DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a commercial yesterday talking about the new Passat, they mentioned it had a new Dynaudio Sound System, i wonder how it would fair? Also any ideas on which specific drivers are being used and such, seems to me to be one of the first non-mainstream audio companies getting OEM placement into a car.

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
They (Dyn) has been producing OEM systems for Volvo for many years now. But the OEM line is more than the typical OEM systems you normally find in the USA. They are still top notch speakers. Not like the Blose systems you find in cars.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
While I'm no great fan of Dyn drivers in general, or their home speakers, or their studio monitors, I have to say they did a GREAT job with the stereo in my mother's Volvo S80, which is a multichannel affair that incorporates a center channel in the dash far more gracefully than the C70's system did. Honestly, I don't think there is room for improvement in that system with aftermarket components. At least, it's beyond my abilities.

As for the drivers, I'm sure they're pretty undistinguished, just like all Dyn stuff. However, Ford and VAG might force better unit-unit consistency on them than the drivers sold under their name tend to have. Also, the signal processing was tuned by someone who loves music, which makes all the difference when dealing with the cost constraints of an OEM audio system in even a $50k car.

If the Passat system is as good as the Volvo one, then the aftermarket stereo industry and even DIY is a waste of time for future Passat owners. Would that the car itself looked as graceful and dignified as the last Mays/Freeman Passat did. Then again, every VW and Audi designed after J Mays and Thomas Freeman left has been markedly less distinguished than the one preceding it.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I happen to like the look of the new model year Audio S8, much more than in previous years.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's a shame that Mays didn't arrange for the Recaro-made seats in the new Mustang. I sure love the ones in my wife's Jetta.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.