DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helix has updated their DSP software, and released it today...

Can be downloaded here: DSP PC-Tool Version 4

Version 4.70
  • New start launcher has been added - the start window now offers a device info area as well as a new menu bar which gives access to several frequently used functions. The new buttons are offering the following functions (from top to bottom): Refresh connection, Options menu (manual ACO Update, manual driver installation, etc.), Connection switch (WIFI/USB), Change-Log history, keyboard shortcuts map, sound files for the integrated measurement systems, website link
  • Main - Advanced Import function has been implemented to import AFPX and REW files. The Advanced Import manager offers various adjustments as well as visualizes the importing data. By selecting the file type you can choose to import REW (.txt) or DSP PC-Tool tuning files (.afpx)
  • Main - The Output level graph has been reworked and now shows the outgoing level as RMS and Peak Hold value. The light blue bar will show the RMS value whereas the dark blue bar will show the Peak Hold value. The new Peak Hold value will show the highest output level within a 2 second time window. This will make it much easier to adjust the gain structure properly as it allows to get easier to the maximum unclipped output level. In addition the digit value beside the bar can be toggled between RMS and Peak Hold value by clicking on the small symbols on the right in the digit display.
  • Main - The ACO configuration will now also be stored directly when teh SAVE button has been used. After daving the unit can be directly disconnected from power and an additional power cycleis not needed anymore.
  • ISA - The Input Signal Analyzer got a new measurement option to measure low frequency high pass filters from factory sound systems between 25 Hz and 200 Hz. The new measurement range can be selected via the drop down menu in the ISA window and is called "Low - 25 Hz to 200 Hz".
  • ATM - The official public beta version of "Automatic Time Measurement" has been added. This is a completely new algorythm and function which allows the user to fully automatically set up the time alignment in a car for all speaker channels indepentend if these are active or passive speaker systems. The new function can be accessed by pressing "SHIFT" + "t" in any window. To use the function name ALL inputs and outputs correctly, make sure that a fullrange stereo signal is routed to analog input channels "A & B" or in case of VCP to Virtual Channels "Front Left" and "Front Right" and play the ATM test track from the SoundFiles folder. The microphone needs to be mounted in a fixed position at the the centered head position e.g. mounting the mic to the headrest facing upwords or in a 45° angle to the inner roof. At last make sure that the measurement volume is in the green/good marked area of the microphone level bar and click on the "Start" button. If necessary it is possible to select/unselect specific channels in the table of the new window.
  • BRAX DSP DiSAC volume control - New Gain-Offset options have been added for the BRAX DSPs DiSAC protocol have been added to allow a higher analog Gain inside the MX4 PRO by adding a gain offset to the analog signal domain. The option can be found in the BRAX DSP module configuration menu under the "DiSAC Volume Control" drop down menu. Beside the standard option with 0 dB new options with + 3dB, + 6dB and +9dB are available now. The adjustment can be individually configured for each output module.
  • ACO Updater - A new advanced ACO update program has been implemented which improves the update stability on slower computers
  • File manager - The default load and save directory has been changed to the 'User'/Documents directoy
  • Bugfixes - Loading an afpx file into a device which has VCP enabled will now display all Input and Output names on all menus correctly.
  • HELIX V EIGHT DSP MK2 - a bug has been fixed which caused all amplified channels to be reversed in polarity. After updating the software it might be necessary to check the polarity settings for the line outputs as these might need to be readjusted to match the correct polarity of the amplifier channels.
  • HELIX V EIGHT DSP MK2 - Line output channels I & J we reversed and are now correctly assigned
  • HELIX V TWELVE DSP - Class GD amplifier power supply control algorithm has been optimized
  • HELIX V TWELVE DSP - fixed a bug in the "ACO Features - ADEP.3 configuration"
  • HELIX DSP.3 - fixed a bug which could cause the InputEQ on input channel F to not work properly
  • MATCH PP 62DSP - Subwoofer output channel names have been renamed to properly work with the new ATM function
  • General - The internal memory slot 2 which gets deactivated in non-ACO products if a DIRECTOR is connected, got now properly renamed to visualize the reason for the deactivation.
  • General - ADEP.3 configuration set by default to "2 seconds"

·
Registered
18,416 Posts
Tried the auto signal delay feature tonight in my car, and also did an auto eq along with it. Ill give it a listen over the next few days

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just want to know how to save a tune with a name and not have it revert to M-3546759. That and what exactly is a global save?

Where can I find info on the WIFI app settings? Need to know what the different volume controls do...

Would be nice to have a feature to help alert you when channels are linked other than the little squares. I have mistakenly had the wrong channel linked which is brutal when changing crossovers, ugh. The little squares would be much easier to identify if they were directly above the channel...not all the way to the right. Having the entire area above the channel change color would be way better.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, I've never liked those little squares either - it's way too easy to confuse which square is for which channel with the way they are positioned. It would be nice if the whole "Channel A" text went into a reverse video or something like that instead of the little boxes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
exactly... I had my screen minimized just a little and it cut off the little box for the last channel. It's pretty critical when you have channels linked... much more important than a little ass box that has a check mark..lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
On a positive note I just installed Steven's MB8-2's in my doors. System sounds incredible and gets stupid LOUD

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just want to know how to save a tune with a name and not have it revert to M-3546759. That and what exactly is a global save?

