DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was directed here from another forum and thought I'd butt in to get some recommendations.

I have been out of the car audio scene since the late 90's/early 2000's so I'm pretty rusty on brands and knowledge in general.

I'm looking to build a budget system for my car, under $1000 total would be great for a components, h/u, amps and subs. I can go a little higher than that, but not much. I'm not a true audiophile, but the stock system isn't cutting it for me. I don't need a ton of bass from the subs either, just looking for more than coaxials can provide.

All this will be going in an '05 Chevy Cobalt Coupe.

Just browsing the net I came up with the following...

Head Unit:
Clarion CX501 - $183 from Amazon. Double DIN would be nice as the Cobalt h/u area already looks pretty bare. The Clarion looked good to me with 4v preouts, I just don't know about added features like subwoofer level control.

Subs:
10" JL Audio 10w0v3 (x2) - $180 from Amazon. I picked these because I've owned a trio of 12w0's before and I was happy with them. I will most likely need 10's due to desired enclosure size and trunk space, but I really don't know what else is out there in this price range.

Components:
Alpine Type-R SPR-60C comps - $158 from Amazon. These came recommended to me from a friend, so not sure how great they really are. The 110w RMS rating is about the highest I'd want to go for components. Again, not real sure what's good out there in this price range.

Rear Fill:
Alpine Type-R SPR-69 6x9 - $75 from Amazon. Whatever doesn't cost a lot is fine here, they just matched the component set closely by RMS wattage.

Amplifiers:
I'm kind of mixed here on going with the Alpine MRX-50 + MRX-F30 combo or going with a PDX-5. The PDX-5 looks like a better suit for the components' RMS requirements but might run a little low for the subs. A big concern here is avoiding electrical system upgrade at least until a later date when I can afford it. The PDX-5 looked like a good amp to keep the electrical system happy vs. the two other amps. $350 is probably the most I would want to spend here unless I can cut costs elsewhere.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome here. I'm also open to other sellers, Amazon just seemed to have the best "new" prices on the items I listed.

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts