DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started on the new install (blowthrough). The setup is:

DEH-P880PRS (possibly 800PRS- haven't ordered yet)
TS-C720PRS
PRS-D4100F
2 Premier TS-W2502SPL 10" subs
2 PRS-D1100M
Box vented/shown through bed and cab

I built the enclosure yesterday. Here are a few pics:

I coated the enclosure in 3 layers of fiberglass resin to weatherproof it. It will get a few more coats/sanding and paint before install:

This saturday the bed will be coming off to take the old enclosure out and install this one. The HU should be here by then, and everything should drop in without much hassle.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It will look similar to this when it's done, except with 2 subs and the Premier logo obviously. This is one I did last year:

Trim Panel:

Spray-in Bedliner over box:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the difference is I'm not doing it on a 2007 F-150 or anything... :D I don't think I'd have the guts to do it at that point. But, being that my truck is 5 years old, and was picked up for about $5k, I wasn't super worried about it. It's funny- I posted up my previous build over on CA.com, and people were so quick to criticize something because they were afraid to try it themselves. People mentioned all these options for subs I had without cutting through, like I hadn't looked into them all. I even had one guy suggest I put some crazy pedestal-like fiberglass enclosure above my center console in between the 2 seats. :rolleyes: I guess to each their own.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I remember a lot of folks recommending those subs in the past....I think they're decent...

An old SIN member has an S-10 that has held 4 15" Tempests, RE SEs,etc in his blowthrough for the last few years...BRUTAL.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I am not going so much for SPL, but would like a little more low end on tap if I'm in the mood :) This is my first vented enclosure build, so that is half the reason I am doing the build this way. I am eager to see how it sounds. I'd really like to get my hands on a PRS 12" or two and do a vented enclosure but they are hard to come by. :(

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay... a few updates. The install is pretty much complete. I spent all day yesterday on the amp rack, wiring, trim panel, and install of components after installing the box about a week ago. All that remains is the top portion of the amp rack that will flush the amps. I still need to work on getting it to fit right... pretty tight squeeze between the seats and the back of the cab. Anyway, here are some pics of my work:

Here is the box installed, sealed, and painted. I will be doing a spray-in bedliner over it, so it will look a little more streamline:

The box is bolted down with 2 large carriage bolts through the bottom of the bed:

Here is the trim panel sitting in place, and the uncarpeted amp rack in for a test fit:

And another shot:

Here is my new pride and joy :D

Continued...

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few more shots of the amp rack:

A rough idea of what it will look like:

Power distribution underneath the amp rack:

Amp rack in place, running wires:

And a night shot of everything powered up (crappy- sorry)

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And a few pics from this morning:

There's still some clean-up to do, and about 3 weeks worth of tuning per Marv's tuning tutorial, but first impressions are pretty awesome. These little ICE amps are EXTREMELY impressive. They put out loads of power for how small they are, and I noticed no decrease in SQ or range compared to an Alpine A/B amp on the same components. Granted, that was with an 880PRS, but they are essentially the same HUs. There is plenty of sparkle up top, even with the EQ flat as of now. I need to get the flush mounted amp trim panel finished and vacuum the hell out of the interior, but it's not bad for a little beater S-10. I wish I had access to a shop so I could achieve a little more of a refined finished look like what Bing and some of the other guys can do, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out, considering I did everything out of my garage with a jigsaw, skil saw, and a socket set. :p

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That is a crazy install, mainly the sub box. I might have used some 1/2" - 3/4" spacers under the amps and had the wire holes hidden under the amps. But its way more install than I could ever do as it is. That sub action must be the most sub feel of any S10.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They really are, and to be able to fit the amps between the back seat and the cab wall in a single cab S-10 was like finding the toy at the bottom of a box of Lucky Charms! :D I wanted to do an entire PRS setup, and accomplished it with the exception of the subs, which are Premier's SPL subs from last year. If I can find a nice pair of the PRS 12" that will complete everything. Honestly though, these subs are very underrated. They've got excellent response and perform very well in the vented enclosure I built. Extremely punchy and accurate, but can dig deep as well. Overall I am very impressed with Pioneer lately. I had the 880PRS and have had the 720s before, but these new amps are amazing, and the subs are great as well. Kudos to Pioneer. The best part about it is I have less than $1250 in all the equipment, and probably under $200 in the rest of the install.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well technically it is pretty much the same deck. The interface is slightly different, but as far as SQ, I'd say it is the same. The only difference is the copper chassis really. It does have the ASR, which I'll probably never use (if it is selectable) but other than that I think the features are the same. I wanted the darker face and the copper chassis, plus I just wanted to own something I haven't already had. I have had 2 Alpine headunits since my 880, so it is hard to really say what the differences are SQ-wise. I can say that the 800 sounds AMAZING. It's processing abilities coupled with its tuning features make it hands down the best brand new HU available in its price range, and even a tad beyond. I loved my 9887, and my 9835, and a lot of other headunits I've had, but this one wins hands down. The classy look, fit and finish, ease of use, plethora of capabilities and affordability make it one of the best all-around headunits out there for sure. Before the leghumpers come in and bark at me, I'm not saying it sounds better than a Denon Z1, or a McIntosh. ;) Even if I said so, I'd be speaking out of my ass, because I have no personal experience with either of those units. However, FOR THE MONEY, I'd say the 800 is definitely toward the top of the list. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well technically it is pretty much the same deck. The interface is slightly different, but as far as SQ, I'd say it is the same. The only difference is the copper chassis really. It does have the ASR, which I'll probably never use (if it is selectable) but other than that I think the features are the same. I wanted the darker face and the copper chassis, plus I just wanted to own something I haven't already had. I have had 2 Alpine headunits since my 880, so it is hard to really say what the differences are SQ-wise. I can say that the 800 sounds AMAZING. It's processing abilities coupled with its tuning features make it hands down the best brand new HU available in its price range, and even a tad beyond. I loved my 9887, and my 9835, and a lot of other headunits I've had, but this one wins hands down. The classy look, fit and finish, ease of use, plethora of capabilities and affordability make it one of the best all-around headunits out there for sure. Before the leghumpers come in and bark at me, I'm not saying it sounds better than a Denon Z1, or a McIntosh. ;) Even if I said so, I'd be speaking out of my ass, because I have no personal experience with either of those units. However, FOR THE MONEY, I'd say the 800 is definitely toward the top of the list. :)
no kidding, just got mine in the other day, sound is a night and day difference coming from a cda-9815. deffinately glad i got it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
looks good, very simple. i just have a suggestion... y not build out an extra storage box next to the sub box, and integrate them together. IMO it would look good, since it would take up the whole width of the bed, making it look more stock, like ur previous blowthrough /w the type r's. Just a suggestion to make things look cleaner in the bed

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I kicked that idea around. My original idea was actually to have two seperate enclosures- one behind the passenger seat and one behind the driver's seat, with the amps in between the two boxes. Then, that entire thing would be enclosed in one large box similar to my Alpine install, and the amps and subs would be shown through the cab. I couldn't pull the airspace I wanted out of the two seperate enclosures though because of the vent length required. By combining the enclosures, I was able to use a single port and cut down on the required length. I may do the toolbox idea though, although once the bedliner is in, it will look like little more than a fuel cell.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.