DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
@DavidRam - Pardon the newbie question, but what do those aperiordic vents do that a hole doesn't? I cut holes in my pods and filled with poly, but now I am questioning my decision.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
@DavidRam - Pardon the newbie question, but what do those aperiordic vents do that a hole doesn't? I cut holes in my pods and filled with poly, but now I am questioning my decision.

Cheers,
-A
Well, I am not smart enough to give you a very technical or scientific answer, but here is my understanding from what I have read... We know the pods are too small and the speakers don't have enough room to breath, so obviously this helps them breath with a controlled movement of air.
This straight from Scanspeak:
Aperiodic vents lower the Q of your driver in a sealed box. They essentially makes your sealed box woofer act as if its in a box that is roughly 20% larger. We recommend using one vent for boxes up to 1.5 cubic feet and two vents for larger speakers. If your box is really undersized or if you are using a large woofer in a small box, you could use two or more, to help reduce pressure in the box.

In my JK I just cut a hole like you did, and that worked fine, but since then I have wanted to try using a vent like this, so here I am full circle! :)

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Cleaned up the baffle and painted it.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Wrapped it in CLD. It's amazing how different the plastic sounds now! It sounds thick and solid when you knock on it...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
hey David are you able to power that baby up to hear how it sounds?
Not even close, man... Nothing is installed. Empty trunk :(

I am gonna assume it sounds good and move forward with the passenger side next week... They are really quick and easy to remove it there are any issues.

With the CLD, the Metra pods plastic sounds really solid and I'll add a layer of polyfil, too. I hope the vent gives me at least the performance I had in my JK with the same speakers and just a 2" hole in the pod. This vent is approx 4.5"...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m very interested to see how well the vents work in the enclosure. Was thinking of making my own vents in the back, but I’d have to adjust the vents.
I was looking at my dash cover and noticed there’s only a small area for the 4” speaker that’s perforated in the plastic. Any plans on making more perforations in the panel for the larger speaker? Anyone have an idea how to open them up? I was thinking of a soldering iron to melt the plastic, drill them out, or razor to cut them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the CLD, the Metra pods plastic sounds really solid and I'll add a layer of polyfil, too.
I have read fiberglass insulation is better than polyfil. Any experience with it? I’ve never tried it but will once I get my pods and/ or kick panels built.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Sub's here and looks beautiful! It looks like a big tough beast, which will go well with the whole Wrangler thing...

Some nice terminals

Done

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
David you better put at least a 2 inch lift in the back of your jeep before you add that..

Wheels and tires first and next the lift... These will be here next week:

Method Roost wheels & Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/75/17

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'll decide what height lift I need after all the audio is installed... I'll keep an eye on the measurements front and back, but 2" does sound about right. My JK really got a "Cali Lean" from the Sundown sub, box and amp it had in it.

My old 2016

Here is stock NO audio

Stock WITH audio

With Rubicon springs (approx 1.5" lift)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That’s why you need such a big subwoofer, big, noisy tires. :) Look good though. Please tell me you go offroad some or are those just for looks?

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
That’s why you need such a big subwoofer, big, noisy tires. :) Look good though. Please tell me you go offroad some or are those just for looks?
Actually, they are just A/T tires that are barely louder than stock...They are mostly for looks, but I will do some occasional, mild off-roading.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They definitely look better than the stock tires which advertise for the Goodyear Blimp on the side. :) Nice looking Jeep!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
They definitely look better than the stock tires which advertise for the Goodyear Blimp on the side. :) Nice looking Jeep!
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
To you other JL guys, the factory pods are actually ported with some degree of tuning... I actually think the pod and sound could be improved upon with better 4"(?) speakers, especially if one was to determine the port tuning and match it with the aftermarket speaker.

Where my thumb is

61 - 80 of 89 Posts