DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am ordering a new system after a while away. SQ is important but playing off HDD or MP3 (Aux-in) is going to be ;)

Anyways this is going into a 10 year old VW golf clone (Seat Ibiza) and stealth is wanted.

HU - no idea, maybe some imported DEH PO1 (can't see any other way of getting HDD into decent DAC in the hu).

Front
Arc KS 125*4 Mini (bridged passive)
DynAudio 242gt

Back
Arc KS 500.1 (series)
2*DynAudio 182

Am I making an ass of myself here. Money is important but purchasing without auditioning is needed

Thanks/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump plus I figure the p9rs HU should fit in here nicely but the newbie in me says "what's with High, Mid, etc on the output cabling from this HU" do I must run active with this?
Actually not a bad idea except I need to buy more amps
anyway

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What do you want?

Other than the fact that I wouldn't run the Dyns passive, there's nothing wrong with your plan.

Scratch that. I wouldn't run 182s. They are great for midbass, but not the best for sub bass. If you use them primarily for midbasses, they are going to draw your stage back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to know I don't make ass of self.

About the 182's is this also not good if they are in free air (I don't plan to build enclosure). Any suggestions for suitable free air sub with low profile (truck is not big and I want to keep space usable).

Cheers/A

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I know many IB subs that would sound great, but none are low profile. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Dyn 182 probably are not a good choice and they are expensive.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
What space you have for IB subs? Go larger the better, maybe you can run shallow if they intrude. Larger will have a lower Fs, push more air, less stress on the driver (less xmax) so it does not even have to be as high of quality compared to smaller.

What kind of output are you looking for? How loud, how low?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing major, this is not a competition system. I will run the fronts active but the subs are just for filling out the sound. Space is the issue because this isn't a big car (hence arc mini's)
Cheers/A

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I would agree with Mooble, those are expensive high power subs and kind of a waste IMHO for IB use where you can't push that power anyway. The xmax is not that huge either and that is the limit for IB, not wattage. They didn't tell the Fs on the page I looked at, you want lower Fs for IB or you will need more EQ. A lot of guys here are running one 15 IB and like it, at least you would only lose space in one spot if you could fit one. A pair of cheaper 10s can do ok for music SQ type use at reasonable levels, but not really loud. Issue is 10s don't get that low, often not much under 40Hz in real output, unless you have a lot of cabin gain they can reach 30....in my experience while a 12 or 15 has a better handle on reaching down. You get less output IB than in a box, but they will have good bottom for the driver you are using. The lower you try to reach with them the less power you can run. I still try to run more cone area for more output instead of xmax it has served me well. Now if you don't care about getting low for SQ, then your sub choice might be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts