DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to introduce myself, I have been browsing for a couple of weeks and decided that it was time to join in on the fun. Having read some of the post, I believe there are some very knowledgeable people on this site.
I have been out of the scene for about 8 years now. I previously owned my own shop for about 5 years. While in business, we received a sponsorship from our top selling line Memphis Car Audio, so I had built my 01 Ram as a company demo vehicle. This setup was primary for SPL reasons, since that was all the rave then. It consisted of 8 -1000d amps, 2 -3004 amps, 4- Mojo 12's and 3 -Studio 6.5" component sets. All Alpine signal equipment was used along with Stinger wiring and a Race Proven alternator. I will try to post pictures of this after I dig them out. Digital cameras were not as cheap as they are now back in 01. The truck did a 157.9 as a high, though it was poor in the SQ range as you can imagine. The truck only did a few local shows and was primarily for showing customers the product lines that we sold.
In 2003 things started to dry up in our area. Business was very very slow. Other dealers were dropping their pants on the prices. We tried that route for a bit but to no avail. Finally, when a basic remote start went from $120 (our cost ) to $75 (the competition), my partner and I decided it was time to close the doors. Paying $40 for the remote start and another $35 in labor cost we were losing money every day we kept the doors open.
Thankfully, this was not my primary line of work. I am a instrumentation and controls electrician (IBEW LU 351) by day. I am also a MECP advanced certified technician class of 1999:eek:
Enough with the past. It was a blast while it lasted for the 5 years. A lot less stressful enjoying this as a hobby. Trust me. I'm sure others can agree.
The 01 Ram was recently traded in for a 2011 Ford F150 Super Crew to haul the family and I around in. I'm in the planning stages of a decent SQ system. I no longer can afford the $15,000 + equipment for the vehicle. I have been reading and reading for a few months and I like what I hear about Audison and Hertz. Seems they have a very good track record of producing some of the better sounding equipment on the market today. Any thoughts would definitely be of help. The plan is to keep the factory HU with the built in sync. Love the way it works, so a Bit one or 10 will be a must. From there I will need to audition the Hertz line of speakers, hopefully on a Audison amp. I will also need a little guidance with placement in the new truck. I no longer have my Audio Control RTA to track alignment or timing. That went by by with the business. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Welcome! Been right where you were...we had a shop too, closed in 2008. We tried to go to just selling mostly accessories instead of stereo, but even that dried up. I agree though that it is much less stressful now! Trust me, you are correct, there are many knowledgeable people on here. I worked in the industry for around 15 years and still learn every day on this forum...again, welcome!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Welcome, what part of New Jersey do you reside in, maybe we can bounce ideas off each other. I'm doing my 2011 Dodge Ram and also am keeping the factory head unit. Although I didn't go with Dodge's top of the line head unit. I was hearing from too many people that it was not worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tis a sad state of affairs but today does seem to have a plethora of quality audio with technology not available 8 years ago. While I didn't work in the biz, I was an enthusiast until I traded in my last car with a nice, all a/d/s/ system in '04.

I feel so out of sorts now and am trying to get back in the swing of things...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! Been right where you were...we had a shop too, closed in 2008. We tried to go to just selling mostly accessories instead of stereo, but even that dried up. I agree though that it is much less stressful now! Trust me, you are correct, there are many knowledgeable people on here. I worked in the industry for around 15 years and still learn every day on this forum...again, welcome!
Thanks Hope everything is better in the business for you.. Its tough out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, what part of New Jersey do you reside in, maybe we can bounce ideas off each other. I'm doing my 2011 Dodge Ram and also am keeping the factory head unit. Although I didn't go with Dodge's top of the line head unit. I was hearing from too many people that it was not worth the upgrade.
I live in South Jersey. Pittsgrove to be exact. How you like the Dodge ?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I love it to say the least. I looked for a Raptor at first but drove by the Dodge place saw this, stopped and picked it up. I usually drive my 2010 Subaru Legacy, but I want to start doing things to the truck. Being in Millville, there aren't a lot of good places to buy quality equipment, so I shop online and trade where I can. Maybe we can meet up at the Deptford mall one day and exchange thoughts. Either way enjoy your truck and keep me informed of your progress. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love it to say the least. I looked for a Raptor at first but drove by the Dodge place saw this, stopped and picked it up. I usually drive my 2010 Subaru Legacy, but I want to start doing things to the truck. Being in Millville, there aren't a lot of good places to buy quality equipment, so I shop online and trade where I can. Maybe we can meet up at the Deptford mall one day and exchange thoughts. Either way enjoy your truck and keep me informed of your progress. :)
You live in Millville. Where about in Millville ? I used to reside there myself about 7 years ago. There is nothing around this area for good equipment thats for sure. Thank goodness for the internet.:D

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I used to reside in Sicklerville but my wife wanted to live in a more diverse neighborhood. She felt it would be better for raising our children. I'm in the woods in a new development. I know there are shops around here, but the choice of equipment is lacking. I like what I like and don't feel like I have to settle. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to reside in Sicklerville but my wife wanted to live in a more diverse neighborhood. She felt it would be better for raising our children. I'm in the woods in a new development. I know there are shops around here, but the choice of equipment is lacking. I like what I like and don't feel like I have to settle. :)
My shop was on route 47 (2nd street) and orange street. I grew up in Millville. Nice place in most sections. I like the country living better though.

What are the plans for the Dodge ? Going to keep it simple or go full bore ?

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I'm sticking with the factory radio, but adding an MS8 to the mix. After that if I am not happy I will change out parts as I deem needed. I have an MS8 in my Legacy and I love it. For my VW I'm going with just three speakers and two amps. My weapon of choice for my VW is a JL Audio 13W7 subwoofer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should be ready to start on mine by the end of the year. Still choosing speakers and amps.. Im going with the audison bit one for the processing from the factory HU.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I'm shooting for the middle of December as far as my Dodge. My Legacy is done audio wise, and my VW I'm shooting for end of January.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
OK newest plan of attack, my Legacy albeit be it done needs to be redone. The things that are annoying me are in order.
1st- poor radio reception.
2nd- does not control iPod.
3rd- no satellite connection.

These are things that can be readily corrected by putting in my Pioneer DEX 99RS. The only thing is if I do that, my MS8 will need a new home. Question is do I sell my MS8, or do I just add it to my Dodge OEM equipment and be done with both cars by November?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts