DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I switched out my Pioneer DEH-P80MP for a Kenwood KIV-BT901. As soon as I powered it up, I noticed it was very quiet compared to the Pioneer. I had to max out the gains on my DLS A4 to get acceptable sound and even then it wasn't as loud as it should have been. I was getting some ground noise, so thinking it was a loose connection I finally got around to checking things out tonight and I'm in the same position. Any ideas what could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
A few months ago I switched out my Pioneer DEH-P80MP for a Kenwood KIV-BT901. As soon as I powered it up, I noticed it was very quiet compared to the Pioneer. I had to max out the gains on my DLS A4 to get acceptable sound and even then it wasn't as loud as it should have been. I was getting some ground noise, so thinking it was a loose connection I finally got around to checking things out tonight and I'm in the same position. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Whats the rca voltage on pioneer and whats the voltage on the kenwood ????

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the rca voltage on pioneer and whats the voltage on the kenwood ????

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
6.5V vs 4V. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Could be the voltage, but also look at what range of the volume you are using does the K-wood go up to a much higher number? Check the levels in the HU if it has, make sure they are not turned way down/etc., make sure there is not a fader or something in there turned down. Look for an input setting on the amp some have one for high or low input voltage but many don't. Some newer amps don't gain down that far, I had a dual I could not clip on subs with a 2v HU.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
low preout voltage, you could get a line driver and see if that helps
or just adjust the gains to match the new HU (which is what you should do anyway)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I would not think that voltage change would make that large a difference, but different HU do use different output curves (linear taper). So one can be quieter until near max volume while another might be louder and the last 1/4 of volume does little.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the voltage, but also look at what range of the volume you are using does the K-wood go up to a much higher number? Check the levels in the HU if it has, make sure they are not turned way down/etc., make sure there is not a fader or something in there turned down. Look for an input setting on the amp some have one for high or low input voltage but many don't. Some newer amps don't gain down that far, I had a dual I could not clip on subs with a 2v HU.
The Kenwood goes up to 36 and starts distorting around 30. I find myself listening between 20-30 and closer to 30 with the windows down. There doesn't appear to be any level adjustments that will help with this.

or just adjust the gains to match the new HU (which is what you should do anyway)
I can't...If I do, the volume is too quiet. I've got them maxed out in the sense that things are the loudest.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been thinking about a BitOne, would that help in this case?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts