DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the DIY area of car audio. Ive heard that it can be cheaper and can get more for your money, and since Im on a college kid budget, thats right up my alley. I have a average set-up right now, Pioneer DEH-7700, Kicker KX600.1 on a 1 cube foot box with a 05 type R Alpine. Im running my pioneer 3-way 4x6s up front and Rockford 5.25"s in my rears. Now the vehicle Im putting them in a 03 Wrangler. So the 5.25"s are going in the soundbar, kinda like already made pods. Now Im just pretty much interested in replacing the 5.25"s and not the 4x6 because you can't really hear them(too much outside interference :) ). Ill prolly be running a 2-channel Alpine or DEI amp to them...Something small like 70-80 watts. I listen to anything and everything, from Rock to Classical to Talk to Techno. And Im interested in doing basic 2-way components.....again college kid budget so maybe bout $200-$250 for the entire set. Thanks for reading my long story, any input is well appreciated.

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
Most sound quality people will tell you not to spend any more money on your rear speakers. Put all your money into the front stage. Where/how are the front speakers mounted in a wrangler? With $250 and a little of your own labor, you could get a lot more out of your system than amping the rear speakers.

Dan

·
Registered
242 Posts
aja1732 said:
I listen to anything and everything, from Rock to Classical to Talk to Techno.
Peerless HDS: Very detailed and revealing with an agressive sound. The price is right too, they're about 90 bucks for a pair.

www.madisound.com

if you're a Rhythm and blues lover like me than these aren't for you...but from what you listed that isn't the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the big thing is the front stage are 4x6s and they are pretty much aming at the waist and you can't really hear them over the 5.25s because they are right above your head, the sound bar basically is connected to the roll bar right above you, so all you hear is the 5.25s plus the 4x6...just dont do much lol...sooo what kinda tweeter n xover would be good to math up with that? I plan on mounting the xover inside the pod behind the speaker. and might mount the tweeter around the same area...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive been researching some more information on the different mids and tweets, but I have a question though. What is off axis preformance for a tweeter? And can somebody explain nonlinear distortion? Im just trying to understand these reviews a little better. Is it good to stick with same brand woofers and tweets? or can you mix and match? Ive been looking at the Seas 27TDFC tweeter and the Scan Speak 9500. Comments on this selection? Good? Bad? Like I said Im still pretty new to this and trying to learn.
Thanks

·
DIYMA lurker
802 Posts
DearS said:
off-axis response...it means what the tweeter sounds like wjen your not directly pointing your head at it.
Or rather, when you're not pointing it directly at your head. I think you described the off-axis response of your ears. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I got both of those down...now on to the speakers....so any recommendations on tweeters and a xover to go with the peerless drivers? Are the tweeters I chose a good match? What should I look for in order to match them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I guess no responses....Ill make it easier...what are good combos out there that are components and 5.25" woofer?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd say maybe a Vifa mg 5.25" 4 ohm, mated to an LPG tweeter. Crossover can be as simple as a cap for the tweeter, and an lpad.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd say a cap around 3khz, and maybe an adjustable lpad so you can attenuate the tweeter. If you can go active even better, just use your headunit/amp's crossovers and level control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so this is what Im going with Vifa MG 5.25" 4 Ohm, LPG tweeter 25NFA. Now here are two ideas on hook-up....
1.Run my 4x6s and Tweets off HU and hook-up external amp to 5.25", 4 channel, so it will have my xovers i need. Is there a way I can hook up all 4 channels to the 5.25"? or not?

2.Run the 4 channel amp to just the 5.25" and tweets and let the deck power the 4x6s.

Now if I didnt want to go external amp now could I run both the tweets, 5.25" and the 4x6s all off the deck? I know it wont be that loud, but its just a question.
Thanks a whole bunch,
Adam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts