DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade the stock system in my subaru forester to a much nicer one, the stock system is truly godawful. I've already kinda figured what could go well, bearing in mind availability online with reasonable shipping or availability in aus... however am open to any suggestions, and will look into getting them, but not much is very easy to get over here in perth it seems, but if anyone knows where to go again please tell me. :)

Amp- Massive audio Nx5 (I like this cause it fits in the space under my boot floor easily and has enough power for everything (i hope!))
Sub- Old Alpine Bass ZR 12" I have lying around, planning on building a smallish (1.5-1.75cu ft) ported box for it that sims vaguely flat in WinISD.
Fronts- Not sure, maybe the Massive CK6V's but again really not sure here, I need a 6.5in component set for the fronts...
Rears- Completely unsure as there is nowhere to mount the tweeters without cutting crap which I don't really want to do, so I'll need a coax set up and have no idea what will be good coax speakers...
Headunit- Again no clue, did like a PRS-something that is now discontinued, does anyone know what superseded it? or any recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, after much research I think I've decided to go with HAT Imagine's for all the speakers, and all coaxial as that is what HAT seems to recommend in the manual, and the sail panel position for tweets in my car is pretty high and on axis, so I imagine would be louder than the door panel position. Although, what about running these active, with the tweet off the HU for the fronts if I do go comp?
Now all that's left is the HU, I believe the Pioneer 880 PRS is what I was referring to, so I'll keep my eyes out for one of these. However I do want BTA, so I'm really lost now...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Here is what you can try to do. Get all the equipment you want, except the rear speakers. Buy front speakers that are convertible between coaxial and component setup (there are several really good examples: Hybrid Audio Imagine, JL Audio C3, Massive Audio CK6V, Image Dynamics XS-65, etc). Install your front speakers and play them for a couple of months. If you don't like them move them to the back, and buy a different set.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Okay, after much research I think I've decided to go with HAT Imagine's for all the speakers, and all coaxial as that is what HAT seems to recommend in the manual, and the sail panel position for tweets in my car is pretty high and on axis, so I imagine would be louder than the door panel position. Although, what about running these active, with the tweet off the HU for the fronts if I do go comp?
Now all that's left is the HU, I believe the Pioneer 880 PRS is what I was referring to, so I'll keep my eyes out for one of these. However I do want BTA, so I'm really lost now...
If you have active capability, having HAT tweeters on axis shouldn't be a problem if properly attenuated. My right HAT tweeter is effectively on axis in sails running passive. I think it could use a little attenuation, but its ok even as is with a little eq work. But in the end, if you don't like the HAT tweeters you could always pick up some Vifa XT tweeters or Apine SPX-PRO tweeters. They supposedly sound great on axis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help!! :) I'm thinking I'll just get whichever is more available here between the HAT Imagine and CK6V, (preferably the HAT) or maybe the JL C3... how would you rate that against the HAT? I know the HAT seems to be better than the older CK6 but not sure about CK6V, could be similar performance...
I'm still very unsure about the HU, does it matter a hell of a lot for sq if I'm running passive with an amp?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Sorry I have not heard any other sets you mention. When I was shopping last time, I was thinking of buying either JL C3/C5 or HATs. Then I saw this review:

Hybrid Audio Techologies New Imagine I61-2 Review

with a claim that HATs are roughly in the same class with C5s, so I went with the HATs, which are cheaper. Besides, I like that HATs are easily bi-ampable. I would have preferred to listen them first, but I am not sure if anyone has them on board in SA. Listening speakers on a board has its own limitations IMO anyways. Another reason to buy HATs is Hybrid Audio's reputation. Until very recently, they made only speakers that cost 2 to 4 times the price of HAT Imagines, and those were considered among the best speakers at any price, point. While Imagines are lower end than HAT Clarus and Legatia, I am sure there is a lot of trickle down technology in them coming from years of experience from designing Legatia and Clarus speakers.

Here is another review comparing HATs with older CK6:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/105688-hat-i6-vs-massive-ck3.html

Looking at all of these reviews, it seems like these are all fine speakers. If I was you, I would buy two different sets, whichever is more easily available to you, and do an A/B comparison, then move the "inferior" speaker to the rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! after reading those I'm thinking that the CK6V's could be better for me, I'm likely to go just coaxial as I won't have attenuation on the tweets, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be entirely balanced without that... It said that the CK6III's tweets came alive in the kick panels, so I imagine that the CK6V's would be even better... Also they are quite alot cheaper. I have a few questions...
Does DAT ship overseas?
Is sonicelectronix legit enough to take a return if it dies in the first month or so?
I tried to get massive to tell me if there is an authorised reseller in WA but they haven't yet.

Also on the HU, I think i've narrowed it down to the JVC KW-XR810 or the Pioneer FH-P8000BT.. Can't really pick between them but the JVC can change the colour of the lights to fit in with the OEM look, and the Pioneer has a better EQ, I think...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I recommend to pick a head unit with left/right time alignment. I think there will be a huge improvement in SQ. TA is specially effective if you keep the speakers in coaxial form.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, I can't really find HU's that have all the features I want, don't have a touch screen, and are reasonably priced with that... :/ I do plan on getting a MS-8 though when I can afford it as my next upgrade... Is it only really the processing features that's the main difference if it's a good quality HU?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'd look at these if these are available

Jvc Kd-A925bt
Kenwood KDC-x995
Sony DSX-S310BTX

I think advanced DSP (active crossover, advanced equializer) and clean preamp is what really counts, so I wouldn't put the above in the top tier. They do have nice sets of features for budget installs. Of course, if you can buy MS-8, then just pick the unit the most convenient non-sq features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, thanks for that, I'll look into it... :) Yeah I do plan on getting an MS-8(or other DSP) down the track, oh wait, I could afford miniDSP now, is this a horrible idea? :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts