DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a new sub amp that has only 1 RCA input. Would you recommend summing the L+R channels in the DSP for the 1 output I'd be using? Or should I just use L or R? If summing, do I have to set each input channel to 50% in the mixer, or can I set each to 100%? Would summing @ 100% create clipping at the output of the DSP?

DSP is Dayton DSP-408.

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,484 Posts
Sum left 50% and right 50% to one output.

·
Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,484 Posts
On topic question here, why not just use a single L or R input, i.e. # 7/8, to output to the single input amp?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
That would be a left or right signal only. Which would be either a left stereo or right stereo signal. It would be missing information that way. Sum left and right to get a mono signal. All info is there that way. Mono is the opposite of stereo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Similar question:
Amp - Rockford with 2 RCA inputs. Minidsp CDSP.

1. Can I use just 1 RCA and run to one of amp's inputs and sum the signal L/R to 1 output?
  2. Or is it better/necessary to run 2 RCA cables to 2 amp's inputs and split the L/R signal in minidsp to 2 outputs instead of 1 output.
Will there be any difference? If so - I can use 1x more expensive and longer RCA cable instead of when 2 cables are needed.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
2,678 Posts
Depends on your amp. You could always use a Y splitter at the amp.

I run 1 channel per bass amp then split at the amp with a Y.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
2,678 Posts
I think I misunderstood your question.

Are you asking if it's better to run mono or stereo to the amp?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I will definitely test this myself, just curious if it may be wrong for pulling max output of the amp for example with using 1 rca.

The amp is 1 channel mono. But will 2 rca inputs.

I was using 1 channel amp with 1 rca input previously, so it was simple - I used 1 output in minidsp and summed L/R signal to that output.

Right now I connected it the same way, but to 1 of 2 inputs of the new amp. Does this means that I'm using only half of It's power?

Because when I will connect the second RCA I will split the signal from coax to 2 outputs L/R instead of summing it to 1 output.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts