• Other - Post oppinion

Votes: 2 22.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow users,

I have 3 12" subs to choose from and I would love your help with the pros and cons of each.
These are my choices and best prices ( I don't live in the US ) and they are all used :

AA chaos 12" - 300$
ID IDMAX 12" V.3(The old design) - 355$
DC lvl 2 12" - 310$

I heard the IDMAX v.3 has a problem with its coil, any input on that?
Plus , I am looking for a sub that can play low ( high xmax ) , which one of those can handle the lows? I will be using a 2.5CF tuned to 35hz.

I plan to power the sub with a Sundown SAE1000D or a Rockford 1001D, any input on those would be great aswell!

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
How much power are you giving it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My goal is SQ/SQL and to get great low notes as in feeling+sound.
From what I know I know the xmax is important.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Its not on the list but sonicelectronix has the jbl gti on sale for $250ish .Ive never heard anything bad about an IDmax but it would be good for somebody to try something different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well since I don't live in the US I can't get subs for a decent price...
I have found these specs on the IDMAX V.3.
Specifications:

* Power RMS: 1000 Watts EIA, (1800 Watts Music Program)
* Recommended enclosure: 1.30 -1.52 cu.ft. sealed (1.8 - 2.50 cu.ft. vented
* @ 28Hz), Infinite baffle
* Xmax (linear): 24.9 mm, (0.98 inch) one-way
* Xsus (maximum): 3.5 peak to peak
* Impedance: dual 4 ohms
* Sensitivity: 1W/1M
* 93.1 dB 50-150 Hz ground plane. No 88.4 dB
* Mounting depth: 8.25“
* Mounting diameter: 11.0“

How come it gets a 93.1 db with a high xmax? I remember I read somewhere that xmax and the db was linear?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I ran an IDMAX 12 V3 sealed and ported for 3 years-ish. Ported it was in a ~2.25 cuft tuned to 32hz IIRC. I would not hesitate to run it again in the future; I loved it. Why tune to 35hz though? I would do 2.5 cuft tuned to 28 or 30hz if I could do it again. That would definitely give you the super nice low notes you are seeking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its because I got thats the only box I have ready, maybe in the future I will buy a better one.
Did you have any problems with it? I read somewhere that it had a problem with its coil hitting the inner parts.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I would say the Max but only because it's the only one of those I've heard. They definitely sound good and have lots of displacement. I've heard of coil rubbing problems but I thought that was mostly on the v2. Some say they won't take the rated power without burning a coil but considering the crowd that tended to buy them, I'm not sure I would be too concerned.

The Max had two sensitivity ratings. I believe the 93db was not the traditional 1w/1m measured around 1khz but instead it was a more accurate way of measuring sensitivity for a sub in sub frequencies. Unfortunately no other manufacturers use that rating so it's hard to compare subs. I can tell you they're not 93db efficient by traditional standards. I have the 15" version and while they're pretty efficient they're nowhere near 93db. I believe the 12" is around 87db 1w/1m but you can find the info out there, I've found it before.

If we assume the v4 subs are the same sensitivity you could check their specs out since they're more traditionally rated but I have no idea if they're the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And besides the IDMAX, are there any subs in its price range that you would prefer?
If not I think I will be going with the IDMAX.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I remember reading about the power concerns for the IDMAX, that giving them ~1000 rms could be risky, but I never had any issues in my experience. I mean, I'm currently giving 2 600 rms rated subs 2500 rms total. I think power is kind of ambiguous at a certain point, just because it's there doesn't mean it's what you're using, and if everything is correctly set up, there shouldn't be any issues :) Better too have too much than not enough.

I went through so many amps when I had my IDMAX, not because there was anything wrong with the amps, but because I just wanted to keep trying new ones. A Kenwood 8104D (500 rms [probably lower though]), a JL 500.1, an Alpine M1000, and an Audison LRX 5.1k. It sounded best off the JL 500.1 and Audison, and when I had the Audison it was *seeing* 1150 rms.

I did have to have it reconed once though. This was probably 4 years ago. I had taken it to a highly rated local shop to have a ported box built and Hertz coaxials installed, and they called me saying there was a problem with the sub (don't remember what they said exactly). It had sounded fine to me the day I brought it in (was in a sealed box) so I was pretty suspicious and annoyed, but Image Dynamics actually ended up reconing the sub for free for me, awesome customer service.

I do remember that the surround would sometimes buckle when pushed hard at very high output, but I also remember reading that that was normal for the sub. You can probably find info about that if you search on here.

I love the IDMAX sound though, it does everything very very good. I'm not familiar with many other subs in your price range, but the JBL GTi that 82cj8 recommended is for sure on my list of subs that I'd like to try and is very highly praised, especially in ported enclosures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I don't think I will get into the 1000rms area anyway so I'm good on that part!
Regarding the amps, which one would be better?
the rockford 1001bd or the sundown sae1000d? Since the rockford gives out 1krms at 2ohms while the sundown give it at 1ohm. ( idmax is d1 or d4 )

·
Registered
860 Posts
Oh man, that Rockford 1001bd looks hideous lol.

I really don't know anything about Rockford amps, but the Sundowns seem like a solid choice, I believe make rated power, and I'd choose it based on looks alone compared to the Rockford lol. If you search on here you might be able to find more info about both models. If you can get a D2 version IDMAX then I'd for sure do the Sundown (based on my limited knowledge), but if you can only get a D4 ohm version, then I dunno...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I don't mind its looks as long as it is good.
Does anyone know anything about the rockford 1001bd or the sundown SAE1000d?
would love some advice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts