DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,i just bought a 2001 Lexus GS400,& have a Kicker L7 12" sub that i DIY into the factory 10" sub hole on the package tray.Im not much of a radio guy so i took the car to have the amp professionaly installed today.Well when i picked up the car today something is wrong with it,i can turn it all the way up and its not loud at all.Example of what i mean is,last nite when i installed the sub(no amp) i pluged the factory speaker wires to the L7,& it sounded 10x better that it does now with the amp installed.Not even the door speakers are loud anymore.Anyone have any ideas what this guy did wrong.O yeah my amp is an Audiobahn A8000T.TIA.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not a clue... to much could be wrong to guess...

My advice would be to take it to someone else to get a 2nd look at it...

·
Registered
250 Posts
What amp do you have?

Btw, why did you use the stock 10" hole? IIRC, the stock setup is for infinite baffle. The L7 calls for a sealed or a vented box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95Legend said:
What amp do you have?

Btw, why did you use the stock 10" hole? IIRC, the stock setup is for infinite baffle. The L7 calls for a sealed or a vented box.
For trunk space.I figured it out today,problem with converter.I will be makink a box to go around the sub.It still sounds 500x better than stock.Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basehead said:
For trunk space.I figured it out today,problem with converter.I will be makink a box to go around the sub.It still sounds 500x better than stock.Thanks for the help guys.
O yeah i have an Audiobahn A8000T

·
Registered
381 Posts
So, the sub sounds ok wired to the factory wires and the factory speakers still sound ok too? But, when the amp is wired in, the sub sounds like crap and so does the factory speakers? Is the sub single or dual voice coil? Two, four or eight ohms? Where is the amp wired to for it's primary power? The car battery or somewhere under the dash? I'd ask the shop/guy how he connected the amp to the cars existing signal path? An adapter of some sort, high level inputs if your amp has them, or what?

It seems that when the amp is hooked up it's taking power away from the HU. Why? Maybe it's pulling too much voltage away from the deck, maybe they bypassed the factory amp for some reason and have the sub wired wrong, who knows. Far too many variables to make an accurate guess.

If, by taking the sub out of the system the front speakers sound better, maybe the sub is just out of phase and killing your midbass. If taking the sub out of the system just makes the whole sound of the other speakers better, I'd have to wonder where your amp is drawing it's power from. They may have done something stupid like tap power from the fuse box or something stupid like that. If the sub sounds really bad when wired up but ok when wired to the factory power, it could be many things, too much power for a sub not in the proper box, wired wrong, voice coils out of phase from each other, who knows.

Hopefully some of the things I've mentioned might help you trouble shoot your issues. If you come up with any more info that might help shed light on things, let us know. The more details the better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Airforceyooper said:
So, the sub sounds ok wired to the factory wires and the factory speakers still sound ok too? But, when the amp is wired in, the sub sounds like crap and so does the factory speakers? Is the sub single or dual voice coil? Two, four or eight ohms? Where is the amp wired to for it's primary power? The car battery or somewhere under the dash? I'd ask the shop/guy how he connected the amp to the cars existing signal path? An adapter of some sort, high level inputs if your amp has them, or what?

It seems that when the amp is hooked up it's taking power away from the HU. Why? Maybe it's pulling too much voltage away from the deck, maybe they bypassed the factory amp for some reason and have the sub wired wrong, who knows. Far too many variables to make an accurate guess.

If, by taking the sub out of the system the front speakers sound better, maybe the sub is just out of phase and killing your midbass. If taking the sub out of the system just makes the whole sound of the other speakers better, I'd have to wonder where your amp is drawing it's power from. They may have done something stupid like tap power from the fuse box or something stupid like that. If the sub sounds really bad when wired up but ok when wired to the factory power, it could be many things, too much power for a sub not in the proper box, wired wrong, voice coils out of phase from each other, who knows.

Hopefully some of the things I've mentioned might help you trouble shoot your issues. If you come up with any more info that might help shed light on things, let us know. The more details the better.
I fixed it they had the line out converter wired into the factory amp,which in turn the whole system ran on half power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts