DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Holy caps Batman! Someone who knows amp design please chime in on what you think of the layout. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just noticed something I've never seen. A 1000 watt amp with 2 sets of power and ground terminals. The only time I see this it's on big spl amps.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm assuming you bought this used. The 470uF 80V capacitors near the audio section are already starting to bulge/vent....

Other than that massive reliability flaw...it could be nice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHAT? I bought this thing brand fucking new! I'd be very interested in exactly what you are talking about envisionelec. :mean::mad::confused:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
WHAT? I bought this thing brand fucking new! I'd be very interested in exactly what you are talking about envisionelec. :mean::mad::confused:
Wow - then I must be incorrect. The vents on some of the capacitors around the audio output stage (near the diagonally mounted resistors) appear to be punctured with some kind of crust around some of them. I noted just one bulged, but it could be the camera angle.

Normally capacitors don't have any kind of holes in the vents - a breach here indicates they have failed during a test or were damaged in manufacturing.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Gut pics of the REF 4.760

I did find that one of the 3amps, was of a previous year or generation
1 had PMC-480-11 and the other 2 had PMC-480-12 , on the pc-board, other than that, the components seem to be identical.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off I apologize to everyone for my knee-jerk reaction to envisionelec's post. I am gonna open it back up and take a closer look. Obviously I'm hoping it's just my lack of photography skills that's causing those caps to look faulty but we'll see.
amitaF, I have a 4.760 as well and IIRC the layout on those is quite different from the 1.1000. I have had the 4.760 powering my front stage for about 6 months and really like it. If everything is ok with the new amp it will be powering my subs (no shit, right?) and I will post up some photos of the finished product when it's done.
Happy almost New Year to all!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
First off I apologize to everyone for my knee-jerk reaction to envisionelec's post. I am gonna open it back up and take a closer look. Obviously I'm hoping it's just my lack of photography skills that's causing those caps to look faulty but we'll see.
amitaF, I have a 4.760 as well and IIRC the layout on those is quite different from the 1.1000. I have had the 4.760 powering my front stage for about 6 months and really like it. If everything is ok with the new amp it will be powering my subs (no shit, right?) and I will post up some photos of the finished product when it's done.
Happy almost New Year to all!
:D I am anxiously waiting for a ref 2.370 and a ref 1.1000, too:D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Gut pics of the REF 4.760

I did find that one of the 3amps, was of a previous year or generation
1 had PMC-480-11 and the other 2 had PMC-480-12 , on the pc-board, other than that, the components seem to be identical.
This is a typical A/B amp, but interestingly, the output drivers are heatsinked right with the outputs and there is a good amount of HF compensation around them. The outputs are beefy TO-247 size.

You don't see this sort of good engineering in car amplifiers much anymore. At first blush, I am impressed. There is a question of the heatsink clamps used - there should really be another pair of screws per clamp so that the output transistors are evenly clamped. But other than this minor detail, I think it's a nice design.

I'm glad to see that the engineers chose to mix through hole and SMD technology where appropriate. Some high dissipation applications cannot be replaced with SMD - even if it looks good on paper. And bias pots!

I am definitely impressed! :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's actually quite nice. It's certainly a very unique design. I'd love to evaluate it. :)
WOW! Thanks for your input. You sound like a fair guy,you speak your mind good or bad. Just looked on the SS site and saw the 1.1000 is a class G design any thoughts on their choice to use class G over D. Thanks on any info you can provide.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after opening the amp back up and taking a close look at those capacitors I'm afraid envisionelec is right! The damn things are leaking out of the top and many of them have holes right in the center of the top of them where the four "seams" meet. I swear I think I would rather go through the trouble of replacing them myself rather than the major hassle of returning it and waiting for a replacement. I imagine what it's going to cost me to ship it back to where I got it would cover a large part of the cost of replacements. envisionelec, what do you think about this? Am I an idiot to even consider this course of action? Please advise. As you can imagine I am quite bummed.
Thanks for your help and to quote Rodger Waters, "...amazing powers of observation".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course even if I did successfully change out the caps that still does nothing to address the reason they went bad in the first place. Man, what a drag!:(

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well after opening the amp back up and taking a close look at those capacitors I'm afraid envisionelec is right! The damn things are leaking out of the top and many of them have holes right in the center of the top of them where the four "seams" meet. I swear I think I would rather go through the trouble of replacing them myself rather than the major hassle of returning it and waiting for a replacement. I imagine what it's going to cost me to ship it back to where I got it would cover a large part of the cost of replacements. envisionelec, what do you think about this? Am I an idiot to even consider this course of action? Please advise. As you can imagine I am quite bummed.
Thanks for your help and to quote Rodger Waters, "...amazing powers of observation".
I absolutely wouldn't touch it. Get Grizz Archer in here to see what needs to be done. The capacitors brands (DKE) are known to be very cheap caps and knock offs of United Chemicon. This is exactly the kind of thing that will kill a good amp...or brand for that matter. The placement for these caps is critical due to the commutation currents in the output stage of this Class G amp.
They have got to go and you should NOT be the one footing any of the bill!

Aaron

1 - 20 of 191 Posts