DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my older focals k2's in my doors of my 07 accord. My doors are deadened and sealed. I will be running them off of a JL audio 75w chan amp. I am using a kenwood kiv-bt901 as my source unit. Right now i am considering polk mm-6501,focal 165krx2 and hybrid audio clarus c61-2. Last upgrage i ran 2 12 guage speaker wires into each door incase i ever decided to move the tweeters to the doors, right now they are in the stock locations in the dash. Any suggestions for best sound in an accord, is there any good components I am missing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a problem with 1 of the focal 6.5's. It's weird, only when its cold it is distorted until it warms up then its fine. I have 2 chan of the JL 300/4 running the focals and the other 2 chan bridged to a Polk MM1240 12inch sub in the trunk.

·
Registered
126 Posts
my focal's also sounded weird if parked outside in the winter. I knew it was just stiff...sounds like there's nothing wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Toronto, holy cow! I bet it does get cold. I live in Pa and i only started noticing it since it has been colder. I got these used so I haven't had them in colder weather before. Is this a common thing for the focals? And why only 1 of them. I switched the rca's at the amp to make sure and the same speaker did it so it is not the amp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics of current setup. I have the factory AM/FM/CD into the rear aux in of the kenwood so i didn't lose my CD or XM. The cable for the iPod is run to the center console to keep th iPod hidden.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - The Focal is getting worse, sounds blown in cold weather until it warms up. This morning it was 17 when I left for work and just started sounding right as i was pulling into the parking lot at work, a short drive for me but for it to sound bad the whole way to work is unacceptable. Here is my question, Polk MM's, HAT Clarus, or Vi-Fi, Dynaudio, Massive or go seperates like the Peerless or Scanspeak and go active. Right now am running my JL 300/4 3-Chan, fronts to my Focals and rear bridged to a Polk MM1240 in a sealed 1cuft box in the trunk. I ditched the fiberglass corner box (to small) I have a Pioneer GM-9500 I can Run to the sub, I have room to ad another 12" and run the JL active to the fronts. This is in a 2007 Accord sedan. Any good suggestion? I like it loud but clear, I listen to everything from country to jazz with classic rock and top 40 mixed in when the mood suits me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
it only took 10 minutes to get back to normal. When it's cold out, i play at a lower volume when it sounds "weird"

saying that, I'm on a new set of speakers now (Audison Voce). I haven't experienced a cold morning yet so I cannot comment on how they hold up in cold. I do park indoors now at night though.

About to install HAT L3's and Boston Pro's in my other car that is parked outside. The install and "winter" feedback on these speakers are still another 2 weeks out.

if the focals were bought from a local dealer, give them a call to take a look at them. Good companies even out of warrantee sometimes back their products up.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
The new focal polyglass 30th year edition is awesome for the money, but the krx2 is nice as well as I owned a set.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'm ready to something in the next week or two, Prepackaged 2-ways w/passive x-over (leaning to the HAT Clarus) or something like the Dayton RS-180 or Vifa NE180w-04. If I go active I need a mid-woofer capable to the 2k range and a good tweeter to match. Budget is $500.00 tops for the front as now I'm also looking to upgrade my sub. I think 2-10" might give a little more kick than my single 12" I have now. The new box I built has 2 1cuft sealed chambers so any suggestions for a good sq 10" (Dayton HO, Peerless XXLS, Seas L26ROY, Scanspeak Discovery, HAT Imagine) or any others I am missing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I replaced my JL amp with a Zuki Eleets 5 Hybrid and the problem with my door speaker went away. I guess it was 1 chan of the JL that acts up when it is cold. Is there anybody that you could recomend to fix an amp?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts