DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings DIYMA'ers!

So, this build (2008 VW GTI) I had going on for the last few years never really got finished. With a new job and the arrival of my first children (twins), the priority of that build got pushed down to the very bottom of the list.

Fast forward about 2 years and I've finally been able to find a little extra time here and there to possibly take on a new project. Also, the lease on the VW expired and so it was replaced with a 2011 Subaru WRX Base Sedan. The factory system on the Subaru is dismal, no surprise there.

I'm planning to do a simple 2-way front stage with passive comps, and either a 12" or two 8" subs in a sealed enclosure. I'm working on a design that will allow me to keep the spare tire as well as most of the storage space back there.

For right now, the choices of gear are as follows:
HU: Alpine CDA-105 w/ PXA-H100 Imprint -- Installed.
Not crazy about how it looks in my dash, also not crazy about having to spend another $200+ to regain bluetooth and steering wheel controls; So factory HU may go back in with an Audiocontrol LC2i.

AMPS: Alpine MRP-F450 (70x4), Alpine MRP-M850 (800x1) -- Already have.
The F450 is a leftover from the GTI build, and the M850 I swapped for my old M450 plus a little cash. I plan to stick with these because of limited funds.

Speakers: Deciding between Alpine SPX-17REF or PRO or Boston PRO60 SE
The common theme between all three of these sets is the capability to bi-amp; due to the modest power rating of my 4-channel amp, I'm looking to make the most of the power on hand, so all 4-channels are going to be used for front stage. Before someone recommends bridging 1+2 and 3+4, I tried this before in the GTI build and I ran into some L-R separation issues.

SUB: Very undecided about subs, but considering: Alpine Type R, JL W3, Dayton HO.

More details and pics to come... Here is the only shot I have of the WRX so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will love the WRX, I owned 2 and an STi at various points over the years(GD chassis). I have to say the latest model is the best looking design they have had since the GC.

Looking forward to seeing the install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some more pics... just to keep the thread interesting :cool:

Alpine 4-channel amp MRP-F450

Alpine mono amp MRP-M850

Also, if I do decide to return the Alpine CDA-105 and go back to the factory HU, I've already changed my mind on a LOC, instead of an AudioControl LC2i it would be an EQL... after realizing that I may want/need some EQ ability.
Coming from AudioControl, I would assume it would still serve as an awesome LOC.

I still have about 30 days to make up my mind about this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts