DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I am new here, and new to car stereo installation. My truck is aging, and I hope to someday restore old VWs as a hobby, so I figured I'd make my first set of rookie mistakes on my '98 Toyota. If that makes sense.

I have removed the deck, the bench seat in my pick up truck and all the carpet, even the dashboard for an unrelated matter. I have tons of room to figure this out.

Anyways, I have an Alpine 7894 Deck. I am trying t hook up to an old amp, a Carver M4060. The amp says 60x4 watts. But other than that only has input/output and power plugs. The deck itself I think has 60 watts of power, and was installed by a pro. There are 3 sets of double RCA plugs. The harness is labelled with "remote" and other stuff. I believe all I have to do is plug into the RCA to power the amp?

Then I will need a "remote" wire and a ground, yes? (the shorter the ground, the better).

Is it best to buy a wire package like I see at Autozone/PepBoys?
If I want to add a subwoofer, can I do that later without having to pull up the carpet again? That just gets wired to the amp and mounted to the floor or wherever right?

I am only trying to upgrade the system because I have this amp just lying around. This is a standard size (very small space) pick-up truck, so I don't need a ton of power to get great sound right? It seems to me that spending the extra $ on heavy gauge wire might be a waste in this situation. I'm just not sure.

Anything that I should be looking for as a rookie?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :square:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Do you have a budget in mind for this install?

Are you just installing the amp to power OEM speakers, or will those also be upgraded?

If the interior is already out and you are willing to invest the time & money, start with sound dampening application (Second Skin, Dynamat, Rammat, etc...) and build from there.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Hi everybody,I believe all I have to do is plug into the RCA to power the amp?

Then I will need a "remote" wire and a ground, yes? (the shorter the ground, the better).

Is it best to buy a wire package like I see at Autozone/PepBoys?
If I want to add a subwoofer, can I do that later without having to pull up the carpet again? That just gets wired to the amp and mounted to the floor or wherever right?
1] you will need to run a power wire from the battery to any amplifier you want to use ;)
2] you will need to run a ground wire to the body of the vehicle from the amp.
3] you will need to send signals to the amp via RCA's
4] you will need to run a remote wire from the HU to the amp to turn them on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, I could probably spend $300-500 or so. It would be really easy to apply some kind of sound dampener, I don't know what that costs.

The speakers were upgraded at the time the deck was installed, although I couldn't get the Boston speakers I wanted because they wouldn't fit in the shallow door wells. So, I got these J&L speakers. They're ok, but a little twangy with pretty much no bass whatsoever. They're pretty good with the highs, so I think a little extra oomph down low will go a long way.

So, I don't think I need to upgrade the speakers. Maybe upgrade the wire and make sure everything re-tightened. A sub woofer might be all I need to make a pretty good system?

·
Registered
337 Posts
sounds like you got a good start.

are the jl's in your doors? if so make sure you use some sound deadening to cover the holes in your door. whats likely happening is the sound wave from the back of the cone is interfering with the wave from the front of the cone. so anything you can do to keep those 2 from meeting will improve your midbass quite a bit

also, your deck is NOT making 60 watts of power per channel. those are marketing numbers or what we like to call the SBL (struck by lightning) rating. almost any amp (let alone the carver, which kicked ass in the day) will produce much more and cleaner power.

send the front channels of your carver to jl's and bridge the rears to whatever sub you think you can fit in your truck.

there are a pretty wide selection of shallow mount 10's and 12s that will probably work out nicely for you

·
Registered
337 Posts
^ i totally meant to type truck instead of trunk. thanks. fixed it now, and i'm going to find some more coffee

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks!

I'm going to research the sound dampening sites and read that beginner's guide. I will repost with further questions I'm sure.

appreciate it....

p.s. there's plenty of room behind the bench seat for a sub box. Might even be room for a 12', although that's probably more than I'll need. I'll research that later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts