DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm thinking of getting a new sub insted of my Eclipse SW9122 titanium 12". I want a sub with dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil so I can get down to 1 Ohm for I want all the power I can get from my Mono-amp. 1000WRMS @ 1 Ohm and 12,5 V

Any suggestion on a good sub that is better or at least as good as my Eclipse sub? remember that I only have 1000-1100WRMS in 1 Ohm...

My car... http://www.garaget.org/?car=2908

·
Registered
556 Posts
whats your current set up?what imp is your eclipse sub ?is your dual-mono sub amp class a-b?,what size enclosure is the eclipse in?if your looking for more output alone -your charging system if stock will need to be addressed to get anywhere near the 1000w stated on the amp, if stock i would not worry about loading the amp down to 1 ohm mono there will not be enough current to support it and the amp may fail after some time-depending on your enclosure now you can enlarge the sealed vol to allow the driver reach longer x-max with less power and may sound better while doing it,smoother response not as boomy,its less exp,or go ported with proper speaker parameters,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dodgerblue said:
whats your current set up?what imp is your eclipse sub ?is your dual-mono sub amp class a-b?,what size enclosure is the eclipse in?if your looking for more output alone -your charging system if stock will need to be addressed to get anywhere near the 1000w stated on the amp, if stock i would not worry about loading the amp down to 1 ohm mono there will not be enough current to support it and the amp may fail after some time-depending on your enclosure now you can enlarge the sealed vol to allow the driver reach longer x-max with less power and may sound better while doing it,smoother response not as boomy,its less exp,or go ported with proper speaker parameters,
right now I have a CD Eclipse CD8443 and a Eclipse PA5532 and Massive Audio D100X monoblock to the subwoofer. I have Impact speakers http://www.impact-car-audio.com/ in the frontstage.

The amp I have is a Massive Audio D100X and it puts out 1100WRMS at 14,5 V according to http://www.massiveaudio.com/broadband/support/amplifierspecs.html I have consided of getting one more Eclipse Ti 12" but I don´t known if the power is enough for 2 Eclipse Ti? I have thinking of a Image Dynamics IDMAX12-D2, DDAudio 3512 dual 2 Ohm, Adire Brahma 12MKII or a Kicker 12 L7 or RE-Audio SX12", which should I get? I´m looking for SQL.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The T/S specs on stereo integrity's website looked ok, but it looks like more of an SPL monster. Lots of power handling and excusrsion. How's does it do for SQ applications? (distortion, etc.)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
man I want a pair of those SI D2's

but cmon 350 shipped direct is a tad expensive IMO

if they were 250 they be sitting in my house already

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
SAAB-rules said:
right now I have a CD Eclipse CD8443 and a Eclipse PA5532 and Massive Audio D100X monoblock to the subwoofer. I have Impact speakers http://www.impact-car-audio.com/ in the frontstage.

The amp I have is a Massive Audio D100X and it puts out 1100WRMS at 14,5 V according to http://www.massiveaudio.com/broadband/support/amplifierspecs.html I have consided of getting one more Eclipse Ti 12" but I don´t known if the power is enough for 2 Eclipse Ti? I have thinking of a Image Dynamics IDMAX12-D2, DDAudio 3512 dual 2 Ohm, Adire Brahma 12MKII or a Kicker 12 L7 or RE-Audio SX12", which should I get? I´m looking for SQL.

I have a DD Audio 9510 dual 2 ohm in a 1.75 cu ft ported enclosure tuned to 40 Hz and so far I love it. It's powered by a Tru Hammer H-1 (1500W @ 1 ohm). It's way more than enough output for me.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
newtitan said:
man I want a pair of those SI D2's

but cmon 350 shipped direct is a tad expensive IMO

if they were 250 they be sitting in my house already
For what you get, I figured it's cheap! lol Custom tooled motor and all... :cool:

Still less than an IDMax, Brahma Mark II (when they were new), XXX, etc. :D

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
xencloud said:
The T/S specs on stereo integrity's website looked ok, but it looks like more of an SPL monster. Lots of power handling and excusrsion. How's does it do for SQ applications? (distortion, etc.)
Don't let T/S specs guide you in a decision to buy something that produces sound...listen to it first, then give an opinion of it...my opinion anyways.

SQ? Well, put it this way, I'll never be running a different woofer again. :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I really love JL w7's... I've never heard such a clean(low distortion) and quiet (low mechanical noise) sub.

·
Registered
578 Posts
npdang said:
I really love JL w7's... I've never heard such a clean(low distortion) and quiet (low mechanical noise) sub.
Having tested the Peerless XLS & Dayton Refs, you don't find these the w7 match in SQ & low mech noise???

The Diamond TDX D9 was found to be a close 2nd to the w7 in SQ in a recent online test. And I find I like the Diamond D6 & Dayton Ref HF better than the TDX.

Diamond Audio D6 comes in Dual 2ohm, as well as the TDX/D9.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I think what the thing is... is that the w7's have a very peaky frequency response when used in the recommended enclosures. The high q, low fs also tends to give you a bottom heavy response. Combine that with the fact that alot of people don't spend time tuning their subs (eq, level matching, phase adjustment, crossover)... and you get alot of people that think the subs too boomy and sloppy.

But if you just listen with test tones, comparing one sub to another ... that sub is just amazing. The tones stay very pure and clean and there's almost no noise. It's not that the Peerless xxls or Dayton ref. are not as good, they just can't hold their composure at the output levels the w7 can.

Listening to alot of highly regarded SQ subs such as Focal utopia, Aliante, etc. the tones really get dirty fast. You'd be surprised when you eliminate install from the equation, just testing sub vs. sub with tones that alot of the popular, highly recommended SQ drivers just sound nasty.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
xencloud said:
do you have any test data on a W7 nguyen?
No, but I should get some :) Not that it matters, since people tend to judge subs by their out of the box, in car frequency response rather than by their distortion performance.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts