DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Toneloc suggested that I start a build thread as I have a lot to learn and hopefully can contribute along the way. I have been installing and enjoying car audio as a hobby for ~20 years. This is my first vehicle with factory integration, DSP and running speakers active. All of the vehicles that I have owned and done before utilized an aftermarket headunit, traditional amplification and running speakers passive.

The goal with this Jeep is to have a stock looking, stealth install while sounding fantastic.

The gear is:
  • PAC Pro module for factory source integration
  • Zapco ADSP-Z8 IV-8 processor/amplifier combo unit with controller
  • Hybrid Legatia L3SE in the factory corner dash locations
  • Hybrid Unity 2-ohm 6.5" in the factory dash locations using Metra pods
  • Sundown SD3 10" sub (for now, not happy with performance on this amp)
Currently the system is installed and the sub is in a temp sealed enclosure while I fabricate a hidden location in the rear floor cubby. I am disappointed in the output of both the sub and midbass right now. It is there, just not what I was hoping for. The imaging though and overall clarity is fantastic. The soundstage is up high about mid height on the windshield and about a foot out on the hood. So cool...

So, now the questions. Tuning help. Also, a mic that is affordable and user friendly? Lastly, ideas on a sub? I want to use a sealed enclosure and ideally have it hidden in the rear floor cubby. I believe a shallow 12" may be able to live there with enough airspace to be happy. Anyone have experience with the JL 12TW3? I would be able to feed it 240 watts per coil as right now I am only able to feed my Sundown 240 in total.

De-stickered and already looking better. Will tint front windows to match rears and will eventually do wheels and tires.

My old Willy's I traded in on the new one.

Now the good stuff.

More to come.

Cheers,
-Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Factory midbass next to the Hybrid and Metra combo.

In place.

Currently have 2 channels feeding the soundbar for when my kids are with me or the top is off. Probably going to put them back on factory and send the extra power to a different sub.

Hybrid recommended opening the pods up. This was before deadening on the outside and poly.

That is all I have pictures of right now. Have three boxes of sound deadening and a headliner kit waiting to install. Then I will be starting on the sub box.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Oh, hell yeah! Nice JLU! What do you mean by "Hybrid recommended opening the pods up"? Did you do some sort of vent out of the back?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, hell yeah! Nice JLU! What do you mean by "Hybrid recommended opening the pods up"? Did you do some sort of vent out of the back?
Thanks, David! I'm following your 2 door build too! I can't wait to see what you do with that thing.

As for the pod, check that last picture I posted. My neighbor is an installer and spoke with Hybrid about what we were doing. They recommended we add a couple holes in the pod. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thanks, David! I'm following your 2 door build too! I can't wait to see what you do with that thing.

As for the pod, check that last picture I posted. My neighbor is an installer and spoke with Hybrid about what we were doing. They recommended we add a couple holes in the pod. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,
-A
Ok, cool. Just curious, as I did the same thing in the pods in my 2016 JK a few years ago... Your color looks like granite crystal, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to hear on the pods. I was apprehensive about cutting holes in them, but it makes sense. Yes, I love granite crystal. My old one was also that color.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Good to hear on the pods. I was apprehensive about cutting holes in them, but it makes sense. Yes, I love granite crystal. My old one was also that color.
My 2016 was gcm, too

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does anyone have recommendations for a shallow mount sub? It looks like I should be able to get about .9 cubic feet of space below the floor. Thinking about a JL TW3 12". I don't have any experience with JL stuff though...

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for a shallow mount sub? It looks like I should be able to get about .9 cubit feet of space below the floor. Thinking about a JL TW3 12". I don't have any experience with JL stuff though...

Cheers,
-A
That's a perfect sub for the space you have... The quality and looks on that sub is amazing with SQ as good as it's looks. I ran 2 Tw3 10"s a couple builds ago and was really impressed with what they could do as a shallow mount.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I've tested the JL 12TW3 as well as the no longer available SI BM MK V. If you have the depth for something like a JL 12W6, I'd definitely choose that first since it has more excursion. But for shallow depth, the JL 12TW3 is a very good subwoofer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, guys. I unfortunately don't have much depth to work with as I want to keep things hidden. I will build a false floor that would be level with the grill on the sub. I think the JL TW3 would fit perfect and it has dual coils so I can feed it 240 watts per coil. That may be my huckleberry - and it has a grill.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I unfortunately don't have much depth to work with as I want to keep things hidden. I will build a false floor that would be level with the grill on the sub. I think the JL TW3 would fit perfect and it has dual coils so I can feed it 240 watts per coil. That may be my huckleberry - and it has a grill.

Cheers,
-A
Yep, and those grills fit snug and are pretty low profile... Once again, great for tight spaces.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my hardtop deadened and the HotHeads headliner kit in. It did make a noticeable difference this morning on the commute in. Here is a look at the cubby I am hoping to stuff a sub in.

Now to start deadening the tub and scheming about a box.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
34 Posts

Cheers,
-A
Why the holes? I just installed all infinity reference in my JK 2 door....I polyfilled the pods from what I've read around the forums...I'm getting a very odd low end note. I was able to lessen it by crossing it over at 100 hertz, but I was hoping to go a little lower....I haven't installed the sub yet, so it's killing me to listen to it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why the holes? I just installed all infinity reference in my JK 2 door....I polyfilled the pods from what I've read around the forums...I'm getting a very odd low end note. I was able to lessen it by crossing it over at 100 hertz, but I was hoping to go a little lower....I haven't installed the sub yet, so it's killing me to listen to it.....
Hey Marshdrummer,
I am far from an expert, but my understanding is that this way the speakers are essentially "free air" or infinite baffle (IB). They still have a bit of chamber for back-pressure and to direct sound. The Hybrid speakers are designed mainly for IB applications. I will say that I am not getting strong midbass from the front. It sounds really good, but there is not the dig that I was hoping for.

I am going to get it deadened, build my sub box and then most likely get it professionally tuned. This whole DSP and not having gains, etc. is all new to me.

Cheers,
-A

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Marshdrummer,
I am far from an expert, but my understanding is that this way the speakers are essentially "free air" or infinite baffle (IB). They still have a bit of chamber for back-pressure and to direct sound. The Hybrid speakers are designed mainly for IB applications. I will say that I am not getting strong midbass from the front. It sounds really good, but there is not the dig that I was hoping for.

I am going to get it deadened, build my sub box and then most likely get it professionally tuned. This whole DSP and not having gains, etc. is all new to me.

Cheers,
-A
Thanks for the reply. I know I'll get flamed for this, but the stock speakers actually sounded pretty good at low volume with a nice, deep bass note. I think I'm going to take all the polyfill out and try again. Once everything is in, I am also going to take it to a professional to see what they can do with it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The holes are because that pod is WAY too small for almost any 6.5" on the market... If nothing else, pull the grommet for the speaker wires out and test it with that little opening so the speaker gets more air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a lot of room between the speaker and the grill? I have a set of 5.25” separates already from a previous install that sound very good. If there’s enough room between the pod and grill I was going to make an angled adapter for the speakers. Good idea on putting holes in the back. I may try it if I’m not happy with the sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my hardtop deadened and the HotHeads headliner kit in. It did make a noticeable difference this morning on the commute in. Here is a look at the cubby I am hoping to stuff a sub in.
Thanks for the info on the Hot Heads. Are you going to make a fiberglass enclosure?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts