DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when i was back in pittsburgh, it seemed like that 90 percent of the cars i would get to work on were 5 or 10 years old...very seldomly did we have a brand new ride come into the shop.

when i moved out to california, it was a complete reversal, as i would say a good 85 percent of the cars we work on are 5 years or younger....kinda odd when i think about as california weather is certainly better for preserving older vehicles and burgh. :)

So it is actually delightful to work on an older vehicle once in a while...and this project, features a very cool ride indeed: an 1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4.

Jesse and JOey teamed up on this project while i just did the final tuning...and what made it really cool in my opinion is that while the car is for sure older tech, the system we installed utilized some neat new technology, like the Mosconi AMAS BT streaming and a customer supplied Pono player by neil young.

First off, the goals:

1. to achieve a nice level of sound quality but still maintain the traditional interior appearance of the vehicle (no door pods, no dash pods etc)

2. delete rear seat but preserve a durable perch for the customer's best friend to sit on during rides as she LOVES taking trips in the 964! :)

3. integrate the Mosconi AMAS2 and Pono player into the mix as main signal sources.

Lets get started:

here are three pictures of the car itself, i have a soft spot for older porsches, as does JOey, so this was quite a treat to have in the shop, i have never really seen a 964 carrera 4 in person before...love the proportions!

First up are some pictures of the battery fusing termination upfront. Jesse fabricated a metal bracket, tapped to allow the stinger fuse block to bolt in, and then it self bolts into a rivetnut at the front of the car. the main power cable is then run into the interior and loomed and secured along the way.

After some discussions, it was decided that the Blaupunk Reno II radio would be kept in place, as really, any other unit that is available now would look a bit out of place. instead, we decided to utilize the mosconi AMAS module and a Pono player as the main signal sources. To make this work required two things, a Mosconi DSP controller upfront to provide master volume and other controls, and also a mini jack that is inputted into the DSP as that is the only output the Pono player has.

the hard part here is fabricating a DSP controller mount that looks like it belongs in the car, but still places the controller at the finger tips of the driver.

I think Joey came up with an awesome solution. it takes place of the original as tray and painted to match the rest of the interior. there is also a mini jack port on the passenger side of the housing to allow the Pono player to plug into. here it is:

here is the pono player plugged in:

and here is his iphone, which is the other main signal source that streams via the mosconi AMAS:

it should be noted that the Blaupunk headunit is still hooked into the system so the customer can use it to listen to radio from time to time if he needs it. With this setup, the customer also gained hands free bluetooth capability throughout the car via the AMAS' hands free mic setup. :)

lets take a look at some build pics of this mount. first, a mold was taken of the stock astray door. this provides a solid mounting base for the pod itself.

he then fabricated the main controller housing out of acrylic, and blended it in with the base portion:

so how this work is that the controller actually bolts to the base portion which is then bolted to the car, while the housing is a slip on cover that secures to the base. here you see that break down:

he then soldered a mini jack port and lead out RCA leads:

the base portion, after sanding, is then upholstered, and the controller mounted to it. you can see the mounting and interlocking system in these pictures:

here is the base bolted back into the car, with the DSP controller cable andt he rca cable for the mini jack port lead through:

and then dsp controller was wired up and bolted in place, after this, the mini jack was simply hooked to the rca cable, andt he outer housing slipped on and secured:

moving onto the front stage. as mentioned the idea was to have a nice level of sound quality but still maintain an oem appearance. So here is the finished product...from afar, it looks very stock:

but look closer and you will spot a Morel Titanium Elate 6.5" midbass on the bottom with a mesh grille that Morel sent us instead of the usual octopus grille that it comes with, and a Morel Supremo Piccolo tweeter in the oem tweeter housing:

similar view of the passenger side:

Jesse did the front stage work and while the end result looks very simple, it was actually quite a bit of work. first, new wires were run into the door and the door sound proofed with a combination of STP cld damper and Focal BAM. Since the oem door card literally sat right on the metal skin in most places, the normal layering process we do isnt feasible.

the outer door skin also got their share of blackhole tiles, and note the four rivet nuts installed into the metal around the speaker opening.

the same process on the passenger side:

now to properly locate the speaker...what needed to happen was that the door card opening was enlarged a little bit, the oem weather barrier cup was removed, and then a spacer baffle was needed in BETWEEN the door card andt he door panel. here is the morel titanium elate with the two spacer rings, note that they are profiled at certain spots to clear the gap between the door panel and the door card:

and here are the two rings after they were coated with several layers of truck bedliner:

unfortunately, with how the speaker is mounted, there was no real way to take a picture of the door panel before the speaker went on. basically, four bolts goes through the speaker, the grille, the door card, the spacer ring and bolts to the rivet nut behind it.

here are the pictures of the tweeter nets to the oem tweeter housing, again, looks very simple, but if you look closely, you will see that there is a very thin 1/8" acrylic ring that is bonded to the oem base. the reason for this is that the stock base was weakened to the point of disintegrating after all these years, already cracked and broken at various places and if we tried to actually mount the heavy piccolo tweeter to it, it probably would have dissolved :D. so jesse fabricated this little spacer to tie it all together and give the whole thing some integrity. it is also thin enough that the twist on oem grille can still fit and clear the tweeter dome:

here are two pictures of the wiring bundles as it travels from the front of the car to the back, sine the stock carpet is glued in place, and we had to peel it up and reglue it, there are no pics of them under the carpet :)

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so thats it for the front, moving to the rear seat area. the goal here was to remove the rear seat and build a structure that not only provides a home for the subwoofer, amp and dsp, but also give the owners dog a good place to perch on road trips.

so this is what Joey came up with. the main structure is wrapped in factory matching vinyl, and for the normal view, a plate that has been carpeted with porsche spec carpet sits on top, giving the dog a comfortable place to sit. there is a slot on the passenger side to allow a downward firing illusion audio C10 subwoofer to vent. simple and clean, and something that blends into the interior:

pop off the top carpeted plate, and you see the rest of the structure is also wrapped in vinyl. a cut out press fit plate on the driver side reveals a single arc audio xdi 1200.6 that powers the entire system, sending 4x150 watts upfront, and 600 watts to the downward firing illusion audio c10.

to gain access to the amp and dsp for tuning and or servicing, one simply pops off the plate and everything is right there:

now lets take a look at this rather simple looking structure, and once again, it is some what complicated underneath.

the most of the box is actually a single piece. here Joey seems to have forgotten a few pictures, but basically, it consists of a top plate, a front plate, and a bottom plate, with a fiberglass side wall that makes up the sub enclosure that is molded to the car.

this whole piece was then wrapped in tan vinyl:

and here you see the whole structure flipped upside down, and the subenclosure stuffed with blackhole stuff, and wired up. the illusion C10 was then wired up and installed:

this structure was then bolted to the vehicle.

this is the combination rack that houses the dsp and the amp, it is designed to drop into the opening on the driver side and bolted into the main structure.

and finally, here is the top plate for the pup that slides in and press fit into place, and also the top plate that frames the amp after upholstery:

so thats it...truly one of those builds that is deceivingly simple from the outside, but required some engineering to design and build.

so how does it sound?

with the oem speaker locations, the main downside is that the center image isnt as solid and anchored as some of the other cars we have done...however, virtually everything else was really really good...beyond my own expectations. after tuning, the freq response was just bitchin...smooth, yet with great detail, and both the AMAS and the Pono player sounded virtually identically. the midbass impact was also excellent but the subbass provided by the c10 in this downward firing design was among the best i have ever heard. blends in 100 percent with music, have great extension (down to 20hz and below) and impact, and just overall was a joy to listen to at any volume.

best of all, unlike some other older vehicles we have worked on, this thing was virtually rattle free for the most part...a testament to the build quality of porsche over the years. truly an enjoyable car to listen to with a wide genre of music.

and of course, the absolutely most important criteria was satisfied when the owner brought his girl to the shop for pick up and she settled into her new digs immediately and didnt want to leave...she absolutely loved it! :)

until next time,

cheers :)

Bing

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always love the 'Simplicity' [cough, cough] builds.
The dog photo is like the cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. <- why if I spelled that right does it look so wrong???

·
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
874 Posts
Looks as good in the photos as it did in person - but standing near it I had no idea that enclosure was so complex.
Great job as always, guys.

I need to see if one of those Pono players will fit in the sunglasses holder near my Aux input...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
SO GLAD I FOUND THIS!!!!

FINALLY you got your hands on an air cooled Porsche. I have been
waiting for this for a VERY long time to see what you would come
up with! The wait was worth it..... You built the rear of the car much
like I have envisioned in my own 911. Porsche made a rear enclosure
storage bin almost the exact size of what was built here. I often get
told how simple it will be to make something like this hold what all I
am trying to put in the rear of my own car. Now that you have built
this perhaps I wont get so much slack. Though I am trying to put 3
amps, and another 10, 2 processors, and all the power/fuse/ground
distro.....

LORD how I wish I were closer so I could just hand over my car
and have it done once and for all.. :)

Questions and sorry if I missed it.

To secure the rear enclosure and such, did you guys use the center
bracket that is used for the seats? Also, what did you use for the
ground points of it all in the rear?

Thanks, and as always AWESOME work!
Scott

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
ive got a soft spot for aircooled german stuff. I really dig the install, I think the only thing I would have changed\added is to remove the rear seat back and build a matching panel to the amprack\subbox. but at that point id be nit-picking and I have no right to do that toward you guys :D

awesome as usual bing :) I wish I lived in cali near you guys.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
ive got a soft spot for aircooled german stuff. I really dig the install, I think the only thing I would have changed\added is to remove the rear seat back and build a matching panel to the amprack\subbox. but at that point id be nit-picking and I have no right to do that toward you guys :D

awesome as usual bing :) I wish I lived in cali near you guys.
I don't mean to butt in here. But the rear seat backs were
removed. The panel you see is what is behind the small
seat backs. The seat backs have rather large side bolsters
to hole the occupants in place. When the seat backs are
folded down this is the panel you see.

cheers
Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts