told not to mess with the settings....I will probably let the speakers break in before doing any future adjustment.
So after about 1 hr of listening to the system...It’s kinda weird it does not sound like a car stereo system like the ones I had in the past. It sounds more like a high end home theatre system. I played some high def tracks on YouTube and was blown away. Then played some normal stuff and it sounded ok..Also played some poorly recorded crap and also played the radio and was not impressed 🙂..So a badly produced track sound bad while a good recorded track sounds excellent....I guess garbage in garbage out....
I guess with time , I will have a better feel for the system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congratulations on getting the car back, the install looks very clean! I love what they did with the grills over the amps/crossovers. It could just be my eyes but the carpet on the sub enclosure looks a shade off from the floor/amp/dsp rack, otherwise I like!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Congratulations on getting the car back, the install looks very clean! I love what they did with the grills over the amps/crossovers. It could just be my eyes but the carpet on the sub enclosure looks a shade off from the floor/amp/dsp rack, otherwise I like!
It’s the same carpet...could be the lighting 🙂

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I recorded a short snippet of how the GB setup sounds in my car...the track is from a group called InfectEd Mushrooms.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love listening to infected mushroom, their music really sounds crisp and packs a deep hard punch! Crank that sucker and I'm all smiles. LOL. Gorgeous build by the way!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Love listening to infected mushroom, their music really sounds crisp and packs a deep hard punch! Crank that sucker and I'm all smiles. LOL. Gorgeous build by the way!

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Appreciate the love bro...I was messing with the helix Dsp and I actually wanted to hear how low the NEOs Can go...I dropped the Neos to 50hz and the midbass extension went bananas....I think I am going to get with my installer and have him retune with me present to the types of music I listen to....
So far I have no regrets taking the Neos over the GB60s 🙂

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fyi... I scoped the factory Bose HU and at max volume I had 3.5V and zero distortion.

I also was able to use the pre amp signal wires straight into the Helix. I just spliced RCA's onto the front right/left pre amp wires in the trunk. So if you ever wanted to ditch the JL Fix you can.

My car is a 2013 G37S sedan w/ Bose NAV and 10 speakers. A pillar tweets, center channel, 4" mids and 10" midbass in the doors, two rear door speakers and a 10" sub in the rear deck. I'm pretty confident it is the same exact system in the Q's.

Just passing info along if you want to let your tuner know....

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts