DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

new image dynamics ctx124 and ctx104 any good?

9K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  gjmallory 
#1 ·
these are the same subs, just different sizes. i'm looking for an SQ setup without breaking the bank. are these good quality and bang for your buck? i would like very accurate, tight, punchy bass. should i get the 10" or 12"?

i was also considering an infinity 1260w. how do the image dynamics compare to that sub?

#3 ·
i've installed a cpl of them. the ctx124 in a car with an i5800. box was 1.5 sealed. sounded good.

#7 ·
I have 2 CTX124's on the way. I will be using these in an IB set-up. I have a small trunk (7 ft3... VW Cabrio). They look good based on The Win Isd model and they have 17 mm xmax. In the manual, they actually are recommended for Infinite Baffle.

Sent from my phone...

#10 ·
They are good entry level subs. Nothing except the brand name sets them apart from other entry level subs, though. Linear xmax is only about 10.5mm one way, 14mm and the coil is out of the gap. The voice coils are 1.5" with only 1.125" winding. My first hand experience - they performed very similar to the T3 audio T200 12". The CTX's use a plastic collar over the voice coil similar to JL's old VRC collar and the coil came unglued from it on one of mine and the spiders were sagging so I tore them down and am building a pair of 8's with the motors.

These are the 8" baskets... yes, the motors are that small.

This is an old school 8w6 voice coil next to the CTX voice coil.

#13 ·
#11 ·
Great review effort. I guess these are probably in the same league with Infinity Reference (which are known to sound good if setup right, but assembly quality is variable). Motor/magnet size probably explains low power handling. These are probably good for people with an anemic amplifier.

10mm xmax is not bad for the 8 inch subwoofer. Alpine somehow claims that their R8 has 14mm xmax, the VC is also out of gap past 10mm (according to their documentation sheet).

#19 ·

I am still figuring out a good balance between length/thickness of voice coil windings, aluminum vs. copper wire, motor strength, and suspension stiffness. Most of my little tinker projects end up with a Qts of over 1, but I think I have it figured out now. My last project was an original IDQ10, but I went a little too stiff with the suspension and the qes was like 1.3, the qts was 1.1, and the sensitivity was 79. :(

#20 ·
I just finished installing 2x CTX124's in an infinite baffle configuration in a Vw Cabrio...they sound awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.