DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am back for my second install. This forum has been invaluable for me in the past and as a novice, I was able to create a system for my expedition that basically made all other cars I've been in sound err... blah, including my 335i convertible.

Now I am ready to take the plunge and start with a new system. I have decided again to stay with a completely stock look and pack in some nice upgrades. The space limitations of the car are prohibitive. If I could, I would again choose hertz hsk component speakers. They've been great in my other vehicle and have definitely improved with age.

Here is what I am thinking:

1. Stock head unit
2. Audison bitone
3. Jl hd 900/5 to power the rear component speakers and to run mono to the two under seat "subwoofers"
4. Jl hd 600/4 to power the front component speakers. One channel for each tweeter and 4" driver.
5. Speakers are two pair of Focal 100 krs for front and back
6. Under seat subs would be powered by 2 Focal ifbmw-sub 8" speakers

I am a little nervous about the space limitations of the car and am not sure where exactly the audison and amps will go. I believe I can for one amp where the stock amp went and the bitone and the other under the trunk mat. There is a small space there for this.

I have heard others state that they run the subs anywhere from 40htz to around 150-200htz. I was thinking about setting up a totally active system and dialing down the tweeters to -2-3db and setting up a sound stage that sounds crisp, clear throughout the audible range and not overly bright or harsh. I know without a real sub I will miss on some lows but with the shoebox trunk and listening to music that is largely not bass heavy like hip hop, I think this seems like a reasonable approach.

So, now, not having heard much about what a system like this can or can't do, can you tell me if I'm making the right choices here or making some obvious mistakes? I have considered other brands that seem popular with this car: earthquakes, morel, mb quart, jehnert, and rainbow. Unfortunately, rainbow's current line has some fitment issues.

Any thoughts or advise from folks with this kind of hardware would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think you are on the right track with this, but I don't think you need 4 channels of the 900/5 to power rear components, I don't see the point in going active on these..but I wont ever tell you not to do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are on the right track with this, but I don't think you need 4 channels of the 900/5 to power rear components, I don't see the point in going active on these..but I wont ever tell you not to do it.
Thank you. I was just talking to a friend and suggested I check out mosconi amps. Anyone have thoughts on them?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts