DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott Buwalda's company, Hybrid Audio Technologies, just launched their new website.
Especially interesting is the new 3" Legatia midrange, available in February, to be shown at CES.

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/product_detail.asp?section=0001000200020001

Could be the answer for those of us looking for a small high-end mid-range,
looking forward to hearing how it does.
One of the configurations listed is tweeter, mid-range and up-front sub which is what I want to do in my truck; tweeter in A-pillar, mid in dash and sub between front seats.

:)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
cdj said:
Scott Buwalda's company, Hybrid Audio Technologies, just launched their new website.
Especially interesting is the new 3" Legatia midrange, available in February, to be shown at CES.

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/product_detail.asp?section=0001000200020001

Could be the answer for those of us looking for a small high-end mid-range,
looking forward to hearing how it does.
One of the configurations listed is tweeter, mid-range and up-front sub which is what I want to do in my truck; tweeter in A-pillar, mid in dash and sub between front seats.

I do believe this has been discussed before ;)
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1630&highlight=Scott+Buwalda

·
Registered
578 Posts
Interesting driver... my only curiosity ofcoarse is what they will be charging & how it will test.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Interesting driver... but we already have the wonderful Trius, Aura whispers, Peerless exclusive, CSS, and the list goes on and on. These are proven, affordable drivers. I'm curious to see what the Legatia brings to the table :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
MHLY01 said:
I will be listening to it at CES. Supposedly the retail price will be somwhere around mid 200 I hear.

god i hope that's for a pair.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
MHLY01 said:
Supposedly the retail price will be somwhere around mid 200 I hear.
In that case i sure wouldnt even look at it... It would have to be one kick a$$ mid for someone to consider it over a Peerless Exclusive...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mid $250??? LOL
Can't wait for the test reports... Just don't let Eric Holdaway do the review, cause I have lost faith in him since the Zapco comp review...

W

·
0 Posts
hey guys have the physical dimensions of this driver been posted yet?

The reason I ask, if it really is a 3" midrange ... that's a big difference, in my opinion, from a 4" midrange. That extra inch may not sound like much. But that almost 80% increase in area can make a BIG difference when you're trying to squeeze them up in the dash someplace.

Of course, there is that new Focal BE midrange that's also 3" (not 4) ... but the price is significantly ... well, different.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
From the pic on their website it looks larger than 3"... and the magnet looks quite large making A-pillar install a bit more difficult with that extra weight to support...

·
Registered
524 Posts
npdang said:
Interesting driver... but we already have the wonderful Trius, Aura whispers, Peerless exclusive, CSS, and the list goes on and on. These are proven, affordable drivers. I'm curious to see what the Legatia brings to the table :)
[cough, cough] ...Trius group buy... [/cough, cough] ;)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
interesting looking, they look closer to 4" total diameter, still far smaller than my dls ir3's lol

200 shipped, would seem about right for retail, if they can indeed play down to 200hz, Im going to hear them tommorrow myself :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
werewolf said:
yep - passive radiators. Can't compare to midrange drivers.

it could have been a joke that we are missing out on.....

like...something that makes no sound....sounds better....than the lagaysha mid.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
npdang said:
I was about to provide a link to a thread at buwaldahybrids.com comparing and contrasting what was known about this driver over the summer to the Aura NS3. However, the thread seems to have disappeared from their forum. Funny, that.

The jist of it was that for those of us who know what we're doing, the main advantages of the Buwalda mid is that it has a more rigid chassis and arguably higher efficiency. The advantages of the NS3 are basically everything else at a massively lower price. Also, given what we now know thanks to Dr. Geddes' recent JAES article about the the sonic effects of diffraction at real music SPL, the choice of a suspension with such a definite acute-angle edge puzzles me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts