DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
Well for very good reasons.

1- price point. Your kenwood cost you near 750usd from what i can see from crutch field site.

2- the kenwood “claims” to have a digital to analog DaC. What is the benifits of this if you cant utilize digital output.

3- userbility. Say i hated the music player in the kendwood. It wasnt to my liking. I would then be stuck with it. The android head units are android powered, meaning i can load any music player application for the google play store and find one to my liking.

4- car laucher, same senario, if i didnt like the launcher on the kendwood, stuck with it. Android i can simply make it look how i want it to look...

5- screen size. All new vehicles come with 9”+ screens. Why would i want to by a unit at double the price with a standard 7” screen with poor resolution.

6- app downloads. Cant do that with kendwood or any name brand.

7- digital coax output. To some this may not matter but to me it does. Remember Steve meade didnt install a sony optical headunit in his yukon for no reason. He himself(huge car audio enthusiasts) knows digital has a benefit over coax.

8- updates. Android unit is easily updatable to a newer firmware. Because of this, it keeps the unit in “tune” to todays applications.

9- speed. I had a name brand unit before with a 120gb usb with loads of music on it. It was so laggy to scroll through my folders.

The android unit has a real name brand intel processor and 4gb of ram. Thats enough power to support windows 10. It has ton of power to multi task and do what ever you want.

10- oh did i mention price? Half the price to get alot more for your money. Thats where im sold. The digital output is a gift.
You've made some points. Valid or not. Now, I suggest you actually spend some time researching the DNX995S/DDX9905S and DNX996S/DDX9906S to see which of your statements do and do not apply.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is anyone still developing Android for Intel CPUs? I thought they gave up on that a while ago. There are no Intel based phones anymore, and all the tablets I see on their website run ancient versions of Android.

Oh, I see. These are licensed Intel cores, built into an SOC by Spreadtrum. The phone/tablets I see based on it are all Android 7.0, so maybe there is someone still maintaining & updating Android for Intel Architecture. Wild.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ya but you have to wonder for how long. The chip in this HU is about 1/3 as powerful (by at least one metric I've seen) than the top of the line Huawei.

It will likely go the way of the dodo, with ARM seemingly taking over.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I watched the full video, and you did a great job of showcasing the features and the interface.

I did have my eyes on a E3io Car PC since I wanted to add a large ~12inch capacitive touch screen remotely mounted, and work with E3io to see if they can install a board with a digital audio out. Or, possibly make my own CarPC with a mini-ITX case and digital audio out, but realistically, I think the 10.1 inch screen will be fine, and the interface will probably be faster and less glitchy than the Windows based E3io. I know you can install Android auto on a Windows based platform, but it probably won't be as seamless as this.

Granted, a CarPC gives you more functions, but I'm not certain that I'll use half of them on a daily basis. Not to mention, the price difference is huge.
----Slight OT------

Funny you should mention this as I'm actually in the process of installing the exact same setup now. Found one of the full, 8" deep E3IO CarPCs on Ebay last month...negating the cost differential for me. Its running Windows 10 (though yu could install whatever) and has 5 USB 2.0 and 2 3.0s inputs plus every other connection you'd expect like SATA, HDMI, SPDIF, 5.1 outs, etc. Startup time to to desktop/playing music is extremely fast, faster than my old Android HU, at around ~>5 seconds.

Installed Equilizer APO with the "Peace" GUI to test out using it as a dsp (crazy amount of options). Currently using the SPDIF > 360.3 for as backup.

I too plan to mount it in the cargo area and run a LCD with capacitive overlay in the dash. Debating on going big with a 15.6" LCD for "Tesla style" vertical setup or standard-ish install with 10-13" horizontal.

----\rant-------

Back OT, I ran one of these (now older) Joying Android HU for nearly 2 years with almost zero issues (random audio cutout and some restarts). I was amazed at how seamless the install was in my 4runner too...perfectly fit the larger, 200x100mm double din opening and a plug n play harness with working SWCs. Overall, I would do it again for the customization alone (I like to tinker). I'd guess these newer builds are much better too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
From what i can see, my joying unit does not go in deep sleep. So its on as soon as i turn the key. I think they wrote the code to make the unit stop all process’s . Also for a pc build. The amount of money you need to spend to get everything to work like the joying unit does, your pockets are empty....

There for its still the best solution price point wise. I was gonna do a pc in car but i couldnt find enough info to make it user friendly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what i can see, my joying unit does not go in deep sleep. So its on as soon as i turn the key. I think they wrote the code to make the unit stop all process’s . Also for a pc build. The amount of money you need to spend to get everything to work like the joying unit does, your pockets are empty....

There for its still the best solution price point wise. I was gonna do a pc in car but i couldnt find enough info to make it user friendly.
The instantaneous boot is a draw for sure on these newer units. The older Androids didn't have those features or even the processing power of these builds. For the price, I'd agree 100% that these are a great option for anyone in the market. You can't touch them with anything out there from the big brands. With Poweramp and my 1tb HD full of music, I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

As for my CarPC, and equivalent DIY builds, they are typically expensive. However, I'm super cheap myself and got lucky with mine so I'll basically only be out the price of extra wiring runs and whatever LCD+Touch Screen I go with, cheaper than buying another HU to replace the Joying.
Also, there are several front ends you can boot into on startup as well for a less pc, more "car-friendly" interface. Kodi has some good skins too.

But yes, in general, these Joyings are fairly priced and will do everything one needs. Then again, DIYMA isn't exactly a need-based forum. Lol

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
I priced out and bought some parts to make a Raspberry Pi run my stuff and it was only about $200. That's with touch screen, digital out, USB, fm radio, navi, and steering wheel control.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I priced out and bought some parts to make a Raspberry Pi run my stuff and it was only about $200. That's with touch screen, digital out, USB, fm radio, navi, and steering wheel control.
Nice! Thats not bad at all. There are a ton of useful apps for those setups. I was beginning to dig deeper into the Rasberry Pi/Arduino scene but ran across this setup and stopped (for now). Won't be as much fun building but ended up being cheaper and quicker.

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
I started it but then my son began working on it at school. Him and his teacher are doing it as a side project. He goes to a high school that builds drone's, robots, write code, etc. So when he mentioned I asked him to get the touch screen running his teacher said asked what my intention was. He also shared his interest in Raspberry and offered to help my son in their free time. A double win for me. I also just found out Motorola has a raspberry pi compatable board for their build your own moto mods. So that's something I'm going to try this summer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
dont know much about raspberry pi, but ive spent enough cash on car audio that now im just wanting a good sounding reliable set up. I have the unit installed in my truck, blown away by the difference the coax makes. it makes the vocals shine in clearity, the mid bass is super smooth and responsive. Dont regret this setup at all. Heres a video on how i set up tidal HIFI.
https://youtu.be/YHJkXVacbNI

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
From what I know already Raspberry Pi seems limitless. You can daisy chain them and add-on whatever. Just like the raspberry based digital switcher I just purchased (in another thread). I'll be diving deep this summer.

In the meantime these HU seem great and I might try one in my next truck.

·
Listener of Music
3,015 Posts
Whoever said it earlier- you can use apps on Kenwood's and Pioneer. Just very limited. I hated last year's Kenwood I traded in for Pioneer I have in my truck. I love it. It can control the music apps on my phone without Android auto. That's a super sweet feature.

The Pioneer has every feature I need and uses Navteq navi gui which happens to be my favorite.
But really, if these are reliable why would I pay twice as much for something that has a little less capability? I wouldn't. So yes when it's time to equip my next truck I will be looking at these.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Can someone help the old folks out around here? I just got a fiio x7 mark ii yesterday and it's already taken a shit on me. If I were to buy one of these, where could I store my FLAC files at (it was a struggle figuring that out at home but I'm all good there) and how do I play it through one of these new fangled head units....I've been waiting years to say that!!! I'm gonna need a vast description...possibly a video with semi-naked ladies. Seriously though, I reached the point I could program the clock on a VCR. Most of you don't know but that was the summit of the mountain. I'm game to buy one right now if someone's willing to help me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can someone help the old folks out around here? I just got a fiio x7 mark ii yesterday and it's already taken a shit on me. If I were to buy one of these, where could I store my FLAC files at (it was a struggle figuring that out at home but I'm all good there) and how do I play it through one of these new fangled head units....I've been waiting years to say that!!! I'm gonna need a vast description...possibly a video with semi-naked ladies. Seriously though, I reached the point I could program the clock on a VCR. Most of you don't know but that was the summit of the mountain. I'm game to buy one right now if someone's willing to help me.
Pardon my brevity and lack of scantily clad women but all you'd have to do is:

1) transfer your music files over to an external usb hard drive

2) plug said hard drive into the usb extensions included on the back of the head unit (it will run off usb power)

3) start any music library app you choose (after downloading the app from the Google Play store, Poweramp is great)

....that should be it. Lol. I would be buying one of these myself if not for my other setup. As I said, I had great experience with Joying. Also, most of these android HU have large following over on the XDA-Developer forums...tons of info. Also lots of custom ROMs too if you're so inclined.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Pardon my brevity and lack of scantily clad women but all you'd have to do is:

1) transfer your music files over to an external usb hard drive

2) plug said hard drive into the usb extensions included on the back of the head unit (it will run off usb power)

3) start any music library app you choose (after downloading the app from the Google Play store, Poweramp is great)

....that should be it. Lol. I would be buying one of these myself if not for my other setup. As I said, I had great experience with Joying. Also, most of these android HU have large following over on the XDA-Developer forums...tons of info. Also lots of custom ROMs too if you're so inclined.
I beg your forgiveness honestly. When I plug in said USB with FLAC on it....what does that look like? Is it easy to search like an iPod or do I have to scroll a thousand files to find a song? Is it searchable? I guess my question is about the ease of use. Sorry for being so behind the times.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I beg your forgiveness honestly. When I plug in said USB with FLAC on it....what does that look like? Is it easy to search like an iPod or do I have to scroll a thousand files to find a song? Is it searchable? I guess my question is about the ease of use. Sorry for being so behind the times.
The ease of use depends very much on what music playing app you use. Use PowerAmp, it costs a few bucks, but it's the best on Android. It comes with instructions.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
The ease of use depends very much on what music playing app you use. Use PowerAmp, it costs a few bucks, but it's the best on Android. It comes with instructions.
I'm ok on the $$$ side of things (well, the kid goes to college next year, ugh) so I don't mind paying if it's easy to use. You have a screenshot or link? I sincerely appreciate the help. Working and raising a kid pulls you away from this stuff and it passes fast. You fuckers will see soon enough lmao!!! I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'm ok on the $$$ side of things (well, the kid goes to college next year, ugh) so I don't mind paying if it's easy to use. You have a screenshot or link? I sincerely appreciate the help. Working and raising a kid pulls you away from this stuff and it passes fast. You fuckers will see soon enough lmao!!! I can't thank you enough.
Here's a screenshot showing usb storage in the Samsung "My Files" app on my phone followed by 2 from PowerAmp. It's really simple, easier than setting a VCR clock.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts