DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals...

New guy here.

I've been in the car audio world for 25 years, but my buddy Mike just told me about this forum.

I am looking forward to participating, and giving my two cents as one of the "elders" of 12 volt.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: New guy saying hi

One more post, and you can see my pics.

Wait for it...

:cool:

I understand...gotta keep the spammers and drive-by advertisers in check...its all good...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Oh...snap...

You see, the pics cannot be in your 5th post...

You have to wait for number six! That's cool...I have another 90 seconds I can burn.

Somebody say hi to me, LOL.

Hey...are folks still using capacitors in their systems? Some young guy told me they are not popular anymore? What's up with that? The old rule was 1 Farad per 1,000 watts.

Well, I have a whopping seven posts now...and it still won't let me add pictures. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'll say "hi". Let's see those pics.
Trying again...

Shots of days gone by...

1988: Kickin' it old-school in my 85 Dodge Omni GH turbo...my earliest fiberglass sub box:

My 1990 Honda Accord (just gutted it this week...finally selling it after 21 years and 230,000 miles!) This little thumper had a trunk full of AudioControl stuff and Soundstream amps...all drivers were Boston Pro Series. Remember the ESP3, the Epicenter, the 4XS, and EQT's? This car had them all. Plus a Phoenix Gold TBA1 line driver. Clarion head unit. when dialed, this car had one of the best sounding systems I've heard:

Here's one I put in my buddy Brett's Chevy Silverado, circa 2002 or 2003. Quart drivers, Kicker Solobarik subs, Eclipse amplification:

Whipped this up for my brother-in-law's Porsche 944 about 5 years ago:

Here's some kick-panels that were in progress for another buddy's Saturn...circa 1998:

Here's Deviate2112 with a setup we put in his Saturn...maybe 5 years ago?

I'm ordering parts for a system in my new-to-me 2007 Accord. Will make an install thread soon!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Welcome DiMora... I can't stop looking at the HUGE CRANIUM on that last pic...you could show a movie on that forehead...That was an awesome system...yup 2 EQT...cause I could..LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I Can see them, your golden.
Welcome to the site friend.:)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts

Welcome and I look forward to drawing off of your knowledge. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

I am so stoked to be putting a new system in my new-to-me 2007 Accord.

I have a Mustang too, but that vehicle, despite having a decent system, is all about performance, and my exhaust is so loud I could never enjoy audiophile quality with it.

The thing that blows me away the most is how much bang for the buck you can get now.

What used to take a trunk full of AudioControl equipment is now built into the head unit in something like an Eclipse, or into a small additional box, like the Alpine Imprint module.

In my last car with a serious system that I pictured above...(that 1990 Accord full of junk-in-the-trunk), every one of those pieces was needed to overcome a problem and give me the sound I wanted.

Now...it is so easy...crossovers built in to everything...parametric EQ at your fingertips...time alignment...it is amazing.

In my old 1990 Accord I literally cut a hole in the dash for a center channel and added an AudioControl ESP-3.

The Eclipse, in my Mustang, with time alignment and "circle surround" images every bit as well as the ESP-3 did...

Anyway, I'll post up a build thread when I get started next week. I'll be looking for some feedback from you guys on different ideas I have.

I'm anxious to learn the "modern" way of thinking on some of these build topics.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Nice work! You definitely have skills!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey man, just sent you a PM

WELCOME!

oo, are those old mb quart Q crossovers in your last pic
Not real old...maybe 5 years? Model PXE216. Great crossover.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and god damn i hate all the audio control MESS. nothing worse looking in a vehicle
That was the cat's Jammie's back in the day.

If you wanted to win competitions, that is how you rolled. It wasn't about looks - it was about performance.

Not much gear could handle 9 volt input, and the ESP3 and Epicenter had no substitutes.

For EQ, it was AudioControl or Rane.

Few crossovers offered as much control as the 4XS.

Back then, amps and head units didn't have crossovers.

Guys without AudioControl rarely had systems that sounded good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts