DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I got in my 2008 Cooper, I ignored the huge speedometer in the center and stared at the round adjustable vents in the ends of the dash. My immediate thought was "B&W 801's".. I pictured yanking the vent housing, and building replacements that would hold a 4" or 5" mid where the vent is, with a neo dome tweeter above it, and back for time alignment, like the top section of the 801's.

Obviously I don't have the room for the big housing like the 801 had, but if I used Dynaudio's MW142 dome mid, I wouldn't have to worry about the need for a properly sized enclosure that a normal mid driver would require..

The upside? On axis mids and tweeters at shoulder level.

The downside?
1. Early side reflections from the door and window.
2. Possible problems integrating the MW142 with the mid/bass speakers low in the stock door position ( I plan to use MW162's, the largest speaker I can place in the door and still have clearance for the window in the down position ).
3. I'd also have to re-route the air feeding the now deleted vent. I could direct it up behind the tweet through a grid built into the custom dash end. I should note, the stock dash ends are plastic side components.

Any thoughts?

Bill in P.G.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WL Dock, thank you for the pic's, I was trying last night to get my phone to load pic's that I took into my laptop to put in this thread, looks like my phone is on the blink download wise.. It really helps for the folks to see what I'm talking about.

How hard is it to pull the vent "enclosures" off? I figured I'd look at the REAL-OEM site for drawings to get an idea.. How are they held in place?

I thought I'd order a pair from BMW to use as a mold, and build kevlar/carbon weave replacements ( I've got a bunch of the weave from my R.C. addiction ), with the tweeter housing as part of the mold ( unlike the 801, which although looks like one unit, is actually two, with the tweeter housing attached via an elastic bonding material to nix tweet/mid interaction.. Those guys are brilliant, I ain't that anal :) ).

I like the 2nd example in the pic's, custom in-dash, man that's some work. The first example is nice as well and probably sounds great, but I really don't want to block any visability in the corner of the windshields, I pull out in front of too many vehicles on my left as it is :D.

Again, thanx for the replies, let me know about any land mines pulling those vent enclosures.

Cheers,

Bill in P.G.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Hey, proceed at your own risk. In some ways you will be doing a dash modification so make sure you cover all bases and don't get in over your head. You will nedd to also black the airflow as well. I think will need to do some custom work anyway to get them to look good.
As far as the A Pillar mount....I don't think it is that bad as far as visibility...and you get to keep your vents. But that is such a personal choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE; the A pillar setup in your pic's, yep, that has a heck of a lot going for it. Retaining the stock side vents is major just on it's own.. After sending my reply today, and then getting into the vehicle, I realized they wouldn't be blocking much of a side view after all, and the frontal area blocked is minimal, so it's a good setup..

Thanx for the heads up regarding replacement dash ends. I knew it wouldn't be a picnic, but considering what it would take to do so on most vehicles, I think the Mini is a good candidate. It'l be a long time before I tackle it though, the Mrs. thinks I'm nuts upgrading from the factory system that I'm doing right now. In her mind, It's brand new, why would you go replacing stuff? I'm looking forward to that Ah-Ha moment when she hears the change.

Bill in P.G.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts