DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car I am upgrading is my girlfriend's 2002 Cavalier. The stock speaker sizes are 4x6 up front and 6x9 in back. I planned on replacing the front with a component set but I am not sure of one that would fit. The 6x9s I have no idea what to replace with, either a 6x9 or a 6" I assume. If it helps, I plan to spend around $500 on the speakers and an amp. Also, the bass isn't the main focus, but is neccessary. I would like to have a nice balanced sound, with crisp highs and relative mids and highs. Any suggestions on sizes, brands or models are greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
research, research, and research before you buy.

also, this is DIY Mobile Audio, so most of the stuff we talk about here are DIY drivers with Active crossover setups. - but for good sounding components at reasonable prices, i recommend the Alpine SPX-177r's for ~$220 online price; and the Oz Audio Matrix series components for ~$500 retail, but you can find them for ~$300 online...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yea, I'm still debating whether I can build a better DIY setup for less than the cost of either of those sets......

The only advantage I see to spending the extra cash for the DIY setup will be the extra output of the nice 7" drivers, but it also costs me more to power those 8 ohm drivers the way I'd like to.........

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
It's really tough to replace 4x6 and 6x9's with anything of quality. If you can squeeze a 5.25" upfront, there are a LOT of good choices.

In your situation, I'd look at the 5.25" Alpine type-x component set ~$150, plus a Dayton HF 12" subwoofer from partsexpress.com. Should leave you about $200 for an amp. THere's plenty of good 4 channel amps at that price. So you should be a little overbudget on a wiring kit, but the quality of all these drivers is definitely top of the line.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
xencloud said:
Yea, I'm still debating whether I can build a better DIY setup for less than the cost of either of those sets......

The only advantage I see to spending the extra cash for the DIY setup will be the extra output of the nice 7" drivers, but it also costs me more to power those 8 ohm drivers the way I'd like to.........
Funny that you say that... Imo you can always build a cheaper DIY set that's equivalent in performance to a retail set. Of course building a no compromise diy set is going to be expensive :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
^that's my problem, I'm either going budget or all out, I can't really decide yet if I want to shell ou the moolah yet......I don't like doing anything half ass.

If I go DIY, I'd like to go with a good 8" driver, the trius mid, and still undecided on the tweet.....planar ribbons? I'd love to wait for that compact LCY car driver.....

·
Registered
251 Posts
hey fellas i'm havin that same delima, my gil has a 98 malibu with 4x6''s in the front doors and 6x9's in the rear. i was thinkin about just replacing the stock 4x6's with a set of DEI studio 3045s they are mounted on a 4x6 plate already. and than run some kind of mid bass in the kicks for more bass up front. what do u guys think? would this work?

Mike

·
Registered
374 Posts
That 98 Malibu will fit a 6.5" speaker with some modification. I've done it, though it's a bit of a pain in the ass. You must destroy the plastic 4x6 "baffle" and make another one out of MDF. You'll want a speaker with under 3" mounting depth or otherwise you won't be able to roll the windows all the way down. Without destroying the plastic baffle you can fit a 5.25" speaker in there reasonably well but it'll lack mid bass bad. BTW if that Malibu is a V6 3.1 or 3.4 watch out because those engines are ticking time bombs for failure (I'm out $6k because of GM refusing the acknowledge it's a lemon).

Ryan

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
^^^ as stated a 6.5 shallow driver will fit in there i have also donr it with no problems, i would get as large of a mid in there as you can. i.e a 6.5" or there are even some great 5.25" ones also but the 6.5 is the way to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
|Tch0rT| said:
That 98 Malibu will fit a 6.5" speaker with some modification. I've done it, though it's a bit of a pain in the ass. You must destroy the plastic 4x6 "baffle" and make another one out of MDF. You'll want a speaker with under 3" mounting depth or otherwise you won't be able to roll the windows all the way down. Without destroying the plastic baffle you can fit a 5.25" speaker in there reasonably well but it'll lack mid bass bad. BTW if that Malibu is a V6 3.1 or 3.4 watch out because those engines are ticking time bombs for failure (I'm out $6k because of GM refusing the acknowledge it's a lemon).

Ryan
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would ask anyways.

Is 3" the max mounting depth for the front speakers? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd say stick to under 3" otherwise you won't be able to roll the window all the way down. The window will hit the magnet. Unless you plan on cutting up the door panel then you could just make a baffle as big as you need it but if not keep it under 3". A speaker with 3" depth with a 1/2" MDF baffle the window will hit the magnet... Malibu's are a PITA to fit anything with SQ in mind for the mids/highs. Not to mention again the V6 3.1 & 3.4's are ****.

Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.