DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I dropped the Morel mids into the dash and they look like they were made for that location! Also, the supplied Morel tweeter mounts are surprisingly perfect to simply mount to the factory grille! Sorry guys, no exciting custom work on the tweets and mids, this was too easy! Lol

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here is the MW6 (almost) in the Metra pod... It is much closer to fitting than I thought it would be. I'll make a baffle for the speaker and trim the opening a little, and that should do it. It's very plasticy though, so I think I'll line the inside with something, but I am not sure with what yet. The outside will get a full cld wrap...

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Here is the MW6 (almost) in the Metra pod... It is much closer to fitting than I thought it would be. I'll make a baffle for the speaker and trim the opening a little, and that should do it. It's very plasticy though, so I think I'll line the inside with something, but I am not sure with what yet. The outside will get a full cld wrap...

maybe try lining with the bondo and resien mix.. cant wait to hear your results on those pods..

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
you lucked out, so no extra templates lol.... well once it warms up here i will be doing custom dash pods...keep going bud.
Lol! Not yet!

I am going to see about making these pods bigger... One of their sides has to have a little room to add on to, and I'll put the aperiodic vent at the end of the add-on. Or maybe I'll test them like this, because my JK (after venting) sounded really good and I think the pods are about the same size as these ones, IIRC.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
maybe try lining with the bondo and resien mix.. cant wait to hear your results on those pods..
That is a pretty good idea to make it stiffer... I could even give it a layer of fiberglass wrap.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
For those of you who buy my used gear, here is one of the things I do to protect stuff while fabricating and installing... Amps are wrapped in a couple layers of shrink wrap and then taped along the edges. On top of that I am really careful, as one little slip or a dropped tool can really do some ugly damage (as we all know).

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got a little bit done. Sound deadener in and around the tub and then carpet put down with spray adhesive:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Reactions: diy.phil

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Reactions: dgage

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I got the power and ground wire done... A first for me, I ran the power outside the vehicle with it tethered to the frame with a combination of wire clamps and zip ties were appropriate.

Reactions: imickey503

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Here are the mini distribution blocks in side the tub...

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
knu distro block? looks like the same ones i used. Like the compact simple design
Yep, that's them... I have used them a lot and I like them too.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Finally had a little time!

Here is a comparison of the factory pod vs the Metra. Unfortunately, the Metra is slightly smaller than the factory one, but it's my only option... There is no way the factory one could be made to hold a 6.5".

I cut a hole and epoxied in the aperiodic vent.

Rough cut for the 1/2" birch plywood baffle

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Btw, I have seen a few videos and read instructions on how to remove the driver side speaker pod on the JL, and they all say that you need to disassembled most of the dash. This is absolutely not true. I removed my pod quite easily by taking out a few of the screws and simply pulling the lower dash panel back enough to drop the pod out. Very similar to how it's done on the JKs...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Are the Metra Boxes Glass FIber Reinforced Plastic? Or just Plastic / ABS? Would there be any benefits to internal bracing of the Metra unit? And have you been able to hear a difference between the ABS and other enclosure types? My mind and experience say yes. From an Instrument viewpoint, the quality of the materials matter. I just wonder at what point does mass vs stiffness not matter when it comes to Plastic vs wood or Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber for that matter?

Somewhat off topic, but would a 3D printed enclosure work better here since you can control the contours and the bracing? Even match the volume requirements of the drivers? With how most Cars from the factory simply let the door be the enclosure? Or the Dash? This seems like a perfect way forward then just fiberglass? Less labor and faster results and less inventory would also be really cool.

I'm guessing that as soon as the Speaker Brands start to do this with their drivers by including a CAD file for that years and makes of cars, they can better tailor make drivers for a car that work very well that would be drop ins and bolt ons.

Its already fairly easy to get the Space dimensions of the doors and speaker locations. I'm guessing in the future, folks like Bravia Works may offer stuff like this in the future. Same for companies Like Morel or JBL with their cost no object separates that they are offering now.

In fact with the serious amount of Image manipulation horsepower software we have now, just a few photos could in theory be all you need for a computer to map out a custom enclosure design for the space you need.

It does make me wonder since you used a Plywood on the front baffle. In your opinion, is there a very audible sonic difference instead of using something like ABS of the same mass you can hear? Or measure in your application?

It just does not seem right to put Super High end drivers in an ABS box :)

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Are the Metra Boxes Glass FIber Reinforced Plastic? Or just Plastic / ABS? Would there be any benefits to internal bracing of the Metra unit? And have you been able to hear a difference between the ABS and other enclosure types? My mind and experience say yes. From an Instrument viewpoint, the quality of the materials matter. I just wonder at what point does mass vs stiffness not matter when it comes to Plastic vs wood or Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber for that matter?

Somewhat off topic, but would a 3D printed enclosure work better here since you can control the contours and the bracing? Even match the volume requirements of the drivers? With how most Cars from the factory simply let the door be the enclosure? Or the Dash? This seems like a perfect way forward then just fiberglass? Less labor and faster results and less inventory would also be really cool.

I'm guessing that as soon as the Speaker Brands start to do this with their drivers by including a CAD file for that years and makes of cars, they can better tailor make drivers for a car that work very well that would be drop ins and bolt ons.

Its already fairly easy to get the Space dimensions of the doors and speaker locations. I'm guessing in the future, folks like Bravia Works may offer stuff like this in the future. Same for companies Like Morel or JBL with their cost no object separates that they are offering now.

In fact with the serious amount of Image manipulation horsepower software we have now, just a few photos could in theory be all you need for a computer to map out a custom enclosure design for the space you need.

It does make me wonder since you used a Plywood on the front baffle. In your opinion, is there a very audible sonic difference instead of using something like ABS of the same mass you can hear? Or measure in your application?

It just does not seem right to put Super High end drivers in an ABS box :)
They are just plastic, but it is pretty strong and there is no bracing needed. I am going to line the inside with polyfil and wrap the outside with cld, that's it.

This enclosure is not optimal for any driver, but it's all you have in a Wrangler (unless you do custom door pods like toneloc). The good thing is, this is my second time putting these exact drivers in little, Jeep dash pods, so I know it works fine... :)

41 - 60 of 162 Posts