DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning: long winded!

I've been going back and forth between doing a 3-way front stage + sub(s) using an H701 (thanks to this forum! :rolleyes:) and just going for a simple 2-way + sub for my ext cab Silverado. It seems like I change my mind daily about what I want to do. Time and money versus audio sweetness. Well, I had ordered some Vifa tweets (d26nc-55-06 and BC25SC15-04)and some 3" fullranges (Peerless 830986 and Vifa TC-9) to audition in my a-pillars, and they've been sitting here staring at me. I finally got a bug up my ass today and made some temporary baffles out of cardboard just to see if I would even be remotely interested in the a-pillar setup.

I tried the 830986/d26nc combo powered by a PPI 4100AM. I mated them up to my ED 6.5's in the doors. With my preliminary x-over points it sounded like ASS and I was tempted to scrap the idea. But I kept playing w/the x-overs and next thing I know, BAM! It just came to life! It is still not perfect by any means, and I'm definitely going to try out the other set of tweeters and fullranges. But now I am positively going to go 3-way up front.

I need to order some midbass drivers. The ED's are just not going to cut it. What would you guys recommend to mate up w/the 830986 or TC-9? I was thinking the 6.5" SLS's. Only thing I'm concerned about is the 3-incher's ability to play down to 200hz at a decent volume. (I do like to crank it sometimes!) They didn't seem to like anything less than 400 or so on the temporary baffles, but I figure they'll gain some low end w/some proper enclosures. So what do ya think?

Oh, and I have an A404 that I will bridge to the midbasses and they'll be going in the door of a '99 Silverado. (Should I try for 8's in there?!)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The 6.5" SLS drivers should be a good choice, but they're out of stock everywhere in the US it seems and they want $49 shipping to send a pair from overseas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OF COURSE! And I'm sure any one who is actually willing to part with theirs will be asking a pretty penny! So what's another good option for me?

Oh, and I think I'd like to stick to the 6.5"-7"ers. And probably stay in the $200/pr range tops if I can.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since no one likes to reply, I just went ahead and ordered a pair of Mach 5 MLI65's and a pair of SLS 8's. The 6.5's will go in for the time being, and if I feel I need more then I'll do some fabrication to get the 8's in the doors. If not, then the 8's will go in my other truck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mach 5 ,and the SLS8 ,am i reading right :confused:
So the M5 is midbass.
Ans the SLS is sub. ?

Reread you last post^^.
The SLS can really shake your doors. Make sure you build them strong. But they can play looooooowww pretty easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I have a feeling they might be a little much for this install, but they would be perfect for the other truck that I'll be working on after this one.

For a sub, I think I'm going to start out with a Mag V4 on my A600 and kind of go from there. If I need more sub I'll step up to 2 of those and a more powerful amp.

Now I just have to wait for the semester to end so I can get the front stage installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts