DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be moving my amp from under the seat into the trunk. Still working out where exactly it will be mounted. So I’ll need to run a new power wire. Right now it’s a 4 gauge. My question is, is it worth future proofing it? Just running a larger wire gauge then I need. That way any changes made down the road I shouldn’t have to run a new wire. If so what size would you recommend?

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you’re already thinking you may need it in the future, may as well do it now since you have to do a new run anyway.

0 gauge OFC is a decent start, but I suppose the question is how big do you think you’ll realistically go in the future?

And whatever size you go with, even if you decide to stay with 4ga, just make sure it’s OFC.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
309 Posts
Prudent to run larger gauge for future expansion. Also, you're probably doubling the length, which will lower how much power can be run through the same gauge wire. What amp(s) do you have now, and what kind of amp configs do you see as possible options in the future?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prudent to run larger gauge for future expansion. Also, you're probably doubling the length, which will lower how much power can be run through the same gauge wire. What amp(s) do you have now, and what kind of amp configs do you see as possible options in the future?
Right now running a JL vx700i5. Down the roads thinking of adding another 4 channel for more power to mid bass and thinking of going to a 3 way set up up front.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
309 Posts
If the 300W from that JL for the sub is sufficient, 2 gauge OFC would handle that + most 4 channel amps comfortably. If you think you're likely to go for a substantially more powerful sub amp in the future, 0 gauge would be wiser. Or go with 2ga now & you can always run a 2nd wire if you ever want more sub power. Whatever size you go for, get enough to allow for a ground wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts