DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am in the early stages of a new build with the new pickup. So for starters this is what im looking for. The stereo must be hella loud, and hella clean. This is what I have in mind thus far and would like general knowledge and experience of the products listed and discussed. If you think I could benefit from something else then please speak up! :)

Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 EXT cab
(I know Pickups are not the vehicle of choice for HiFi audio but its practical for for me) I plan on Dynamatting the floor, roof, and doors.

Speakers: Hertz HSK 165XL for the front. Woofers in the door and tweeters on the A arms. I was also looking at the HSK 163 simply for the fact it has an extra driver (would this be louder even though the RMS rating is lower?) The rear speakers I would leave stock (due to small size) and either leave connected to the HU or disconnect completely.

Subwoofers: Hertz HX 300D. Two of them under the seat, downfiring, In one of these boxes > 99-06 GM Extended Cab Ultra Deep Dual 10/12 Downfire Box < OR this one > 99-06 GM Extended Cab Ultra Deep MAXX Dual 10/12 Downfire Box < Would I benefit from the extra .21 cubic feet? And would 2 12's be WAY too much?

Amps: From the research ive done EVERYBODY likes Audison. I havent found one bad review on their products and it seems they really know what they're doing. But the price tag is steep at ~1K per amp. So my interests have moved elsewhere for the time being and ive read alot of good things about ZED audio. So with this in mind I would like some amp recommendations for around the $700 area. ZED has my vote for now and If i dont read anything to sway my decision thats what I will go with. I planned on using the MINOTAUR for the subs and the DRACONIA II for the speakers.

HU: I recently purchased the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS and am a little disappointed at the lack of audio control I have (crossovers, time alignment, etc.) So For now consider this gone since I will be returning for a different HU (suggestions??)

Thanks to all for the replys :)

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Unless you pick up one of a VERY small number of HUs you're going to need an outboard processor to give you the control you want. Keep the Pioneer and add a processor would be my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That amp is tempting but I I dont think I would even be able to put all 10 channels to use! As for now im researching the HU dilemma.

Currently have: Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS 7" DVD/USB Bluetooth & HD Radio Car Receiver
^Dont like the lack of audio controls.

In consideration: Kenwood DDX790 6.95" LCD DVD/MP3/USB Car Receiver w/ Bluetooth
^Dont like the 3 band equalizer.

Alpine IVE-W535HD 6.1" LCD DVD/MP3/USB Car Receiver w/ Bluetooth
^Dont like the small screen and outdated look.

Alpine ICS-X7HD 7" MP3/USB Media Receiver w/ Bluetooth & HD Radio
^No CD/DVD player.

Kenwood DNN770HD 6.1" DVD/MP3/USB Car Stereo GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
^Dont like the $800 price tag.

As of now I'm leaning towards the Alpine IVE-W535 OR the Alpine ICSX7HD. Has anyone had experience with these 2? or can vouch for the others listed (or not listed). I'm open to any recommendations.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless anyone else has recomendations I think my choices are between the 2 Alpines. I dont NEED a CD player but maybe for that one time every 6 months. Thoughts? anyone have experience with these specific HUs?

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 535 and love it. I'm selling it to move to a P99 if you're interested.
really depends on condition and price. I am really hoping to buy new everything for this system. Do you know if you can play FLAC through the USB? I'm going to call Alpine about it now.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I bought the 535 today. no FLAC support but plan on converting to WMA lossless. Will be sure to keep everyone updated on the build. If pictures are wanted I would be happy to take some :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
HU: I recently purchased the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS and am a little disappointed at the lack of audio control I have (crossovers, time alignment, etc.) So For now consider this gone since I will be returning for a different HU (suggestions??)

Thanks to all for the replys :)
Before returning the X8500 I would strongly recommend running it in Auto-EQ mode. For me, it cleaned up some stay frequencies VERY well that I could not do with the basic EQ. The built-in logic is much more complex than the OTS adjustment suggests. Your mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the long delay guys. I ended up going back to Single din and settled on the Pioneer DEH-80PRS. I am completely and 100% satisfied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts