DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new driver, with a new truck, not big into loud music, just looking to satisfy my needs. So far installed a Kenwood KDC-2025, two 6" pioneer speakers in the front. Someone gave those components to me, and it doesn't sound terrible. I'm about to incorporate the stock sub and amplifier into my setup with my new wiring harness. I know its far from the cream of the crop, its the Mach 300 system, or audiophile 300, if its in there i might as well utilize it. Now from my understanding, after I get the harness situation all ironed out and its working, i want to find a 6.5" sub I can just drop in and wire up to the factory amp. Im still getting my feet wet with all this so I would like to keep it relatively simple.

This is what im working with:

This is what im shooting for:

But all aftermarket subs I see have rca outputs, how can I rewire that to the factory amp as the pictures above were, or could someone point me in the right direction to a sub that has terminals I can desolder from the stock and resolder to that.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You will need a sub with the same (maybe slightly lower, maybe...) ohm load as factory then you can hook it up no problem. Just chop up the plug/wires at the sub and hook up, check phase. If you want you can pull the connector apart and put new wires on it.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i doubt youll hear a 6.5 inch sub in an escape, not worth the effort imo, skip the sub for now and spend your money and time getting an amp on your front speakers.

if and when you want a sub get a 10 or 12 (or 15) in a box like everyone else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you suggest I leave it be, i just figured since it was there I could make the most of it, since Im not looking to take up space in the trunk, perhaps I could modify it to fit a 8" sub?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Escape owner as well. I agree with 60 in that you probably won't hear a 6.5" sub in the back. The other picture you have is of a 8" stocker in the rear panel. That would be a bit easier to redo with a quality 8" sub and amp. But the 6.5" I think will be a wasted effort.

If you want additinal bass to match the front stage, look into an aftermarket amp and small box. The Ford amp that comes with the system will not support what you need. I run a 10" sealed enclosure with a JL 10w3v3 and it sounds amazing. Of course I have a completely revamped system with aftermarket HU, speakers, amps and sound deadening/proofing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i doubt youll hear a 6.5 inch sub in an escape, not worth the effort imo, skip the sub for now and spend your money and time getting an amp on your front speakers.

if and when you want a sub get a 10 or 12 (or 15) in a box like everyone else.
^^^This.

Everyone usually starting out goes straight for a sub...I did. After running my first external amp to my full range speakers, it is night and day. If I could have my full ranges amped only or a sub, no question I would ditch the sub.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I agree, if I were to upgrade it would not be worth doing unless a single 10...minimum. Either get a 10 & box & amp or go to the boneyard and get that larger factory enclosure and mount it in your vehicle, get a sub (that works in that cf) and amp for that. Or build an enclosure that fits in there but it looks pretty complex. A new sub is not going to get you much even an 8 is pretty weak, a high power 8 is going to thrash that box likely but could work, except single 8s are not typically impressive unless you go pretty expensive. If you don't need that much sub it could work, that tang band high xmax 8 might work or a shallow, or try to add volume to that box to help it work. I would figure out exactly what you want before you dive into it, because in this case upgrades are difficult you may as well move up to the sub size you want here so you don't have to go into it again, even if it is mis-matched to the rest of the system for the time being. You can do anything you want here, but what is really worth doing?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, i decided I dont want a subwoofer and enclosure, Im gonna keep it simple and use an amp for my front two speakers, would it make sense to buy two back speakers also and then get a four way amp? Can someone point me in the right direction for a decent amp, most of my components are older, i have older pioneer speakers that i believe are 40watts rms and 220watts max, then the rear are two stock 25watts.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Alright, i decided I dont want a subwoofer and enclosure, Im gonna keep it simple and use an amp for my front two speakers, would it make sense to buy two back speakers also and then get a four way amp? Can someone point me in the right direction for a decent amp, most of my components are older, i have older pioneer speakers that i believe are 40watts rms and 220watts max, then the rear are two stock 25watts.
A new cheap amp is going to cost the same as a good/great used amp.
I have been watching this one http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/classifieds/84196-mtx-thunder-2150x-2.html
But I don't really need another amp. That would be great for your front stage, especially if you decide to upgrade in the future.
Youll get alot of different opinions on rear fill, and I for one didn't want to give up mine - until I did. Now anything behind me just sounds unnatural to me....unless you T/A and do a ton of EQ which I am sure some have. I would just spend all your money on your front stage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
85$ Shipped is fair. So if i were to get that one or something similar I would be able to hook it up to my current two front speakers, would it be worth it to hook it up to my stock rear speakers. So this would leave room for me to upgrade the rear somewhere along the line, not really looking for a sub and enclosure, too expensive for me to not appreciate it, id rather get a double DIN touch screen.

Edit- I also have stock tweeters, would it make sense to hook an amp to that too?

·
Registered
531 Posts
85$ Shipped is fair. So if i were to get that one or something similar I would be able to hook it up to my current two front speakers, would it be worth it to hook it up to my stock rear speakers. So this would leave room for me to upgrade the rear somewhere along the line, not really looking for a sub and enclosure, too expensive for me to not appreciate it, id rather get a double DIN touch screen.

Edit- I also have stock tweeters, would it make sense to hook an amp to that too?
That amp I linked to is a 2 channel, so it would only run a front stage TECHNICALLY. If you ran all 4 off of it, you wouldnt be able to fade and it would sound bad. As for your tweets, you would run your tweets and mids in the front off the amp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats fine, i would be satisfied with that hooked up to the tweeters and speakers in the front. What are the specs im looking for in a similar amplifier just so I can shop around a little. Btw, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thats fine, i would be satisfied with that hooked up to the tweeters and speakers in the front. What are the specs im looking for in a similar amplifier just so I can shop around a little. Btw, thanks for all the help.
Np. You'll want something around 70-100 rms @ 4 ohms. Higher Signal noise ratio, and always look if you have good crossovers.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
you can get rca jack withs bare wire ends to splice into factory wiring for that purpoe, and most amps have low level inputs as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
How does something like this look? I think I could do a little better, and the one you showed me earlier may be better quality for the price.
JENSEN POWER 760 4-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER POWER760 NEW - eBay (item 310232293595 end time Jul-17-10 07:26:48 PDT)
Yeah you can do better. Buy used. I mean alot of people here will tell you Jensen is crap...which is debatable, but they probably use inferior internal components to some other more expensive brands. Either way, a 4 channel is a good idea for expandability. Look for a good used 4 chan, ill even see if I can find some links on CA or CACO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks bud i truly appreciate it, ill do some shopping around too.
Im gonna put the two speakers I have laying around here, in the rear, problem is there too big, i think my space is 6x8 and these are 6x9. Ill figure it out. (Pioneer TS-A6970R (tsa6970r) - 6" x 9" Speakers - Sonic Electronix)

Edit- Im liking this amp, probably gonna place a bid tonight. Not going higher than 70$
Sony Xplod ZR Series 4/3/2 Channel Amplifier - XM-ZR704 - eBay (item 160451524911 end time Jul-09-10 10:24:50 PDT)
Yeah, I mean $60 shipped is hard to pass up. THD ratings are a little high at 1%, but I mean its a budget amp, and can run all 4 of your speakers or an active front end. Go for it then.

As for the speakers not fitting, and is a very easy and cheap fix. Just make an MDF spacer that is 6x9, and just bolt it down. The opening 6x8 only has to be as large as the 6x9 is after 3/4" mounting depth, which is significantly less.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts