DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
FWIW, I really appreciate the way you handle open communication here on the board. Service like you and Andy from JBL provide is really rare and is the main reason I have been suggesting your products when friends ask what to get for their own cars.

Also, start selling the dang PPI/Soundstream 2.5" mid range driver separate of the component set!
Ya know, in the 80s, anything somebody could do right or special was treated like a secret. I hated that crap. Sharing successes is a great way to sell one's ability. Likewise, what is the big freaking deal if I am honest with all you guys. Is somebody going to look down on me for that because I always deviate from the norm? I've said it before - I come on here whenever I can to help, but also to learn from you guys. I get a lot of great feedback, as well as some ****ty feedback, but hey it is not like we all have to take an IQ and personality test to become a member. lol I'll always divulge whatever I can. If I do not have the answer, I freely admit it and get the answer form somebody that knows.

BTW, I just received 250 more 2.5" because believe it or not, the 3-ways outsell the 2-ways 2-to-1 (for PPI that has both). This seems impossible and could not have been predicted. But it has been that way since day they came out, plus, other countries, like Japan, will buy nearly have of one of our orders of 3-way components in one shot! They get it...

Anyway, I can sell the set of 2.5" to DIYMA guys for $75, BUT, like all of my team orders, orders must be $500. It costs us about $110 when you figure in receiving/warehouse/data entry/order processing/shipping/accounting, etc... Bummer, but I cannot spend time spitting out tiny orders that consume a bunch of time and cost us money. The $75 deal is for DIYMA members only, however, if you wanted to buy several sets for you mom, grandfather and cousin's dog, I could are less. This is why the DIYMA sales deal would have been great for everybody. Anyway, they are available. Just scoop or a Ref or PC amp to go with them! :D

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Despite appearances on the forums, I'm actually a fairly even-handed critic. It's just that there has been so much garbage made in the past 10 years that it has been hard to be supportive of the transformation of some of these companies' products. I know some people feel I should just leave well enough alone - and they're probably right. I don't force anyone to agree with what I observe. Me? I am always learning...I don't know everything - not even close. I just pay attention.

From a design standpoint, building a car amplifier is a nice amount of work. What isn't hard is replicating a design over and over, ad infinitum. I'm happy to see a truly different design that hasn't tried to bend the laws of physics and/or thermodynamics.

I like the departure into Class G for one reason - It's not Class D. There are so many problems with Asian-sourced Class D amplifiers. They're very hard on capacitors which are already very cheap to begin with. Their filter magnetics are often undersized and driven to saturation as they heat up to their Curie temperature and are then permanently damaged. And then they put a 30 cent fan to blow slightly-less hot air on the inductors!

Class G is less efficient than Class D at all but the lowest levels and almost as efficient near maximum power. But, I genuinely suspect that so many of these cheap Class D's have such terrible losses that their efficiency is probably overstated.

I think it was the right move to go Class G. I just hope the capacitor/power supply issue is identified and isolated quickly.
BTW, I got an email from our engineer and he advised me that the design does indeed use variable power supply voltage. I am not entirely sure what that means, but figured you would like to know...

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Ya know, in the 80s, anything somebody could do right or special was treated like a secret. I hated that crap. Sharing successes is a great way to sell one's ability. Likewise, what is the big freaking deal if I am honest with all you guys. Is somebody going to look down on me for that because I always deviate from the norm? I've said it before - I come on here whenever I can to help, but also to learn from you guys. I get a lot of great feedback, as well as some ****ty feedback, but hey it is not like we all have to take an IQ and personality test to become a member. lol I'll always divulge whatever I can. If I do not have the answer, I freely admit it and get the answer form somebody that knows.

BTW, I just received 250 more 2.5" because believe it or not, the 3-ways outsell the 2-ways 2-to-1 (for PPI that has both). This seems impossible and could not have been predicted. But it has been that way since day they came out, plus, other countries, like Japan, will buy nearly have of one of our orders of 3-way components in one shot! They get it...

Anyway, I can sell the set of 2.5" to DIYMA guys for $75, BUT, like all of my team orders, orders must be $500. It costs us about $110 when you figure in receiving/warehouse/data entry/order processing/shipping/accounting, etc... Bummer, but I cannot spend time spitting out tiny orders that consume a bunch of time and cost us money. The $75 deal is for DIYMA members only, however, if you wanted to buy several sets for you mom, grandfather and cousin's dog, I could are less. This is why the DIYMA sales deal would have been great for everybody. Anyway, they are available. Just scoop or a Ref or PC amp to go with them! :D
This is awesome!
I didn't know you could buy them separately.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

So that means the total order has to be 500.00, right?

just checking...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
BTW, I got an email from our engineer and he advised me that the design does indeed use variable power supply voltage. I am not entirely sure what that means, but figured you would like to know...
Yes, thank you! That's technically Class H. ;)

To explain - it means that the power supply voltage is modulated by the audio input so that the rail voltage is slightly above the audio output voltage by 6-10 volts. It keeps power dissipation in the transistors to a bare minimum. The concept was popularized by Carver/Sunfire and BASH and is an excellent implementation for car audio. I am impressed.

I'm very happy to see that you guys have made strides like this. I look forward to more innovation.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Just noticed something I've never seen. A 1000 watt amp with 2 sets of power and ground terminals. The only time I see this it's on big spl amps.
My Kenwood KAC1023 has two sets and its rated for 600watts or peaks of 1200watts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Just a quick update.

I finally received my replacement REF1.1000 yesterday and am happy to report that the caps look fine. Halleluiah!

It will probably be a few days before I have time to install it but when I do finish up the install I will definately share my experience with everyone pertaining to performance and such.

Really looking forward to finally taking this thing for a spin.:D

Until then......

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thats great! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks for the update. Did Soundstream ever give you a reason for the capacitor problem?

Let us know how it performs.
From what I understand they will take a look at it when it makes it back into their hands and try and figure out what went wrong.
I'm sure that when that happens Grizz being as open and straight forward as he is will share the findings with us! This, of course, is pure speculation but his record of sharing information with us here on this forum speaks for itself.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Here are the internals of the REF1.500:

These look very nice in person...a very classy new school take on an old school legend.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love gut shots. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
G circuitry, tell use what you think once hooked up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Sorry been crazy busy! Got everything installed and it sounds great. I promise to take some pics in the next few days so even though you can't hear it you can see how it looks all hooked up and ready to rock!

41 - 60 of 191 Posts