Where can I find info on the WIFI app settings? Need to know what the different volume controls do...

Would be nice to have a feature to help alert you when channels are linked other than the little squares. I have mistakenly had the wrong channel linked which is brutal when changing crossovers, ugh. The little squares would be much easier to identify if they were directly above the channel...not all the way to the right. Having the entire area above the channel change color would be way better.
What would you like to know about the WiFi control? I have one fitted and use the app also

·
Registered
914 Posts
I dont understand these volume settings
The sub volume basically changes the lower limit of the subwoofer slider...

And from memory I think the other adjustments with volumes are basically start up for each of the different sources, like the directors startup volume setting, I can check next time I’m in the car though, I think I set everything to none so it didn’t adjust anything on start up except for master which I set to -30db from memory

so I adjust all the three sources to full and just use the master volume to adjust volume overall of whichever source I use

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
You are Correct. Those are the startup volume settings for each input.

And the Subwoofer setting will shorten the range for lower volume to the loudest. So according to the picture the sub volume will range from -10dB to 0dB.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Tried the auto signal delay feature tonight in my car, and also did an auto eq along with it. Ill give it a listen over the next few days
Did you include the sub channels in that auto signal delay? Curious to know how well you think it performs!

·
Registered
18,416 Posts
Sometimes i thing Helx DSPs are far ahead of other brands DSPs...is there any brand that can compete...
The only thing I can think of that helix doesn't beat is the dirac auto tune in the minidsp. But, it has the advantage in every other regard. Outside of that, I dont think anyone stacks up. I think i like Mosconi's controllers a hair more though, but they aren't as flexible.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried out the auto time alignment today just for giggles and it was ridiculously off. Probably user error, but I tried it a few times.

I wish there were better instructions because I don't really understand what to really do. I set my midrange as the measured distance anchor point on the left hand side.

I used the Audiofrog mic, but maybe the Umik would be better suited.

Perhaps the Helix doesn't like the eq settings on the channels and then time aligning after.

Nevertheless, I am sure someone will chime in who knows how to use it and provide me with a dunce hat.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd also be interested to hear from someone who has successfully implemented the Auto Time Alignment.
I haven't tried it (yet)... but I'm curious to see how accurate it is.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Can we get a little tutorial on how to do auto eq right? Also how do you use the wifi for tuning?

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
313 Posts
I tried autotune last night and it worked perfect. I chose he delay option not the distance so no numbers had to be input. Hit shift+T then a screen pops up. There is an option to use left midbass or right midbass for reference. I left it at the left midbass option.
Then make sure there is a red X next to every speaker you plan on auto aligning. There won’t be an option to check or Uncheck the reference channel.
Play the time align track, turn up the volume with all speakers playing the popping sounds and make sure the indicator for the volume is in the green.
Now hit start.
It will tell you what it is testing.
You will hear slight changes in the pop sounds when it is testing different speakers. After a few minutes all the new delays will populate and be added.

I must add I am having issues with the software. First time trying the auto time I thought it did a horrible job. Only to realize that it had placed a check in one of the speakers HP filters bypassing it. Reenabled it and it was perfect image. More focused than I’ve ever heard it.

Second issue with the software update is a major issue. After updating and auto time alignment I restart my car and there is insane amount of engine noise, whine and even turning on the AC created more noise. I went to bed wanting to rip out all the car audio and walk away from the hobby.
This morning first thing I started the car and it was still bad. So I reverted back to the previous software and it was dead quiet.
Loaded the tune which is yet another issue. Loading a tune would not place the name in the 1-10 slot list. It would show loaded with no name. So have to rename the tune in its slot and save it as a new file. Then all is good.
Played it while driving to gas station Start car back up and the insane engine noise is back. Went they the entire process of loading the old software again and saving and renaming. And noise is gone. For some reason The new software is making crazy engine noise happen. Doesn’t even seem possible that it could make that happen but it does.
what Is the ACO driver? Because it updates this also after the software. Maybe it’s the aco driver that’s bad. I revert both back to the previous to rid the engine noise

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
313 Posts
Can we get a little tutorial on how to do auto eq right? Also how do you use the wifi for tuning?
You connect the laptop to helix via WiFi. Open the software and change it from usb to WiFi. After that tuning is all the same and done from a laptop.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yeah, I've learned to wait a few weeks before using new Helix software updates (in fact I never even updated to the last significant update because I had issues when I initially tried and ended up reverting back since the new version was mainly for the Ultra). They usually end up releasing an update to address some significant issues pretty quickly...

1 - 20 of 144 Posts