Discussion Starter #1
My setup:
HU JVC KD-A815
Amp Infinity Kappa 5 chanel, 50Wx4+200x1-4ohm or 75wX4+300x1-2ohm
Front components infinity kappa 60.9cs 6.5" 90w rms nominal imp 2ohm
Rear speakers infinity kappa 693.9i 6x9 2 way 110w nominal imp 2ohm
Sub 1 fosgate svc 10" RL1 in a sealed box 150w rms
Ran 4 gauge wire to amp 16 gauge to speakers and 14 gauge to sub
Amp gains set at 12.1 volts to speakers and 27.9 volts to sub with volume set at 33 of 50 on HU.
Fronts are crossed at 60kHz rears at 90kHz and sub At 80Hz and sub sonic at 30Hz sub voulme set at 6 out of 8 in HU and boost set yo 0db in amp
I have a few problems with this set up the first is that the amp will go on self protect mode when the voliume is higher than 27 of 50 on the HU whe i play alternaive rock or heavy metal. Also if i cross the fronts at 90 or 120kHz the sound in the front is empty and hollow. Also the sub doesnt seem to be very loud. Being my first car audio system im just learning as i go. I would appreciate any advice and help to try to make this set up as best as i can.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I have the 4ch kappa amp, its all 4 ohm not had any issues with it. Put a DMM on the power at the amp, then run it hard while watching it, see if the voltage falls way down. If so check bad connections or bad ground. Also make sure you have a body to battery ground at the battery, it does not have to be 4ga as it will be short.

First, xover is typically 80hz and work from there. I'd run the 6x9 low as you can under 80 if you can. The 6.5 you might run 80 might need to go little higher. If you like it loud note that is not a huge amp if you get into clipping you need a larger amp.

I don't go by voltage I run it into clipping at top of HU range then dial back on whatever amp is too strong to balance them. Since sources are all different I try to set it up so the quietest is able to run at max volume, though my HU does not clip and others might. That is usually an older CD that is lowest input level.

One 10 is not going to have that much bass unless its big xmax and you run more power. On the other hand a lower power rated sub will have more on lower power. I ran a 225rms MTX 10 in a .8cf sealed it was pretty good SQ, used various 150-300rms amps on it. But, it was never going to shake the car like my IB 15s do now even on only 350rms. Running the SS filter at 30Hz can help it take more power but you might lose some bottom, if it can get that low. It is something you will have to play around with. Also move the sub around if you can, often its better aimed at rear of car with box at front of trunk, but not always. If the sub is hot around 50Hz and above (gets loud there) you can stuff it with poly and try that. You can use a little boost as most are around 30-40Hz then turn the gain down a little, but be careful you don't xmax it trying to get it to play lower with more power than its rated for.

When I tune initially I turn on only the fronts and get it to sound good as I can, then I add the rears to it much as I can without messing up the stage. Then finally I add the sub in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advise, i checked voltage at the amp power terminals and get 14.1 volts at low volume 13 to 12 volts at mid to high and 11.8 volts at really high volume. The ground connection is clean and solid to the chasis. I will play around with the xover to see if i get an improvement. Do you think i can get louder bass by hooking another 10"x 150 rms in parallel to my existing 10" that should give me a 2 ohm load wich my amp pushes an extra 100 amps at that load?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts