DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took advantage of the crazy used car market to sell my other Volvo back to Carmax for pretty much what paid for it and picked up this little piece of Swedish sweetness.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

2004 S60R. Bought it from a retired commercial pilot, so it was meticulously maintained and in great shape. Needs a few things mechanically and I have some performance mods in mind, but first things first...

If you saw my other build log, you may have noticed that my equipment spent more time on the workbench than in the car, so for this one I'm going to focus on making the install simple, straightforward and serviceable. The trunk opening on this one is tiny, and I don't want to cut anything up, so IB is out. I've been collecting gear for the last year and half, all second hand stuff from here and ebay.

Source: iPhone with a Douk U2 Converter
DSP: Arc Audio PS8 w/ PSC
Front Stage: Illusion Audio C3CX in the pillars, C8 in the doors (thanks @vactor !)
Sub: Illusion C12XL sealed in the spare tire well
Amps: Arc KS 900.6 for the front stage, Arc KS1000.1 (thanks @bnae38 !)

Real excited to get moving on this.

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did that come with dyn 8” in the doors or are you doing custom to get c8s in?
Yes sir. I'll make some adapters, but won't need to cut any metal. Between 8s in the doors, an actual spare tire well, and the battery being in the trunk, it's like the car stereo gods are saying "this is the car you've been waiting for."

Automotive lighting Tea strainer Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stripped the interior and went full-blown on the sound deadening. Partially because the car had a distinct smell... vanillaroma if I'm not mistaken. Power washed the carpets while they were out. Still need to treat all the leather, but it already smells much better.

I've never done a full sound treatment before. Have gotten limited results from CLD and CCF in the past. But the MLV makes all the difference. Rattles and clunks are gone. Well, not gone, will still have to deal with them at some point, but the car is much quieter now with just the floor done. A lot of sound still coming from the doors, which I'll get to down the road. Used Second Skin Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro. That **** ain't cheap, but it works.

Passenger side has the wire for the 3-way and RCAs if I ever need them, with driver's side getting the speaker wire and the PSC cable and a toslink cable. Trim went back on with no problems.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Mode of transport

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Electrical wiring Trunk Cable Gas

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the plan for the tire well. The enclosure comes to about 1.2 cubic feet gross, which from what I've read on here should be just about perfect once I add some stuffing. The amps are raised a bit to account for some cabling on the trunk floor. Battery box is just to the left, so power runs will gratefully be very short. The DSP and Illusion crossovers will be mounted to the back wall of the enclosure where I can easily reach them from the back seat.

I was sitting on the couch playing with the design, and my wife walks by and was like "why are you drawing pictures of your stereo?" What else would she have me do, just start cutting wood with no plan?!?!

Building Rectangle Art Font Brick

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Automotive design Diagram

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Box sides and baffle done. The sketchup was super helpful for getting measurements without, you know, math. Got everything cut straight with a straight-edge and some clamps. Used a miter saw for the angles. Started to glue and then realized that shooting brads into the 45 degree corners would be a bit difficult, so I just started firing nails into it. I'll pull some of the worst looking ones after it dries. Absent a third hand, a jig would've been real helpful for the gluing. Note for next time.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Asphalt

Wheel Hood Automotive tire Wood Tool

· Registered
2015 S60 T6
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking great! I had a 2005 in red that I loved and miss. Next one will be a V70R though. You doing anything with the stock HU at all or just leaving it there?
You know, I'm generally a big wagon fan, but in these I prefer the sedan. The body kit and giant tail lights really get me. ;)

Stock head unit is definitely going, but not sure what I am going to replace it with. Probably start with the iPhone and PSC controller because I have them and that is supposed to be the road to better sound quality, but having a hard time resisting putting in of those giant 9 inch screens and going all Elon on it. A big screen in a 2004 would just be awesome

· Registered
823 Posts
You know, I'm generally a big wagon fan, but in these I prefer the sedan. The body kit and giant tail lights really get me. ;)

Stock head unit is definitely going, but not sure what I am going to replace it with. Probably start with the iPhone and PSC controller because I have them and that is supposed to be the road to better sound quality, but having a hard time resisting putting in of those giant 9 inch screens and going all Elon on it. A big screen in a 2004 would just be awesome
I hear ya. I just put a Kenwood DMX1057 in and like it quite well. 10.1”, high voltage preouts and all the other fun goodies. Good luck with the build!

· Registered
71 Posts
I'm jealous of your trunk mounted battery, wish Volvo had done that with my V60.
This! Would be handy as hell for car audio.

Dig what you're doing with the spare area as well. I went without a spare in my last build, but I spend a lot of time around construction sites and by about the 5th flat tire in a year was kicking myself for the choice.

To do something akin to what you're doing in my C30, I just decided, f***-it and just removed the back seat. No adults over about 4'8" could sit back there comfortably anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts