DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still kinda busy with the business and won’t really be able to do the proper kick panel glass fabrication with the focus and time I want quite yet, but I want to play with them. These are labeled as subwoofers and I won’t be able to resist fabbing some simple but effective boxes.

I’m already planning on making ~7”x7”x7” boxes to test the response under dash before I get all freaky with the glass. I figured why not build a ported enclosure for them as well and report the results. I have 500w on tap and would like to compare the response of them sealed and ported vs my UM12 IB just for a reference point of some sort. Seems fair as two Epique 7’s should be able to take a good bit of that power.

These woofers seem like a major contender in the 6.5-7” subwoofer game and I hope to help people researching them as they’re so new. I feel confident that I can design a proper ported box that will be on a high enough level of performance that almost anyone can rely on the results. What I’m thinking is designing a box with an extended response as opposed to a more aggressive tuning. I’m happy for any and all requests and suggestions.

I’ll just mention that I don’t have the skillset to actually test distortion or t/s specs so I’ll decline humbly in advance on all that.

Output device Automotive lighting Gadget Microphone Audio equipment

Camera accessory Automotive tire Gas Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scratch the ported enclosure idea, huge box and long port. I can’t get wrapped up with something so involved in the little time I have available…

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I’m still kinda busy with the business and won’t really be able to do the proper kick panel glass fabrication with the focus and time I want quite yet, but I want to play with them. These are labeled as subwoofers and I won’t be able to resist fabbing some simple but effective boxes.

I’m already planning on making ~7”x7”x7” boxes to test the response under dash before I get all freaky with the glass. I figured why not build a ported enclosure for them as well and report the results. I have 500w on tap and would like to compare the response of them sealed and ported vs my UM12 IB just for a reference point of some sort. Seems fair as two Epique 7’s should be able to take a good bit of that power.

These woofers seem like a major contender in the 6.5-7” subwoofer game and I hope to help people researching them as they’re so new. I feel confident that I can design a proper ported box that will be on a high enough level of performance that almost anyone can rely on the results. What I’m thinking is designing a box with an extended response as opposed to a more aggressive tuning. I’m happy for any and all requests and suggestions.

I’ll just mention that I don’t have the skillset to actually test distortion or t/s specs so I’ll decline humbly in advance on all that.

View attachment 313731

View attachment 313730
Sneak up on the 200 watt rms rating and anything further, no clipping at all.

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sneak up on the 200 watt rms rating and anything further, no clipping at all.
Ultimately they will be sealed so I need to make sure I don’t forget this. Do they begin to loose composure before they smell, or do they not give a hint they’re in trouble?

·
Registered
3 Posts

View attachment 313731

View attachment 313730
I've been reading up on these lately. I haven't looked at the specs but do you think they would work in anIB set up? What do you think the hi end roll off is? If I remember correctly they have a low 80's sensitivity.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been reading up on these lately. I haven't looked at the specs but do you think they would work in anIB set up? What do you think the hi end roll off is? If I remember correctly they have a low 80's sensitivity.
I believe they will play cleanly up to like 2-3khz. I also believe that they will be suitable for IB, however, I wouldn’t throw them in doors because the rattling and backwave cancelations will be a problem. I have fully deadened doors with a thick fiberglass shell over three layers of noico 80mil and I still wouldn’t expect a great result.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ultimately they will be sealed so I need to make sure I don’t forget this. Do they begin to loose composure before they smell, or do they not give a hint they’re in trouble?
No hint at all, they don't bottom out or increase distortion.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's a pretty driver, but hella deep. Probably too deep for most doors. Sad, but I suspect they're not that useful for us car guys.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That's a pretty driver, but hella deep. Probably too deep for most doors. Sad, but I suspect they're not that useful for us car guys.
I know....I was super excited to see it. Made a thread about them myself.
Turns out to be a wanna be full range subwoofer midrange thing.
That only looks to work really well in a sealed box.
Thing looks cool though...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know....I was super excited to see it. Made a thread about them myself.
Turns out to be a wanna be full range subwoofer midrange thing.
That only looks to work really well in a sealed box.
Thing looks cool though...
Should have a wide bandwidth for versatility around response blips and maintain lower distortion at power. Maybe just marketing but the BL curve looks really good at 75% excursion. All at the expense of sensitivity which is easily overcome.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can’t help but think one of these or a pair of the smaller ones in glovebox install would be pretty cool.
Winsid pegs the 5” at full on ported recommendation. Still a good response but more complexity than worth when the 7” rocks out in sealed. At least for what I’m trying to do.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Should have a wide bandwidth for versatility around response blips and maintain lower distortion at power. Maybe just marketing but the BL curve looks really good at 75% excursion. All at the expense of sensitivity which is easily overcome.
I don't feel like the sensitivity is exactly accurate for subwoofers in general, these speakers seem to be more sensitive than the Anarchy 704's.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't feel like the sensitivity is exactly accurate for subwoofers in general, these speakers seem to be more sensitive than the Anarchy 704's.
the anarchy are single 4 ohm and have a published 1W/1M sensitivity of 86.5 dB.

PE doesn’t explicitly say, but it looks like (since they give RE as 6.8 ohms and the sensitivity measurement in terms of 2.83v/1m) that their published sensitivity (83.7 dB) is with the coils in series, at 6.8 ohms.

Wired in parallel at ~1.7 ohms would greatly increase the power, making them “seem” like they are more sensitive. Probably not quite 6 dB but it’ll be a bunch, likely more than the 2.8 dB needed to seem more sensitive than the anarchy woofers.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
the anarchy are single 4 ohm and have a published 1W/1M sensitivity of 86.5 dB.

PE doesn’t explicitly say, but it looks like (since they give RE as 6.8 ohms and the sensitivity measurement in terms of 2.83v/1m) that their published sensitivity (83.7 dB) is with the coils in series, at 6.8 ohms.

Wired in parallel at ~1.7 ohms would greatly increase the power, making them “seem” like they are more sensitive. Probably not quite 6 dB but it’ll be a bunch, likely more than the 2.8 dB needed to seem more sensitive than the anarchy woofers.
They get louder than the Anarchy's on the same amp channel with the coils wired in series, Anarchy at 4 ohms 300 watts < Epique at 8 ohms 150 watts. It could be that the Anarchy's were maxed-out excursion-wise while the Epique's were not, but that is my observation. No change in amp gain either.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don’t know if I’m reading the charts correctly, but it looks like the anarchy had a significant loss in sensitivity below 1000 hz. Could be what you are observing, maybe?

Rectangle Azure Slope Font Line

1 - 20 of 61 Posts