DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had any experience with the 09 model Kenwood Amps? I love the look of them and the price is pretty darn good for some of the power they claim to put out? Currently im running a kicker zx700.5 to run everything, but i need more power for my New DIYMA sub i just ordered. I was thinking of running a KENWOOD KAC-8404 for my components, and a KENWOOD KAC-9104D to run my DIYMA. i know i read on the caraudiomag site, the monoblock put out 500rms at 4ohms which should be enough for the DIYMA, but havent heard much else about the amps??

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Has anybody had any experience with the 09 model Kenwood Amps? I love the look of them and the price is pretty darn good for some of the power they claim to put out? Currently im running a kicker zx700.5 to run everything, but i need more power for my New DIYMA sub i just ordered. I was thinking of running a KENWOOD KAC-8404 for my components, and a KENWOOD KAC-9104D to run my DIYMA. i know i read on the caraudiomag site, the monoblock put out 500rms at 4ohms which should be enough for the DIYMA, but havent heard much else about the amps??
Kenwood amps are frowned upon on this forum,regardless of the innovations they bring to the table. Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get much information on them here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kenwood amps are frowned upon on this forum,regardless of the innovations they bring to the table. Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get much information on them here.
yer kidding right?.....oh wait, just saw your sig....lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i really wanna go with PDX amps, but the price tag just gets me.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pdx 100.4 and a pdx 600.1 are what i really want, but its about twice the price

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why do the kenwood amps have a bad rap around here. The ones iv played with before seemed like very sold units and performed very well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what im hoping? for $160 shipped, i can get 500rms watts at 4ohms, and they look good. $140 shipped for my 4 channel.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I was about to throw a fit. I just bought one of the X4R's, hopefully hook it up tomorrow night. From a build-quality standpoint, it's a damned fine amp. I think it will work out real nicely.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used a Kenwood amp in my 99 Taurus for over 1 1/2 years, and it never gave me any problems. For the price, you could do a lot worse.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was about to throw a fit. I just bought one of the X4R's, hopefully hook it up tomorrow night. From a build-quality standpoint, it's a damned fine amp. I think it will work out real nicely.
I got one delivered Monday that is waiting to be installed. I haven't opened it up, but it seems quite nice from what I can see. Easily as solid as some old PPI, DEI, and my current Polk Amp. And the X4R seems to do everything.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I went from a jl 300/4 and 500/1 to a single x4r. Different system, different car, so I can't compare directly, but so far I am happy with it,especially the dsp :).

jps

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
even the high end kenwoods are decently priced.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I beleve Kenwood gets a bad rap all the way around. Kenwood Excelon decks are solid good preformers. Just stay away from their 5 year old amps that followed the trend that Sony, Pioneer and others had set of stating max power on their amps. All of their Excelon amps make stated power and have some pretty cool features.

Are they Arc Audio, JL, Tru or any of the truely special but outrageously priced amps out there, no. Are they solid watt for dollar amps that have good reliability, yes. This isn't just an opinion but evidence collected from a shop I "worked" with who sold kenwood as a mid line. I saw install after install and was impressed. I heard one 98 Jetta that was ALL Kenwood. It had peaked my interest because I have a 98 Jetta that was Alpine, Arc and Rainbow. While my system sounded better and staged better, he hit a lot punchier and much louder. I had an Arc 1500dr on two Arc 12's and he had a 1000 watt Excellon amp on Kenwoods funny coned (tornado?) subs. It hit really hard and I was surprised. Price to sound he had me killed even though I sounded better. Something I remember every time I shop for new gear.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Would prefer to buy a used PG MS version.. anytime much better than Kenwood.
Isn't that an apples to diamonds comparison?

The PG MS is a very rare amp and not even in the same price range. I would rather have a Arc Audio 2500 over a Kenwood (I do have the Arc). The price difference if 2-4x.

PG MS 2-75 on ebay for $400+.
RARE PHOENIX GOLD MS-2125 AMP-NEAR MINT-MS2125 NO RES! - eBay (item 110365086594 end time Mar-23-09 18:05:56 PDT)

Some great amp gut shots of same amp:
Phoenix Gold MS-2125

A new Kenwood Excelon KAC-X1R runs $250-450 on Ebay reliable stores. On paper does double the PG but, again, apples and diamonds.

I would rather have a few clariArc amps for cheap but they have vanished. I check all the time, nobody selling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
it is sad to see that kenwood (from back in the late 80's going in to the early 90's...i had 2 kac 1023's and that was 1000watts for real installed in my nissan sentra...pushing 2 12 inches xmaxx from PG and was named the loudest car in aruba for 3 conseccutive years in a row.....memories!!!!!!) went from top brand to mild brand.....still
i have experience with some newer models..(lets say about 5 years ago) and they were i m o overrated....but for watt/$ it came out good for those who needed it
not speciffically SQ amps....but i'd say more moderate amps.....to get what u want
and indeed...i would agree....i would take an ms2125 or any other ms amp over the new kenwoods.....its just not what it used to be!!!

who knows...maybe u buy it and can prove all of us ,that are skeptical about it, wrong
waiting

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Seems like Kenwood parted with the dsp features of the x4r in the new 4 ch amps in exchange for a smaller size and the new mono has less power than the x1r but again, a bit smaller.

Id still go with the x4r/x1r

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
it is sad to see that kenwood (from back in the late 80's going in to the early 90's...i had 2 kac 1023's and that was 1000watts for real installed in my nissan sentra...pushing 2 12 inches xmaxx from PG and was named the loudest car in aruba for 3 conseccutive years in a row.....memories!!!!!!) went from top brand to mild brand.....still
i have experience with some newer models..(lets say about 5 years ago) and they were i m o overrated....but for watt/$ it came out good for those who needed it
not speciffically SQ amps....but i'd say more moderate amps.....to get what u want
and indeed...i would agree....i would take an ms2125 or any other ms amp over the new kenwoods.....its just not what it used to be!!!

who knows...maybe u buy it and can prove all of us ,that are skeptical about it, wrong
waiting
I dont see how you are comparing an inexpensive, feature laden, digital amp to a notoriously expensive yet extremely well built old school a/b class PG.

You can get old school kenwood to compare the the old school PG if you want but it just seems like a silly comparison.

BTW, the kenwood amps sound as good as any other amp I tried and I do believe some amps sound different, but IME the kenwoods just sounds like any other amp that I heard and decided to keep.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I'm running the X4R and X1R combo in one of my cars and am very happy with them. The X4R is running active to Seas Neos and ID CX62's. Sound quality is very good for the price, the features are excellent, and it has some power too. :)

Chris

1 - 20 of 60 Posts