DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 audi a4

I purchased a new pioneer avh-p4200dvd, great unit, but it gets bad reception
i know theres an amplified antenna adapter for it which i purchased, but it still gets crappy reception, sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont

il move the car like 2 inches forward and the signal will become perfect, then 2 inches again and it will become static...

would hooking up an FM adapter solve the issue, basically tossing out the existing signal adapter and putting in this one Car Radio Fm Antenna Signal Booster Amplifier 15db Gain | eBay

clearly this unit is bigger so it must have more of a punch?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It should work fine with what you have, Double check the fitting of the adaptor and if that is sound try another as you may have a faulty unit. You did hook up the turnon to the remote wire on the back of the HU didn't you? Also did you disconnect the remote from going back into the car loom?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should work fine with what you have, Double check the fitting of the adaptor and if that is sound try another as you may have a faulty unit. You did hook up the turnon to the remote wire on the back of the HU didn't you? Also did you disconnect the remote from going back into the car loom?
yes, everything is wired correctly, but from what i heard, on audi forums, people are saying the audi uses a diversity antenna which is garbage, even when it had its original radio it wasnt that great, my cadillac on the other hand gets crystal clear reception, almost like ur playing the music from a cd.

their telling me that its impossible to get better reception because of the "physics" of the car. which i find hard to believe, almost like the car is made of copper lol...

and the head unit cant be faulty because its brand new and i have also tried my friends HU which does the same thing...

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Are you powering the diversity antenna as well? I was going through the same problem with my Camry, as soon as the diversity was properly powered, FM reception was fixed drasitcally

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Better solution to your problem, add the HD Radio Antenna for the head unit. Yes it'll cost money but the sound will indeed reflect refinement. You can't go wrong this route.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you powering the diversity antenna as well? I was going through the same problem with my Camry, as soon as the diversity was properly powered, FM reception was fixed drasitcally
yes i it is powered, but even then its not that great, i will try and see if this little amp works, if not then il have to find an external antenna.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know how frustrating this FM reception thing can be. I just replaced the coax cable, antenna base, and mast in my '89 325ix trying to improve reception with an Alpine HU. I even upgraded to an amplified base from a '95 318ti. It's marginally okay with the car off but goes almost completely out with the car on. I think I might take the coax back out and wrap it all in aluminum foil to see if that will work as sort of a home-brew shield.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In situations like these it's best to go the old school way... Hook up a universal antenna, and for instance place this in the passenger seat. Go for a quick trip, to determine if this setup works better or not. IF it works better, your OEM antenna is broken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts