DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the new Tang Band W4-1320SB. the single driver guys are going nuts over it - "I have tried several of the Tangband drivers in the past and thought they were OK but nothing special. This driver is special in my opinion. It really does convey the emotion in the music."(quote from here)

With all the talk about mids lately I figured I'd bring up this one as it looks like it could be a contender...

-Jeff

·
Registered
164 Posts
It looks very good to me. Response is nice and smooth, decent xmax of 3mm combined with 4 incher's surface area means it should play realistically down to 100-150Hz depending on your output needs. Distortion should be decent thanks to the copper rings. And for 40 bucks, i doubt you could go wrong. Looks like an excellent speaker to me, pending someone sending it to npdang for testing :)

I definitely would buy one of these for myself if i had a use for it. Only 4 incher which i think could be clearly better would be something like the peerless exculsive or maybe the FR125, both are more expensive.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Well there's $40 in the speaker testing fund, let's buy this sucker and test it?

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
Where do I send money for the speaker testing fund. I was eyeing this driver a few days ago when I recieved my new parts express Catalog and I was looking at the W4-1052A 4" from TB and saw the above driver.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would love to see it tested! :D

How about a cheap mid comparison, these drivers are under $15 and as far as I can tell the best 2' and 3" options availible:
TANG BAND W2-880SC $14 2" driver - looks good above 300khz
HI-VI B3S $10 3" driver - looks very nice.

I'm thinking of making little speaker pods on the dash with one of the above two and this $4 tinny tweeter(looks clean above 3.5k or so, perfect match for these drivers) could be a real sweet setup me thinks, but I wonder how full the sound will be.

I have the above drivers and tweet on the way, but their so cheap you might as well just buy them instead of me sending mine :) Zaph audio tested all these and they looked really good. I'd love to see what you think of them and their so cheap!

Yeah, is there a paypal account or something for contributions?

·
Registered
531 Posts
geoffire said:
I would love to see it tested! :D

How about a cheap mid comparison, these drivers are under $15 and as far as I can tell the best 2' and 3" options availible:
TANG BAND W2-880SC $14 2" driver - looks good above 300khz
HI-VI B3S $10 3" driver - looks very nice.

I'm thinking of making little speaker pods on the dash with one of the above two and this $4 tinny tweeter(looks clean above 3.5k or so, perfect match for these drivers) could be a real sweet setup me thinks, but I wonder how full the sound will be.

I have the above drivers and tweet on the way, but their so cheap you might as well just buy them instead of me sending mine :) Zaph audio tested all these and they looked really good. I'd love to see what you think of them and their so cheap!

Yeah, is there a paypal account or something for contributions?
i'm currently using their other 2" driver for a center channel in my car....thinking about adding another one to it today since i've got it sitting around....their top end is pretty damn nice....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres 3 2"ers on parts express now, I guess they bought out another company and now theres a huge huge selection of 2-4" TB drivers.... (take a look) you have the 4ohm one? I was thinking of the 880 because of the phase plug vs dust cap and the new one has a weaker looking basket. probably can't go wrong with either one though...

-Jeff

·
Registered
531 Posts
i'm using the 852-se....supposed to be 4 ohm....but on the label on the back it says 8 ohm....

i wonder how much better the top end on the 880 is with the functional phase plug and not just a phase plug looking dust cap :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
oh yeah..the bamboo cone one..! im quite interested as well!

ill put in for the speaker testing fund..whats the average everyones put in..?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I believe his $40 is actually the Werewolf->Cheapboy most useful ECA member fund, which he's kindly donating into the speaker test fund? That's my guess anyways.

I don't think there was a speaker fund PP posted yet ..

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
As soon as he sets up a fund destination i have a few dollars to be sent as well.

I'd really like ALOT of midranges to be tested. I find that we have enough tweeters that are more than proven, as well as midbasses, and subs, but i find the pickings to be the slimmest in the midrange section. Finding an affordable, more than adaquet midrange to cover the whole vocal range and a little lower would be most likely a benifit to alot of people out there. As i find around this board, alot of people looking for just that. A midrange that can cover a wide range...and very well, without breaking the bank.

So this tangband should be tested i think......just to add to the pool of more usable midranges.

BTW it might just be me, if there right that frequency response looks AWESOME....I'd need to use the 8ohm model because of power....i wonder if it could take [email protected] It has 3mm xmax, 89db sens. 75hz FS, and says response from 75-20k....i wonder how off they are? There is the huge imp rise at 75hz though, Were talking starting at 400hz and increasing to 28ohms from 400 to 75hz.....

How well would this driver really do? As it looks really impressive...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I would like to find a small driver that really could be used full range without the need for a tweeter... reminds me of the something along the lines of the Pluto project but capable of a lower crossover point, somewhere around 300-500hz...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Although I am very interested in trying a 4" midrange, the ones I am looking at appear very limited in power handling capability (in the range of 20 to 50 watts). How are others dealing with this without overpowering these little guys?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
No one really uses more than 10-15w max for midrange frequencies... even though their amps maybe considerably more powerful.

I went ahead and ordered one of these TB's for testing. Will post more info on the speaker test fund later.

·
Registered
415 Posts
300Z said:
I would like to find a small driver that really could be used full range without the need for a tweeter... reminds me of the something along the lines of the Pluto project but capable of a lower crossover point, somewhere around 300-500hz...
http://www.jvc.com/presentations/WoodConeSpeakers/

ive auditioned the 3 3/16" systems, they actually sound quite nice down below for their size (ported box) and pretty good top end too (for a ~3.5" driver). the midrange/vocal range is a little exagerated but that can be easily tuned down (couldve been an processor thing).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts