DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do something different with this one... The goal is LOUD with a fair amount of SQ, and a sorta inconspicuous installation as it will be parked with the top off sometimes. Unfortunately, there will be no chrome anywhere in this Jeep, so the AudioFrogs will all be for sale.

I am thinking 3 way:

Midbass
It has small pods in the dash, that might be just about useless (I'll have to pull them out and take a closer look), so I am thinking about midbass in the kick panels. No clue on what drivers to look at.

Tweeters/Midrange
The dash has some midranges I believe, so there is some room up there, but not much. Drivers must be small, thin and sealed back, but no clue on those either.

Sub
I can't fit more than a 10" if I want to down fire the sub in the trunk. It has to be a beefy 10", though, it will get 2,000 watts at 2 ohm. Or maybe two 8"s.

Source
Fiio X5 digtal to dsp

DSP
MiniDSP 8x12 with Dirac Live

The only equipment I am keeping from my previous are the amps, Mmats Hifi6150 (150 watts x 6) and M2000.2.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David you bought another Jeep!!!!!!!!! Hurray. Now I have to hold off on finishing mine to see what you do. Dam you. Lol.
Yeah, man! For personal reasons (divorce) the Trackhawk is not happening right now, so this is the substitute! :)

I loved my 2016 JK, and this thing is even better!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the new Wrangler!! hmmm.... can't wait to see what you mean by sorta inconspicuous installation lol
Well, I am going to "try" to keep it stealth this time, but I often say that and then end up with ornaments on the dash!! Lol

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O sorry to hear that. Yes the new ones are nice lov mine. But more noise then the jk. Just remember everything you make you have to make 2 of. One for me lol
Ok! Lol

I find mine to be slightly less noisey before sound deadening, but I also remember deadening made a big difference in my 2016 JK...

What size speaker did you say would fit in the pods?? I am trying to decide if I should go with kick panel mids bass or try to make something out of the pods...

·
Premium Member
8,871 Posts
Ah... so this is where all of your other posts are coming from? :D

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
i think metra now has dash pods to fit a 6.5 speaker in the dash... but same problem air volume..... thats why i did the door pods,,, way better defiantly have the mid-bass i was missing. gb 25 in factory dash... the dash grill is the same shape as my door grills so i might do dash pods with the tweet and mid-range and try to keep the same shape... my install is pretty much done for now, playing with tuning,, i just need to try and get my stage higher up....looking forward to see what you do bud... i,m here if you need support lol...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah... so this is where all of your other posts are coming from? :D
Otherwise it would have seemed as if I'd lost my mind, right?! Lol

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think metra now has dash pods to fit a 6.5 speaker in the dash... but same problem air volume..... thats why i did the door pods,,, way better defiantly have the mid-bass i was missing. gb 25 in factory dash... the dash grill is the same shape as my door grills so i might do dash pods with the tweet and mid-range and try to keep the same shape... my install is pretty much done for now, playing with tuning,, i just need to try and get my stage higher up....looking forward to see what you do bud... i,m here if you need support lol...
Thank you!

Interesting about your stage height being low... I had that issue at first in my JK, but playing with crossovers and of course EQ fixed that pretty easily.

One idea I have had with the pods is using them, but enlarging them closer to the volume needed. Picture a tumor type enclosure added on to the pod. It would be really cool to have a truly sealed midbass enclosure with the correct volume! We all know that doors are never actually sealed unless the driver is isolated from the window area...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
8,871 Posts
The Metra pods might be a better way to experiment with enlarging the pods, rather than hacking up the factory ones... At $54 per pair, I'll probably try these first. I wish I could find info on how much cu.ft. they are.

With the pods being a smaller sealed enclosure and not quite as exposed to the elements compared to a normal door install, it might open up quite a few options from the raw driver side of things. If you get some, take volume measurements and fitment dimensions (diameter, depth, etc.) and I bet we can find you some really nice options. One thing you may have to do, once you've got them in hand, is see how much additional sealing and bracing they may need to stand up to a more robust driver.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the pods being a smaller sealed enclosure and not quite as exposed to the elements compared to a normal door install, it might open up quite a few options from the raw driver side of things. If you get some, take volume measurements and fitment dimensions (diameter, depth, etc.) and I bet we can find you some really nice options. One thing you may have to do, once you've got them in hand, is see how much additional sealing and bracing they may need to stand up to a more robust driver.
I will for sure... I think the potential is there for it to perform as good as a door, as long as there is a reasonable amount of volume and matched with an appropriate driver... Again, I don't mind taking the time to enlarge the pod, too.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey David i did a quick 2 hour tune tonight. this is my results so far.. so there might be hope for the JLU lol..
Looking great, man!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Looking good! A down firing sub setup should work good in the back. I haven’t worked on these newer ones yet. A older sport I worked on had the tomb stone tweeter in the dash, midbass enclosures in the dash. Worked well using them for midbass, I just use the hybrid audio mirus V convertable in front and the coaxial version in the rear. They sounded pretty good for the money ($250 a set and $200 for coaxial) played very loud and still had good sq. To be honest for a Jeep setup that all I will ever use going forward. Then used a Audiomobile 10” sub on the tailgate. It sounded great as well, with great output.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Following! Just got part of my JLUR done. PacPro to Zapco ADSP-Z8, Hybrid Legatia L3SE in factory dash location, Unity 2 ohm 6.5" in the Metra pods and a Sundown SD3 10" in a sealed box right now. Sub is only getting 240 watts right now and seems way underpowered. Looking to swap out the sub and feed more power to it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts