DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hmm, that is interesting. I would have never expected "noise filters" (are they "ground loop isolators"?) to work when they were installed before the long RCA runs! If anything, I would think that they would have worked when installed between the DSP and the amp (since the noise is only present when the DSP is connected).

So being that they remove the noise when installed between the AmpPro and the RCA cables (at the beginning of the RCA cable), what does that tell us? Wouldn't that mean that the noise has to be coming from the AmpPro? However, that doesn't make any sense, because the noise isn't there if the DSP is removed from the signal chain (if the noise was coming from the AmpPro, you'd think it would still be present even when the DSP is removed from the signal chain).

I know it doesn't really matter to the OP - he's just happy that the noise is gone, but it would drive me absolutely crazy until I knew what the root cause was. :) I do also wonder how the ground loop isolators effect the sound quality - I've always read that they negatively impact the sound quality.

OP - where is the AmpPro physically installed? I'm wondering if the AmpPro is picking up some kind of EFI-type noise due to it's physical install location... Again, I know it doesn't really matter to you at this point, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but I'm really curious where the noise is coming from, being that I use the same AmpPro on the same vehicle. I have mine installed on the back of the cardboard-like material that is above the gas/brake-pedal area. It's just industrial-strength velcro'd to the back of that piece. The reason that I installed mine there was so I could gain physical access to the AmpPro easily if needed in the future (firmware updates, dip-switch settings, cabling access, etc). Although, again, that still doesn't explain why there is no noise if the DSP is taken out of the picture... Hmm... Very strange. Curious what the folks smarter and more experienced than myself think about this. :)

Anyway.... Glad to hear that the noise is gone!!! :) Can't wait until you can get those dash speakers working now! If you are happy with the sound quality now, just wait until you get the dash speakers working and the entire system tuned!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Great news!

Try using this to pry up your dash speaker grills...

Keenso Red Plastic Wedge Panel Removal Tool @ Amazon

You can find other panel removal tools and handy tools for car audio installation in general here...

Dean & Fernando's Tool Drawer - 5 Star Car Stereo
Thanks... I purchased a kit.

This is the part I hate because I always end up breaking a clip or something and my car is never the same... but the front tweeters are officially next on my list to get working.
I drove around for a few hours now that the noise issue is gone... and everything sounds AMAZING... except not having those front dash speakers is a glaring hole in the sound.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Hmm, that is interesting. I would have never expected "noise filters" (are they "ground loop isolators"?) to work when they were installed before the long RCA runs! If anything, I would think that they would have worked when installed between the DSP and the amp (since the noise is only present when the DSP is connected).

So being that they remove the noise when installed between the AmpPro and the RCA cables (at the beginning of the RCA cable), what does that tell us? Wouldn't that mean that the noise has to be coming from the AmpPro? However, that doesn't make any sense, because the noise isn't there if the DSP is removed from the signal chain (if the noise was coming from the AmpPro, you'd think it would still be present even when the DSP is removed from the signal chain).

I know it doesn't really matter to the OP - he's just happy that the noise is gone, but it would drive me absolutely crazy until I knew what the root cause was. :) I do also wonder how the ground loop isolators effect the sound quality - I've always read that they negatively impact the sound quality.

OP - where is the AmpPro physically installed? I'm wondering if the AmpPro is picking up some kind of EFI-type noise due to it's physical install location... Again, I know it doesn't really matter to you at this point, so I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but I'm really curious where the noise is coming from, being that I use the same AmpPro on the same vehicle. I have mine installed on the back of the cardboard-like material that is above the gas/brake-pedal area. It's just industrial-strength velcro'd to the back of that piece. The reason that I installed mine there was so I could gain physical access to the AmpPro easily if needed in the future (firmware updates, dip-switch settings, cabling access, etc). Although, again, that still doesn't explain why there is no noise if the DSP is taken out of the picture... Hmm... Very strange. Curious what the folks smarter and more experienced than myself think about this. :)

Anyway.... Glad to hear that the noise is gone!!! :) Can't wait until you can get those dash speakers working now! If you are happy with the sound quality now, just wait until you get the dash speakers working and the entire system tuned!!!
AmpPro is tucked in the dash next to the radio.
You're right... perhaps I should investigate more... but honestly, with the filters, it is dead silent with all the DSP settings pegged at the top of their volume.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm done with the noise issue.
It sounds great... it really does... and that's without even messing with the DSP other than the time settings.
I don't think those filter affect the sound... at least not that I can tell.
When I turn it up to 30 ( out of 38 ) it's perfect... loud... clear... I tend to listen to clarity of music judging by the drums and bass guitar... the rest takes care of itself.
I can hear the kick drum crystal clear... and the bass guitar is separated perfectly... I can hear the distinct sound of the snare... everything is coming through except the ride/cymbal because the tweeters aren't working. I love the sub volume control that the PAC unit has... adjustable for every song to get the low end just right. I can't wait to see how the mic and REW software help.

This is turning out exactly as I had hoped it would.

2 steps left... get those dash speakers working... then use the mic/REW software to help set the DSP.

Thanks again... for everything!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Tweeter Update:
I got the dash taken apart... to be honest, I was hoping the place that screwed up this system forgot to hook up the tweeters or something simple.
But the tweeters look fine and are hooked up with a small box in line that I assume is the passive crossover. It says Kenwood on it.

I left everything apart because I didn't have time to take the door panels off... that'll happen... hopefully... this weekend.

I have to assume it is wired incorrectly at the 6x9's.

I still can't believe they screwed me this badly... and they aren't even open so I can go back there and complain.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Tweeter Update:
I got the dash taken apart... to be honest, I was hoping the place that screwed up this system forgot to hook up the tweeters or something simple.
But the tweeters look fine and are hooked up with a small box in line that I assume is the passive crossover. It says Kenwood on it.

I left everything apart because I didn't have time to take the door panels off... that'll happen... hopefully... this weekend.

I have to assume it is wired incorrectly at the 6x9's.

I still can't believe they screwed me this badly... and they aren't even open so I can go back there and complain.
Thanks for the update. I sure hope it's something simple when you look at the midbass door speakers.

I will say - the door panels on these Challengers are relatively easy to remove and re-install. I love the fact that they use actual screws along the bottom of the door panel. The door panels on my 2012 Impala don't have any screws along the bottom - all "clips". I just think that screws do a much better job.

Looking forward to hearing what you find in the doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Excelon speakers, shallow mount 12", and Amp Pro in my 2018 Challenger. Currently running a Pioneer 5 channel but have been looking at the XR901-5, 401-4, and Dayton DSP for a 3 way full active setup. Thanks for all the info here. Consider me subscribed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Update: Tweeters finally installed!!!

So... I know it took forever, but I’ve been sooooo busy.
Decided to stay home here in Michigan for Memorial Day weekend and get some things done at home... and finally tackled the tweeters.

I bought a Boss 2 channel amp because I really want to take advantage of the final 2 channels on the DSP.
Pulled off all the trim necessary to run the wires from the dash tweeters to the back.
Ran the speaker wire, everything is soldered, BTW, using sealed connectors and a heat gun throughout my whole system. Hooked up the power and remote turn on... then fired it up.

JT... man were you ever right!
Getting those dash speakers working was really a huge upgrade!
It really rounds out the system.

So... back to my rating scale...
Started out stock at 3 out of 10.
After getting the Kenwood Excelon system installed at that crappy shop with generic PAC units and resistors... it was better, but not great at 5 out of 10.

That‘s when I came here for help... thanks JT... adding the AmpPro and DSP got me to 7 out of 10... even without the dash speakers that never did work after the shop was finished.

So that brings me to today... dash speakers installed run with a 2 channel Boss amp running through the DAYTON DSP... I am now sitting at 9 out of 10!!!

The sound is big and full... and really loud!

This has really turned into the special system I was looking for when I started this project a long time ago.

Now... just one more step... use the mic and the software to set the DSP.
I have it sounding great by ear... but I am anxious to see what that brings to the table.
Hopefully... 10 out of 10 😀

Thanks again JT... for all the help and encouragement along the way.... I never could have done this without you!

Thanks to everyone else too, that helped... what a great resource this website is!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
That is awesome news!! You'll easily get to a 10 out of 10 once you get the DSP fully figured out and tuned. However, the DSP tuning is probably the hardest part and will take the longest. It takes lots of time and patience. However, what you can do pretty easily is get the levels set and time-alignment set. That alone will help a lot (if not already done). EQ and phase takes a lot more work and I'm still trying to figure it all out myself. The good news is that you can work on it little by little - it will always sound at least as good as it does now. :) You can keep a preset for your current tune and use another preset (or more) to learn with.

I'm so glad you stuck with it and figured it all out yourself. A lot of people would have given up. If you enjoy this kind of thing (and I think you do!), it'll be time well spent. There is a certain "pride" that comes with successfully installing your own system. :)

Of course, the forum is here to help along the way as you learn to tune that DSP!

You're probably better off than I am right now. I upgraded to more expensive dash speakers and ended up damaging one somehow, so my system is a little crippled right now - and I'm too lazy to put the Kenwoods back in right now (have new speakers on the way though). Probably should have just left well-enough along and left the Kenwood dash speakers in there! :)

Anyway - thanks for the update - I really appreciate it. Now you get to reap the rewards and enjoy the great sounding music!

101 - 108 of 108 Posts